ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How does he do it?  (Read 10009 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: How does he do it?
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 02:14:24 PM »

Hey, how about insulation colors? One of the shop mechanics who was temporarily assigned to me as an electrician wired an entire electrical control panel with green wiring. I asked him why he did that when my schematics clearly stated where the white, black and green wires were to be located. He said that green wires would carry as much current as any other color so I shouldn't worry about it.  :o

I re-wired a house flip where I found an illegal subpanel for the previous kitchen expansion/addition (had cook top and built in oven service plus some 15 amp circuits) and all the wires were RED.  It had to go.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 02:20:12 PM »

Search Magic Switchboard.  You can buy them complete or build your own.

Here is a long discussion with circuits
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/magic-the-mini-magic-switchboard-should-i-make-it-a-kit.35517/page-2

Spoiler:
Reset: all switches down, wait a few seconds will clear the sequence.
The bulbs are light from left to right until you have told the controller the sequence.
Once the sequence is learned by the controller you can turn the lights on in any sequence. To change the sequence turn all the switches off and wait.
Not to Code

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 08:54:16 AM »

Tesla Inspired...

What was that museum person trying to teach the kids.  It seems to me that they all went away with no new knowledge.  Was his  "secret" revealed at the next semester class?

-Dennis

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 09:22:12 AM »

What was that museum person trying to teach the kids.  It seems to me that they all went away with no new knowledge.  Was his  "secret" revealed at the next semester class?
-Dennis
I don't know how many of the kids went back the next semester to see how the trick was done, but for those that didn't get back, the long term take home message probably was that all the logical theory about circuits and electron paths they had learned was not true, and there is some "magical" phenomenon going on that explains the apparently illogical observations. Trickery under the guise of teaching. If we hypothesize that there is a national (and global) movement going on to discredit science in favor of technology and religion, this purposeful confusion of scientific principles would fit that hypothesis pretty well. Or it could just be unintended consequences of poor teaching strategy. Either way, this demonstration would contribute to eroding the kids' belief in science as a methodology to discover truth, if they ever had such a belief.
An alternative hypothesis that since the Pavek Museum is a museum of broadcasting the demonstration will ultimately turn out to be a demonstration of different radio frequencies being selectively transmitted and received is unlikely, because the majority of the kids don't have the electronics and physics background knowledge to think of that possibility on their own.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:52:25 AM by George Friedman-Jimenez »

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 09:48:36 AM »

I agree.  I have no problem with tricks for entertainment but in this case he tied his tricks to the museum and to Tesla and to science.  In my opinion, that was wrong.   

BTW Demonstrating a single switch, 3 way switch, and 4 way switch using open knife switches and bright colors would have entertaining and useful.
Not to Code

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 09:11:13 AM »

It is referred to as teaching from discrepant events. Whole books have been written about it in science education. I personally dislike the idea because it seems to reinforce the misconceptions more than remove them which is what is claimed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 09:15:20 AM »

It is referred to as teaching from discrepant events. Whole books have been written about it in science education. I personally dislike the idea because it seems to reinforce the misconceptions more than remove them which is what is claimed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

You mean I really can't levitate?  ;)

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 09:42:35 AM »

You mean I really can't levitate?  ;)

If you want to learn how, there is a university  (gold domes and all) about 15 miles down the road from me that will teach you how-seriously!

Whether or not you think you can, you are right.
Steve Swaffer

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 03:06:04 PM »

Deleted
My RTA is always flat.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 03:06:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.