ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting Article on Meyer Sound Treatment of Acoustic Spaces  (Read 4303 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Interesting Article on Meyer Sound Treatment of Acoustic Spaces
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:42:20 PM »

Thanks for the heads up about the article. I've been trying to get my people on board here with a push to a Constellation system.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 06:49:38 PM »

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/23/wizards-sound?nl=cooking&em_pos=large&emc=edit_ck_20150227
I have been "on board" with acoustic enhancement systems since the early 2000s when the "now current Meyer" LCS was getting started.

We built the only portable VRAS system for us to demo the concept.

We still have the units-just sitting around.

I feel that in the future there will be a lot more systems like this-there are several ones out there now.

The possibilities are very useful for some spaces.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 07:07:20 AM »

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/23/wizards-sound?nl=cooking&em_pos=large&emc=edit_ck_20150227
I wish more restaurant owners would consider the acoustics of their dining areas.
They don't need to necessarily go to this kind of solution but PLEASE, make the space reasonable for conversation with some sound absorption!
I have not returned to some dinig establishments due to the agrivating sonic signature of the room.
You want my money? Make me comfortable.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 09:26:58 AM »

Just to clear up some confusion that people have about these types of systems.

They CANNOT take away reverb-only add it.

So the room has to be close to "dead" to begin with, THEN you can add reverb as needed.

I have installed several of my "redneck versions" we used to call "Beaverbs"

One that worked out very well was to "copy" the acoustics of a large room to a small room.

There was a 2500 seat Church that had a replica of the choir loft in the choir room.  But since there was no "rest of the room", when the choir practiced-it was quite different than when they sang in the Sanctuary.

So I took a lot of acoustical measurements (using TEF polar ETC) to find out where the reflections were--the level of them-the response etc, then  put speakers in the right places in the choir room and added the reverb and reflections in the right places.

While not perfect-it was scary close-and MUCH less expensive than the real system.

As I used to say-I am not trying to fool European acousticians-just some Southern Baptisits---------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Chiara

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 10:18:16 AM »

I wish more restaurant owners would consider the acoustics of their dining areas.
They don't need to necessarily go to this kind of solution but PLEASE, make the space reasonable for conversation with some sound absorption!
I have not returned to some dinig establishments due to the agrivating sonic signature of the room.
You want my money? Make me comfortable.

The national Toby Keith chain was a perfect example...like a bunch of gymnasiums stuck together..,nothing like a high SPL 'murmur' from 300 diners!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 11:07:37 AM »

The national Toby Keith chain was a perfect example...like a bunch of gymnasiums stuck together..,nothing like a high SPL 'murmur' from 300 diners!
We have 5 guys burger joints down here-and the "acoustic treatment" is hard white tile. and metal chair legs scraping on hard floors.

I like the food-but don't like eating there-but the noise in the place is REALLY annoying.

And of course everybody starts to talk louder to "overcome" the noise-making it all worse

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 03:56:52 PM »

Just to clear up some confusion that people have about these types of systems.

They CANNOT take away reverb-only add it.

So the room has to be close to "dead" to begin with, THEN you can add reverb as needed.

Meyer has a component of the system called Libra. Libra is a line of custom built absorption panels with custom photography printed on the panels to make them look like art or architectural enhancements.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 04:48:28 PM »

Meyer has a component of the system called Libra. Libra is a line of custom built absorption panels with custom photography printed on the panels to make them look like art or architectural enhancements.
But those are no different than normal absorption.  It is NOT an electronic attempt to remove reverb.  Simply a passive absorber.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 07:10:54 AM »

There was a similar system installed in a hall in Toronto some years back. Can't remember the name but I think it was associated with Lexicon.
Pretty dead hall to start with so it worked fairly well.
As for the restaurants, I get it that it's a money thing when it comes to acoustics, sound and BG music but it does have an impact on the bottom line.
There is a guy in England who has made a job out of going to retail locations and analyzing the sound environment and suggests improvements.
Yes, there is a bit of hype and touchy feely stuff bit his take on sound in retail is...well...sound. :)
http://www.juliantreasure.com/shop/sound-business/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:37:09 AM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 07:10:54 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.