ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old vs New speakers  (Read 3279 times)

John Mitchell

Old vs New speakers
« on: February 27, 2015, 08:17:40 PM »

My fairly new (7 year old) Peavey PV115 speakers are sounding like I may have a bad compression driver. One speaker sounds very dynamic and bright while the other sounds a bit rolled-off. I can hear sound from both drivers but one is definitely lacking in highs.
I'm thinking about replacing both drivers with the Selenium D220Ti but I'm looking at $120 -150 shipped. Today I saw a mint pair of Yamaha S3115h speakers that have a very cool (to me)retro 80's look. It would probably cost less to get the Yamahas but I cannot find anything about them on the web.
Does anyone have any experience with these speakers and would you consider them an upgrade over the Peaveys?

Thanks!!!

Richard Turner

Re: Old vs New speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 12:12:46 AM »

1: pull the horn out and test with an ohm meter, if open circuit replace the OEM rx14 diaphragm is about $30 street price

2: if that is not the issue test that horn on the other box that would tell you if there is an issue in the crossover board.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

David Parker

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 08:26:34 AM »

don't know about the PV115, but the PR series have a light bulb inside that acts as a horn protector. There's a good chance all you need to do is change the bulb.

David Parker

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 08:30:18 AM »

don't know about the PV115, but the PR series have a light bulb inside that acts as a horn protector. There's a good chance all you need to do is change the bulb.

one the PR series, you take the input plate out and the crossover and light bulb are on the back side of the plate. A dome light bulb for cars fits in it's place, not sure if there's any difference in the bulb used and the dome light bulb you can get at any auto parts store.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 09:16:57 AM »

There might be an issue with the crossover.

You have 2 units-swap parts around until you find the problem.

Also it is generally NOT a good idea to just "willy nilly" swap drivers around.

The crossovers were designed for a specific driver.  Another driver "might" work-but als may be much worse.

Cheap drivers are often that way for a REASON-----------  Just sayin'
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 04:22:26 PM »

Like the others have said check the crossover first and consider putting a new diaphram in the compression driver if everything else checks out, only cost you maybe $30 to make it sound like new.

Richard Turner

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 11:06:51 PM »

-----Troubleshoot before ordering parts----

first see if you have a open circuit on HF driver itself  or in the circuit an open fuse (lightbulb) apparently there are 2 on the crossover board. I doubt you will have to go much furthur. These are low end boxed even for peavey .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti_MRuwjZ40

Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 11:06:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.