ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo Mic Cable  (Read 4002 times)

Alan Fagan

Stereo Mic Cable
« on: February 28, 2015, 04:21:23 PM »

Any thoughts on using this MINK-4 cable as a balanced stereo mic cable by spitting out the ends?
http://www.clarkwire.com/catMicrophoneCable.htm

I already made a 100' stereo XLR cable from it years ago and used it for live shows. It was very handy for sending a L/R house mix from my board to a house PA when traveling. I've never used it for mic level signal, only line level.
I'm recording a school band competition and plan to use the cable for my main stereo pair on a high boom in front of the bands. It's more convenient and much cleaner than using two separate mic cables, but I'm concerned about cross-talk and phantom power.

Of course I plan to test it first, but would like to know if anyone has tried this.
FYI, I just split the shield and spliced it to 4 short mic cables.
Thanks

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Stereo Mic Cable
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 05:20:43 PM »

Any thoughts on using this MINK-4 cable as a balanced stereo mic cable by spitting out the ends?
http://www.clarkwire.com/catMicrophoneCable.htm

I already made a 100' stereo XLR cable from it years ago and used it for live shows. It was very handy for sending a L/R house mix from my board to a house PA when traveling. I've never used it for mic level signal, only line level.
I'm recording a school band competition and plan to use the cable for my main stereo pair on a high boom in front of the bands. It's more convenient and much cleaner than using two separate mic cables, but I'm concerned about cross-talk and phantom power.

Of course I plan to test it first, but would like to know if anyone has tried this.
FYI, I just split the shield and spliced it to 4 short mic cables.
Thanks

I would wire it as a 5 pin XLR and then wire 5pin to 3 pin Y's for each end (or to a small box with 5 pin panel mount to dual 3 pin panel mount).
As long as you use the wires in their pairs (as long as the cable is built that way (Canare L4E6S is built that way) crosstalk should not be a significant issue.

Yes, I use cables like this for stereo microphones.  Typically they are coincident capsules and only split at the mic pre end.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Alan Fagan

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »

I just tested it and it works fine. I recorded some acoustic guitar into my DAW with a pair of Rode NT5's using the Mink-4 stereo cable, paused the recording, swapped the cable out with 2 mic cables and recorded again. No detectable difference through a pair of Genelec 8040A's.
I'm still curious if there is a theoretical reason not to do it.

Alan Fagan

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 05:47:23 PM »

I would wire it as a 5 pin XLR and then wire 5pin to 3 pin Y's for each end (or to a small box with 5 pin panel mount to dual 3 pin panel mount).
As long as you use the wires in their pairs (as long as the cable is built that way (Canare L4E6S is built that way) crosstalk should not be a significant issue.

Yes, I use cables like this for stereo microphones.  Typically they are coincident capsules and only split at the mic pre end.

Lee

Thanks Lee, if/when my splices break maybe I'll try that. 

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 11:47:31 PM »

Fully-wired DMX cable works just fine, too. :-)
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 11:47:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.