ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Micing a School Musical  (Read 4391 times)

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Micing a School Musical
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 07:40:11 AM »

OK so whilst I've done sound for bands, I have now been given the job of doing sound for a version of Camp Rock and I'm a bit nervous about how to have everyone heard.

There are 14 characters who sing solo (or duets) and also chorus members.

The stage is approximately 10m (33ft) x 10m (including thrust) with a proscenium arch

I have a Mackie 3204 Mixing desk (Mackie - Onyx 32-4)

I have two JBL EVO Double 14 inch, and horn powered speaker cabinets. These cabinets have a power rating of 1,200 watts each and are flown on either side of the stage.

The hall holds about 300 people

The band (Kit, keys, guitars, bass) will be in a different room and will see the show via a video feed and will be miked and fed back to the desk

What i'm looking for is suggestions on mics...I have access to 14 head set mics which covers the soloists but what I would like advice on is how to mic the chorus. Any advice would be appreciate...including whether i should get any rack units for processing (compression, limiter, gate, EQ etc etc)

Andrew,
I will throw one other comment in here that you didn't ask about.  Quite normal around here actually :-)
The video feed, is it analogue camera to analogue monitor, no digital conversion? 
I ask because I have had no luck with using digital video feeds and live remote rooms.  There is just no way to sync the live sound and video that the remote room sees.  If you delay the audio to the video then they do both arrive together in the remote room but they are that much more delayed in getting back to the live PA.  Often times you are better off with audio only when synchronization is required.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Micing a School Musical
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 07:40:11 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.