ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Inverter Generator Question  (Read 11819 times)

Noah D Mitchell

Re: Inverter Generator Question
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »

How are you going to prevent the noise from exhausting with the exhaust?

I won't - but the exhaust is to the back side of the trailer - it's a closed 53' trailer whose front opens into a large stage, so the noise will be behind the stage walls.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 09:55:12 PM »

2) Would something like the generac quiet source linked here be a viable option? We're going to be installing this in a 53' semi trailer permanently, and wiring to a breaker box/outlets (licensed electrician). The cost of one of these is roughly equivalent to getting two of the Honda EU7000.

FWIW, this Generator is designed for home/light commercial standby use, not for primary power.  If you read the warranty, you will not have any warranty for the use you propose.  It is simply not apples to apples for the Honda units.

How well will it function and how long will it last?  There is only one way to find out, but it might be expensive.

I asked another manufacturer about using a similar unit for temporary power during construction do to an unusual circumstance in getting temp power to the site.  The plan was to use it for 2-3 weeks tops for framing.  They were less than supportive of the idea.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:05:41 PM by Stephen Swaffer »
Steve Swaffer

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 11:00:04 AM »

FWIW, this Generator is designed for home/light commercial standby use, not for primary power.  If you read the warranty, you will not have any warranty for the use you propose.

Hadn't considered that part - thanks for the heads up.

I'm not concerned so much about the duty load (one or two hours per week is about our max), but about putting an 'install' generator on a moving platform.

I think I'll direct my search toward used trailer mounted units I can install in our rig.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 11:10:52 AM »

I think I'll direct my search toward used trailer mounted units I can install in our rig.

The MQs are available with or without the trailer. So, you can get a new/used DCA25SSI that is skid-mounted only, which will then mount into your trailer with absolutely no problem. You do loose the extra fuel capacity that the trailer represents, though. You get 17gal in the generator itself, and another 41gal available with the trailer. At FTB, though, you use 1.66gph, so that's still 10+ hours of full load operation available on just the internal fuel tank.

Bonus note: since it's a diesel generator not being used on the highway, you can get a refund of both state and federal fuel taxes paid.  :D

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 01:23:37 PM »

Last year I was hunting a standby unit for home (got a Generac 20kw) and searching ebay & Craig's list found lots of interesting units.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 02:34:52 PM »

Last year I was hunting a standby unit for home (got a Generac 20kw) and searching ebay & Craig's list found lots of interesting units.

I keep thinking I should get a 2kW for bad weather use and well, just because. ;)

Those thoughts sent me to fleabay and a couple other places.  Some genuine product and lots of stuff that made me arch an eyebrow.

Interesting is:  How many are "built to order" but drop-shipped from China.  Not that in today's world of JIT such things can't be done, but...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 07:37:22 PM »

I keep thinking I should get a 2kW for bad weather use and well, just because. ;)

Those thoughts sent me to fleabay and a couple other places.  Some genuine product and lots of stuff that made me arch an eyebrow.

Interesting is:  How many are "built to order" but drop-shipped from China.  Not that in today's world of JIT such things can't be done, but...

I bought my 20kw unit on eBay from a dealer in CT. He had stocked up after Sandy but a wimpy year following left him with a bunch. It cost me what most dealers were offering 17kw units for and has the aluminum housing to boot. I installed it myself (except for the gas line - I don't do that).

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 02:34:19 AM »

In the used marketplace you'll find a number of portable Onan "Homesite Power" generators. Stay away from them. Cummins paid $50 each to a Chinese manufacturer, sold them for 10x that, and lost money on the deal through warranty repairs. (I have an inside source for this information.) Cummins doesn't sell homeowner gensets anymore; this experience spanked them pretty good. Oh, sure, there are some good ones in the batch, but the lemon rate is high.

The real Onan stuff is fine.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 07:48:30 AM »

I bought my 20kw unit on eBay from a dealer in CT. He had stocked up after Sandy but a wimpy year following left him with a bunch. It cost me what most dealers were offering 17kw units for and has the aluminum housing to boot. I installed it myself (except for the gas line - I don't do that).

I've seen your system. You're spoiled.

For those who haven't seen Rob's electrical system it's quite possibly one of the best home or business systems I've ever seen. He even has some see through channel for routing cable with MOOD LIGHTING inside. He could power a small country with his electrical system. I was blown away.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 07:48:30 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.