ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Small High Quality Passive Main  (Read 18831 times)

kendallhadden

• Kindred Spirit Ministry
Re: Small High Quality Passive Main
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 01:13:11 PM »

Thanks for the input everyone.  I still haven't totally made up my mind yet. 

hiep nguyen

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 02:41:28 PM »

Thanks for the input everyone.  I still haven't totally made up my mind yet.
kendallhadden,
Have you consider the EV QRx112 as it's light and can be served as main or monitor. I have not use it so don't know what is sound  8). Good luck! Hiệp

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 03:28:30 PM »

kendallhadden,
I have not use it so don't know what is sound  8). Good luck! Hiệp

… with all due respect, if you've not used (or even heard) a speaker, how can you recommend it? The OP is looking for recommendations on high quality passive mains, and a lack of experience with a particular speaker will make it hard (read:impossible) for you to attest to its quality.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 03:56:18 PM »

OK this is kind of out of the box thinking, but it's something I've been tinkering with lately. Since you are an SM80 fan I thought I'd mention it. I took a couple of  B&C 12CXN76 co-axials (which I believe are the drivers in an SM80) and plopped them in prefab 14" cubes that I picked up on Amazon for $38 apiece. Total cost for the entire project is around $500 per cab including drivers. I assembled them both in just one afternoon.

B&C's recommended crossover for this co-axial is 1200hz @12dB so so I threw a couple of them together and plopped them in there too. But I'll probably end up bi-amping when it's all said and done. Taking a hint from Danley I kept the cabs sealed, but that may change too. Since they will always be used with subs exact tuning is not critical, but it would be nice.

So far I've only used them for a couple of karaoke shows. Preliminary results are encouraging, but I need to do some fine tuning via DSP. I have big plans for these this summer when I'm on the move a lot. They weigh less than 30 pounds each. They are ridiculously small and get quite loud.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 12:25:45 AM »

OK this is kind of out of the box thinking, but it's something I've been tinkering with lately. Since you are an SM80 fan I thought I'd mention it. I took a couple of  B&C 12CXN76 co-axials (which I believe are the drivers in an SM80) and plopped them in prefab 14" cubes that I picked up on Amazon for $38 apiece. Total cost for the entire project is around $500 per cab including drivers. I assembled them both in just one afternoon.

B&C's recommended crossover for this co-axial is 1200hz @12dB so so I threw a couple of them together and plopped them in there too. But I'll probably end up bi-amping when it's all said and done. Taking a hint from Danley I kept the cabs sealed, but that may change too. Since they will always be used with subs exact tuning is not critical, but it would be nice.

So far I've only used them for a couple of karaoke shows. Preliminary results are encouraging, but I need to do some fine tuning via DSP. I have big plans for these this summer when I'm on the move a lot. They weigh less than 30 pounds each. They are ridiculously small and get quite loud.

The B&C's are nice speakers.  I am testing them in some wedges for monitor use right now.  Have you swept them yet?  In that small cube and sealed they have to be quite inefficient and drop off quickly at the low end.

The Danley's are horns not front loaded so it's kind of a an odd comparison.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 12:58:31 AM »

The B&C's are nice speakers.  I am testing them in some wedges for monitor use right now.  Have you swept them yet?  In that small cube and sealed they have to be quite inefficient and drop off quickly at the low end.

That they do, but I was planning on crossing them over fairly high anyway. Initially I was thinking 125 but have moved it down to 110 with good results.

The Danley's are horns not front loaded so it's kind of a an odd comparison.
I hope I didn't come across as trying to compare. I thought it was a cool idea to keep them sealed to cut down on IM distortion, since the cone also doubles as a horn for the compression driver. As Ivan said in a thread describing the SM80 "You don't want that cone flapping around too much" or something like that (paraphrasing) ;)

That was the only thing I was trying to pick up from Danley's approach to this driver. I'm under no delusion that this is some kind of poor man's SM80. My application is different - something small, highly positionable, and rather inconspicuous for smallish difficult rooms that still sounds good.

I did this real quick just for fun to see what these co-axial drivers are all about - without any thoughts as to whether these cabs would be their permanent destination. But they just might be. I'll know more when I get into this further.

I don't want to derail the thread with this other than to offer it as a possibility to Kendall, since we are both tackling the same problem - and desiring to stay passive while doing so. I may start a separate thread after things progress if there's any interest. In the meantime please feel free to share your thoughts and results Scott :)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:57:04 AM by Bill Hornibrook »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 02:58:05 AM »

Good stuff sounds like you have a handle on the important stuff.  Keep up your status updates it's very interesting.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 07:43:29 AM »

Danley has a monitor version on their website. SM100M but it doesn't appear to have a pole mount. Wonder if they can customize it?
I just checked.  Yes the Sm100M does come with a pole cup.  It has been with it for awhile.

The drawing/photos on the website are old.

We will get them updated.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Sorry for the confusion.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 07:47:55 AM »

I hope I didn't come across as trying to compare. I thought it was a cool idea to keep them sealed to cut down on IM distortion, since the cone also doubles as a horn for the compression driver. As Ivan said in a thread describing the SM80 "You don't want that cone flapping around too much" or something like that (paraphrasing) ;)

That was the only thing I was trying to pick up from Danley's approach to this driver. I'm under no delusion that this is some kind of poor man's SM80. My application is different - something small, highly positionable, and rather inconspicuous for smallish difficult rooms that still sounds good.

The "overall product" is not just the driver-but how it is used.

That B&C is a good driver and could be used like you are with good results.

The big thing (literally) about the SM80 is the use of the horn in front of the driver.  It provides gain as well as extending the pattern control down lower.  Not everybody needs this-but others do.  It just depends on the job at hand.

Of course at the price of a larger and more expensive cabinet.

But everything is a tradeoff.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

kendallhadden

• Kindred Spirit Ministry
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 09:36:56 AM »

Those look nice.  Thanks for sharing.
kwh

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 09:36:56 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.