ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting Article on Meyer Sound Treatment of Acoustic Spaces  (Read 4302 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Interesting Article on Meyer Sound Treatment of Acoustic Spaces
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 07:56:57 AM »

There was a similar system installed in a hall in Toronto some years back. Can't remember the name but I think it was associated with Lexicon.
Pretty dead hall to start with so it worked fairly well.

That would be a LARES system

http://www.lares-lexicon.com/welcome.html

While the "end results" are simialr-they use different approaches.

The VRAS (Meyer system) uses lots of mics with the standard gain before feedback issue, the LARES system uses much fewer mics and shifts them around" to allow for more gain before feedback.

In either case the mics and the preamps are NOT cheap.

Something else that is often overlooked is the NC of the HVAC system.

If the HVAC system is even remotely high-then the enhancement systems will simply amplify that-making it noticeably worse.

These systems can be quite stunning when done properly.

But doing it right comes at a price.

There are also other "players" out there-but LARES and VRAS are the biggest.

The Yamaha system is "more natural" but is limited to only bringing out the reverb to twice that of the natural room-making it very limited and you can't do things like double slopes-which are not "pure" but do exist naturally in some rooms.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 12:40:49 PM »

I did a little bit of consulting (different part of the job) where they had put in the type of system that is being discussed here. This was in a house and I think the owner was a billionaire. The difference it made was interesting; the speakers were plastered in behind the walls. I don’t even want to think about what would be involved if you have to get access to fix a speaker assembly. When it was demonstrated to me the thing that I thought was the lowest setting wasn’t low enough and the highest setting was too high. But when you have more money then you know what to do with why not. Acoustically the place was surprisingly dead and the system was intended for things like when they had a party and they wanted the string quartet that was playing on the stairs landing to sound more alive they would turn it on. I was mostly surprised at how dead this area sounded with just room design and hidden treatment. It didn’t look like it was treated in any way what so ever.

I hope I am not talking about anything proprietary that I shouldn’t be. And yes I am leaving things out.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 12:40:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.