ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How does he do it?  (Read 10020 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
How does he do it?
« on: February 28, 2015, 08:26:22 AM »

Tesla Inspired...
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: How does he do it?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 08:36:37 AM »

Tesla Inspired...

SPOILER ALERT

While "Chromatic Electricity" does sound pretty cool, I can see that he has a switch matrix on the off-camera side of the box that he's changing with his left hand to match the bulb positions. Still, a really neat parlor trick.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 08:49:09 AM »

SPOILER ALERT

While "Chromatic Electricity" does sound pretty cool, I can see that he has a switch matrix on the off-camera side of the box that he's changing with his left hand to match the bulb positions. Still, a really neat parlor trick.

At 4:35, the rig is completely disassembled and put back in a random (or at least different) order.  He doesn't ever touch the left side of the box before flipping the switches. Maybe his assistant?
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mike Sokol

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 08:58:19 AM »

At 4:35, the rig is completely disassembled and put back in a random (or at least different) order.  He doesn't ever touch the left side of the box before flipping the switches. Maybe his assistant?

Foot switch?

Rick Earl

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 09:54:49 AM »

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 11:15:31 AM »

I have seen similar setups built out of low voltage components.  In that case the LED's, switches, and battery had been carefully modified with internal parts to make them frequency dependent. https://www.youtube.com/embed/-KMLmpC7-Ls

In the case of the OP video I would suspect that the lights are modified and each switch cap has a component hidden inside that makes contact with the two exposed screws to set frequency.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 12:33:27 PM »

Since the electrical connectors are exposed when he swaps the covers it is safe to assume that they are dealing with low voltage and must contain relays.

The only time he clips the switches in the correct order is when he has all lamps in the correct position according to the switches, so the order of switching them on is probably important as he never turns them on in the same order.

The relays are probably wired in some clever matrix where some parts gets energized when 'played' correctly.

Steve Bradbury

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 12:52:11 PM »

I agree with Robert and would imagine that there is a small logic circuit inside that turns the lights on in a pre-determined sequence. The actual switches are irrelevant and any switch would just turn on the next lamp in the sequence. Note how he doesn’t let anyone else select the order the lights are turned on.

The default switch on sequence is left to right (depending on which way you look at it. Four ons and offs or some preset delay time will move on to the next sequence. It is just a matter of remembering what the sequences are and then picking the switch that matches the bulb colour in the correct order.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 12:58:27 PM »

In the 1800's there were all sorts of experiments done to find out why different materials behaved as they do. So there colour of metallic salts was in discussion. See this clip from a scientific journal in 1881.  ;D

Hey, how about insulation colors? One of the shop mechanics who was temporarily assigned to me as an electrician wired an entire electrical control panel with green wiring. I asked him why he did that when my schematics clearly stated where the white, black and green wires were to be located. He said that green wires would carry as much current as any other color so I shouldn't worry about it.  :o
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:01:53 PM by Mike Sokol »

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 02:07:49 PM »

I agree with Robert and would imagine that there is a small logic circuit inside that turns the lights on in a pre-determined sequence. The actual switches are irrelevant and any switch would just turn on the next lamp in the sequence. Note how he doesn’t let anyone else select the order the lights are turned on.

The default switch on sequence is left to right (depending on which way you look at it. Four ons and offs or some preset delay time will move on to the next sequence. It is just a matter of remembering what the sequences are and then picking the switch that matches the bulb colour in the correct order.
With that in mind I went back and watched the video again.  I now think your right, sort of.  I have to go to work so I can't explain it all but here are some hints.  Default is in order.  He always touches or wiggles the next bulb to light UNLESS it is in the right order.  When I get home I will try to post what I think the full logic is.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 02:07:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.