ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pairing true sub with TurboSound 718  (Read 12836 times)

matthew kistner

Pairing true sub with TurboSound 718
« on: March 04, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »

For those that have experience with turbo sound are there any current recommendations for a different subwoofer that can be paired with the TSW-718, that would compliment them well and run below the 50hz line, running these with flood lights,  Mostly edm related events, looking for a sub to put under 2 of the 718 to create a dance stack.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 06:55:09 PM »

are there any current recommendations

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
Re: Pairing true sub with TurboSound 718
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 03:56:28 PM »

For those that have experience with turbo sound are there any current recommendations for a different subwoofer that can be paired with the TSW-718, that would compliment them well and run below the 50hz line, running these with flood lights,  Mostly edm related events, looking for a sub to put under 2 of the 718 to create a dance stack.

What about another pair of TSW-718s?  Just because the spec sheet says they are 4 dB down at 50Hz does not mean they will need something different to reach frequencies below 50Hz.
Colorado Springs, CO

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 07:56:40 PM »

What is your budget?  Is that for speakers or also amps?

How many 718s are you looking to use?

If you are using 2 it is one thing-if you are using 40, then that is a different story.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

chuck clark

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 08:52:40 PM »

Mr. Lascuola is right. In blocks of 4, TSW-18's acoustically couple and yield an increase of 6db output an octave below single box spec which should work nicely whilst maintaining good impact from not adding an out of phase woofer with different path length to the drivers. Have a great day!
Chuck

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 07:45:31 AM »

Mr. Lascuola is right. In blocks of 4, TSW-18's acoustically couple and yield an increase of 6db output an octave below single box spec which should work nicely whilst maintaining good impact from not adding an out of phase woofer with different path length to the drivers. Have a great day!
Chuck
Of course the rest of the response will also be 6dB higher-so the "net" increase in lower freq in relation to the upper freq of the cabinet is next to nothing.

So it is not going any lower-just the more cabinets are getting louder.

Sure 30Hz gets louder-but so does 60Hz and so forth-so the ratio stays the same (give or take)

I hear all the time about how adding multiple horn subs together extends the low freq response.

HOWEVER I have never seen ANY measured evidence of this.

The horn subs I have MEASURED (in singles and multiples) do not extend the low freq response (in relation to the rest of the cabinet) by more than a Hz or two, when used in multiples.  Certainly not an octave.

What the multiple sub DO offer is a better impedance loading to the air-which smooths out the bottom of the response curve making it "appear" to have more low freq, but in reality it is not going any lower.
The ripples in the response are just smoothed out-giving more "overall energy" on the bottom-but not lower.

I would love to see some evidence that would prove me wrong-and I will take back what I say.  But as of now I stand by my experience and measurements.

What I would like to see is 1-2 and 4 subs measured using the same drive voltage with maybe 2-3Hz resolution.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 11:58:03 AM »

Since anything you pair with the Turbosounds will easily handle the upper bass too, you might as well just replace the Turbosounds.

Adding a second pair is also an option if you want to stick with them. Looking at the frequency response curve - yeah it's down at 50 but stays fairly flat to 40. Speaking as a DJ, current festival style EDM (Hardwell, Tiesto, Avicii, Diplo, Guetta, etc.) all pretty much stays out of the sub-40 range. It's other genres that are pushing the boundaries.

But either replacing them or doubling them up will be a better option than trying to split sub duties with another type of sub.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 01:07:09 PM »

Since anything you pair with the Turbosounds will easily handle the upper bass too, you might as well just replace the Turbosounds.

Adding a second pair is also an option if you want to stick with them. Looking at the frequency response curve - yeah it's down at 50 but stays fairly flat to 40. Speaking as a DJ, current festival style EDM (Hardwell, Tiesto, Avicii, Diplo, Guetta, etc.) all pretty much stays out of the sub-40 range. It's other genres that are pushing the boundaries.

But either replacing them or doubling them up will be a better option than trying to split sub duties with another type of sub.

The problem with replacing them with a different style sub altogether is that the Floodlights are -3 at something like 180hz, so you kind of need a mid-bass cabinet to pair with them.  I personally don't like to cross my subs higher than about 90-95 acoustically, which sometimes means an electrical crossover around 70-75.  I just don't like the sound of most subs in the 100+ range, and I especially don't like to hear vocals coming out of the subs.  That being said, you may do well to run the 718's from about 70-150 and run something else from 30-60 IF you can get them aligned. 

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 01:22:04 PM »

^ Good points I didn't realize that about the rest of his system.

chuck clark

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 07:10:35 AM »

I hear all the time about how adding multiple horn subs together extends the low freq response.

What I would like to see is 1-2 and 4 subs measured using the same drive voltage with maybe 2-3Hz resolution.

There's no question that multiple source arrays do not change the frequency responces of the individual boxes. However, acoustic coupleing can be a powerful tool. It's simple physics really. A source that is double the height and width will tend to have superior efficiency/control to a frequency of double the wavelength. That its better, there is no question. How MUCH better depends of course on a surprising amount of variables.  I've had it make such a significant audible difference so many times I'm just frankly surprised to hear you say you havent been able to measure. ??  Hey, I can eq out a bit above 80 hz if i have too much. That's a cheap easy problem to fix.  Conversely, having sufficient energy at 40 to 70 hz to work with is critical. Have a great day!
Chuck

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 07:10:35 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.