ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Built my sub dollies.  (Read 19617 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Built my sub dollies.
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 02:36:33 PM »

I know how you feel - there seems to be something sacrilegious about taking mere tools to something like a speaker cab!  ???
Maybe if they just installed t-nuts on the inside of the cabs.
No, that wouldn't work - some idiot would think they were fly points and hang them over someone's head.
frank

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head Frank - or at least a big part of the nail.
So many times the reasons behind decisions that are made by companies - especially ones the size of JBL/Harman, are made with liability in mind - so much so that this is what becomes the driving force in product design over performance at a particular price point. I certainly don't blame them for this way of thinking as we live in a such a litigious society.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 03:16:48 PM »

Those plates are for 2" casters.  Reliable has ones for 3.5 and 4" casters here.
http://www.reliablehardware.com/largeremovablecasterplate.aspx

So the question is whether the casters fit in the plate tightly enough to not rattle if left on the sub.  Anybody use these?  If this lazy boy can avoid a trip to HD for some ply...  :P

Sorry, was too lazy to find a link for the right size, but you're on the trail.

Not used these for subs - they might well be subject to rattle.  But, on the other hand, I'd say you could remove 4 plates faster than you could remove a dolly.  Plus they'd store more compactly.

I'm quite happy leaving my subs on castors, mind....

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 03:27:50 PM »

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head Frank - or at least a big part of the nail.
So many times the reasons behind decisions that are made by companies - especially ones the size of JBL/Harman, are made with liability in mind - so much so that this is what becomes the driving force in product design over performance at a particular price point. I certainly don't blame them for this way of thinking as we live in a such a litigious society.

JBL settled claims against them in The Station/Great White fire for $100,000.  The reason JBL was named as a defendant?  They used "foam" in the cone suspension of their speakers, and "foam" was being cited as the reason the illegally-used pyro fire spread so quickly and killed with toxic gases.  JBL's speaker surround material contributed a infinitesimal amount of material to either the fire or toxic smoke, but because it was there....  JBL considered a $100k settlement cheaper than paying for lawyers and expert witnesses, especially when a jury might not be convinced by science.

That they would not have pre-drilled holes in speakers for anything other than engineered mounting/suspension is certainly good legal business.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 03:52:10 PM »

All the above. HD is a huge help for us old lazy guys.

I use em too so I can have pieces that are safely handled by one person in the shop.

Now I need a band saw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »

Sorry, was too lazy to find a link for the right size, but you're on the trail.

Not used these for subs - they might well be subject to rattle.  But, on the other hand, I'd say you could remove 4 plates faster than you could remove a dolly.  Plus they'd store more compactly.

I'm quite happy leaving my subs on castors, mind....

When I built the boards for my Growlers some of the casters buzzed but I solved it by wrapping a long bungy cord around the four wheels. The tension solved it for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 03:56:53 PM »

I can't (actually I can) imagine that they went after JBL for the foam in the cone suspension, as Tim pointed out.

Deb you're so right - we live in an increasingly litigious society - everyone looking for a bonanza.  With all that pressure, I am thankful that the potential legal liabilities have not led to complete paralysis in many industries, including ours.

I guess I'll have to just get over it and drill my own holes.  I can do this... 
frank

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 05:54:29 PM »

JBL settled claims against them in The Station/Great White fire for $100,000.  The reason JBL was named as a defendant?  They used "foam" in the cone suspension of their speakers, and "foam" was being cited as the reason the illegally-used pyro fire spread so quickly and killed with toxic gases.  JBL's speaker surround material contributed a infinitesimal amount of material to either the fire or toxic smoke, but because it was there....  JBL considered a $100k settlement cheaper than paying for lawyers and expert witnesses, especially when a jury might not be convinced by science.

That they would not have pre-drilled holes in speakers for anything other than engineered mounting/suspension is certainly good legal business.

Oops …and there it is.

I was reading an article the other day about civil law suits and how they are looking to change things in this country a bit ( not sure when or if it was relating to only certain states  -  could take many years if at all)
Most companies facing huge legal fees in order to defend themselves end up settling because it is simply much cheaper that way. This has no bearing necessarily on whether they have any liability whatsoever.
The article indicated that the law may be changing to place the legal fees on the losing party. The changing of the law is an attempt to reduce frivolous and unreasonable law suits.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 01:38:12 AM »

The article indicated that the law may be changing to place the legal fees on the losing party. The changing of the law is an attempt to reduce frivolous and unreasonable law suits.

That's the way it should be.  No one who is sued and acquitted should be out of pocket by any amount.

Steve.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 02:15:21 AM »

That's the way it should be.  No one who is sued and acquitted should be out of pocket by any amount.

Steve.
Acquittal is a criminal turn.  In a civil action many outcomes are possible and generally each party pays their own fees.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2015, 03:38:59 AM »

But you shouldn't have to pay anything if someone unsuccessfully sues you.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2015, 03:38:59 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.