ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Built my sub dollies.  (Read 19336 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Built my sub dollies.
« on: March 01, 2015, 01:22:21 PM »

I just built wheel dollies for my subs - easiest project in the world. I realize that there are factory wheels available for my SRX718's but I would need to get new covers (wheels attach to back of box) and the ones I have come across are also quite expensive.
Anyway….I figured I'd go this route for these as I needed to build dollies for my PRX718xlf's anyway. These will be attached and remain on the bottom of the subs at all times.
I was starting to feel really bad for Chris who does most of the lifting of our equipment and neither of us are getting any younger. Most of the dollies I have seen available are totally the wrong size and/or shape AND very expensive so I got the 'ingredients' to make them myself. Nice 3" wheels - all swivel - 2 brake and 2 non-brake per dolly off ebay, bolts, spring washers, 3/4" ply -cut to size, t-nuts and paint from Home Depot and tie down straps from Amazon.
Comes out to about $37 each dolly.
I had the 2 PRX dollies sanded, painted and wheels attached by the time Chris came home from work on friday and yesterday we attached them to the cabs and tightened down the straps to the handles ready for the gig last night.
They look great and fit perfectly of course. The wheels are really nice and they 'glide' along. I always missed my K-Subs for that reason. They had the best wheels and were so easy to move around.

We realize that the dollies add a few pounds to weight but the trade-off of course is huge - wheeling them into places using the subs as dollies for extra equipment/speakers on top and being able to move them around in the van and in the garage.
I had mentioned yesterday that due to the extra weight and bulk, the downside would be having to carry them up and down stairs which we have not had to do for many years so I figured those gigs would be few and far between.
Guess what ???- first gig out the door last night and we had 2 flights of steps to negotiate AND the van was parked at the bottom of the steps so there was no need for wheels at all. Unbelievable…..anyway they turned out really nice and still came in handy. Just moving them around in the garage and van to get them positioned was a treat.
It was also nice for me to be able to position them myself without help. The wheels with brakes did there job and there was no movement whilst in use.
It didn't seem to change the sound at all - being off the floor - they sounded the same as usual. Although the overall sound was weird due to the hollow floor and the positioning of the band in the room. (not well designed)
Anyway - a very basic and inexpensive project but one that has worthwhile benefits.

I didn't take any photos but I will when I make the SRX ones.
Fun project and easy.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Built my sub dollies.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 01:41:52 PM »

Looking forward to the pics.  Please get the both of you and any household livestock into the frame.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 02:10:37 PM »

Debbie,
let me be the first to ask...
Still playing with dollies? (I'm really sorry - I couldn't help myself)
Looking forward to pics.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 02:20:36 PM »

Looking forward to the pics.  Please get the both of you and any household livestock into the frame.

Will do Dick - it will probably end up with one of the dogs in the shot anyway - one of them always manages to get into every Craigslist photo I take.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 02:26:04 PM »

Will do Dick - it will probably end up with one of the dogs in the shot anyway - one of them always manages to get into every Craigslist photo I take.

Woofers...(wag, wag).
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 03:30:52 PM »

Debbie,
let me be the first to ask...
Still playing with dollies? (I'm really sorry - I couldn't help myself)
Looking forward to pics.

You are too funny …yes, still playing with dollies  :-[

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 03:32:25 PM »

Woofers...(wag, wag).

And I'll make sure to snap one of my parakeet also….. (tweeter)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 06:22:40 PM »

Good project Debbie.

One thing I did when I built caster boards for my Growlers was to cut out much of the center to reduce the weight. Of coarse, the wheels are much of the weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 06:57:52 PM »

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 07:04:36 PM »

Good project Debbie.

One thing I did when I built caster boards for my Growlers was to cut out much of the center to reduce the weight. Of coarse, the wheels are much of the weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I did consider this myself Rob. I thought about using a 2x4" framework also.
In the end as you said, the actual plywood weighs next to nothing on its own and it would have been more work with very little gain.  The good quality wheels really do carry some weight - especially with 4 of them plus 4 x the hardware.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 07:04:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 25 queries.