ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Built my sub dollies.  (Read 19604 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Built my sub dollies.
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 12:26:17 AM »

Even my chop busting was lame this weekend!

HAH !!!!…. ;)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 07:24:19 AM »

there is no shame in letting them cut the wood. I own a track saw and I still have them cut it quite often. (btw, the track saw is awesome) Cut wood fits in my car without using a trailer, it's their saw dust to clean up, it's easier to carry lighter smaller pieces
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »

All the above. HD is a huge help for us old lazy guys.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 08:59:42 AM »

A fun trick I like to use instead of bolting a wheel plate is to attach velcro.  Now, if I want the wheels off, I pry them off. No big deal.  All you need is enough velcro to hold the plate on if you ever pick it up.

Surely, the *right* way to do this is to use removable caster plates?

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 10:04:59 AM »

All the above. HD is a huge help for us old lazy guys.
Can I get an Amen!
frank

frank kayser

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 10:33:35 AM »

Surely, the *right* way to do this is to use removable caster plates?
Is an interesting option I of which I was unaware.

Those plates are for 2" casters.  Reliable has ones for 3.5 and 4" casters here.
http://www.reliablehardware.com/largeremovablecasterplate.aspx

And some nice BLUE polyurethane casters (Like QSC)
http://www.reliablehardware.com/312proseriesswivelcasterspolyurethaneblue.aspx
also black orange and grey.

So the question is whether the casters fit in the plate tightly enough to not rattle if left on the sub.  Anybody use these?  If this lazy boy can avoid a trip to HD for some ply...  :P
frank

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 10:59:24 AM »

The PRX715xlf subs have such shallow rubber feet that if I used the removable wheel plate method, I would also have to attach longer feet to the cabs so that they were not sitting on the metal plates.
I don't know know why wheels or at least plates like these are not standard on ALL cabs heavier than 60-70 lbs in weight. Those QSC wheels are really nice and I wish JBL would do the same.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 12:49:48 PM »

I don't know know why wheels or at least plates like these are not standard on ALL cabs heavier than 60-70 lbs in weight. Those QSC wheels are really nice and I wish JBL would do the same.

The simple reason is cost.  Not everyone needs wheels. Eg, for permanent installs, or for shows that have dedicated road cases for speakers, wheels would be inconvenient.

If they included the casters on all cabinets, that would add to their cost. Customers that don't need casters would pay more, or JBL would profit less. Neither is a good option.  If it costs JBL $30 to install casters on the cabinets (parts, labor, larger packaging, etc) and they sell 10,000 cabinets, that's a $300,000 decision to not include the casters.

The bean counters have figured out that having the casters standard on the cabinet are not enough of a driving force in the purchase of the cabinet to make them a standard feature. JBL does sell a caster kit for $90, but you can get better for much cheaper, although I'm sure they sell plenty of them.
Brian Jojade

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 01:22:50 PM »

The simple reason is cost.  Not everyone needs wheels. Eg, for permanent installs, or for shows that have dedicated road cases for speakers, wheels would be inconvenient.

If they included the casters on all cabinets, that would add to their cost. Customers that don't need casters would pay more, or JBL would profit less. Neither is a good option.  If it costs JBL $30 to install casters on the cabinets (parts, labor, larger packaging, etc) and they sell 10,000 cabinets, that's a $300,000 decision to not include the casters.

The bean counters have figured out that having the casters standard on the cabinet are not enough of a driving force in the purchase of the cabinet to make them a standard feature. JBL does sell a caster kit for $90, but you can get better for much cheaper, although I'm sure they sell plenty of them.

I know- its always down to cost. But the PRX series is used by folks like me and weekend warriors who would really benefit from this. QSC seem to realize that. They install really nice quality wheels on the K and KW subs.
Its just such a simple fix to a problem to provide them already installed - an easy project to make the dollies I know but still….
A cheaper option for the manufacturer would be to provide the caster plates attached as mentioned before. That way, the wheels would still be an after market purchase and remain optional. I cannot bring myself to drill into the cabs myself - something stops me. That is why I used this method.

frank kayser

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 01:42:30 PM »

I know- its always down to cost. But the PRX series is used by folks like me and weekend warriors who would really benefit from this. QSC seem to realize that. They install really nice quality wheels on the K and KW subs.
Its just such a simple fix to a problem to provide them already installed - an easy project to make the dollies I know but still….
A cheaper option for the manufacturer would be to provide the caster plates attached as mentioned before. That way, the wheels would still be an after market purchase and remain optional. I cannot bring myself to drill into the cabs myself - something stops me. That is why I used this method.
I know how you feel - there seems to be something sacrilegious about taking mere tools to something like a speaker cab!  ???
Maybe if they just installed t-nuts on the inside of the cabs.
No, that wouldn't work - some idiot would think they were fly points and hang them over someone's head.
frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 01:42:30 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.