ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just had a guy back out of an ebay sale on me.  (Read 17417 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Just had a guy back out of an ebay sale on me.
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2015, 12:41:59 PM »

I bid on a Peavey PV6 yesterday and won the auction at $61 with free shipping. Obviously the seller was not hiding anything.

... except in Debbie's case, the seller screwed up big time, and rather then own up to it, and take the loss cos of his mistake, he chose to instead cancel the same, refund Debbie's money, and therefore earn a negative feedback...
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

David Allred

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 01:13:24 PM »

... except in Debbie's case, the seller screwed up big time, and rather then own up to it, and take the loss cos of his mistake, he chose to instead cancel the same, refund Debbie's money, and therefore earn a negative feedback...

And had the seller charged $40 to ship, Debbie would only have bid $21.  He still would have backed out.  The real test here is if the buyer sees a brand new item that has a going rate of $499 offered for $49, does he force the seller to own up to the purchase price listed?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2015, 01:57:46 PM »

And had the seller charged $40 to ship, Debbie would only have bid $21.  He still would have backed out.  The real test here is if the buyer sees a brand new item that has a going rate of $499 offered for $49, does he force the seller to own up to the purchase price listed?

Well, there's a difference between a Fixed Price Listing with an obvious error (like that) and an Auction with a low starting price and no reserve, which is what Debbie encountered. Let's not lose sight of the fact that this wasn't a case of an obviously mistaken price, but a case where she bid on the auction in good faith, and under the Terms of the Sale that the Buyer chose when listing the product, it was an auction with no reserve and free shipping. He then reneged on those terms when she paid for her item. That's whats sketchy about that guy.
Kelcema Audio

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2015, 02:31:19 PM »

Let's not lose sight of the fact that $61 and free shipping is a very reasonable price for this item. This is why it makes no sense to me for this guy to have risked negative feedback when even if he re-lists, he probably won't get anymore than I bid. Check out the sold items on ebay and you'll see that they have been selling for around that price anyway.
Ray is right - this is NOT a case of mistakingly listing for an amount way less than intended. This is a case where the guy had hoped for more than $61 but risked not entering a reserve and after the sale he was disappointed with the result and then violated ebay rules by canceling the sale AFTER I already paid. Which ever way you look at it - what he did was wrong and stupid.
Case in point -  yesterday I took delivery of a PV6 USB that I bid on after my disappointment. I paid $68 plus $10 shipping but it is the USB version (the other one was not) which retails new at $30 more than the standard one. Also, this one is new in original packaging.
So for $17 more, I got a higher value item in probably better condition. Again this is the price that the USB version goes for in this type of condition.
The standard PV6 sells for $100 new and the PV6 USB sells for $130 new.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

David Allred

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2015, 02:51:37 PM »

Debbie is right, though maybe the guy (?) didn't understand about reserve price, or forgot about it.   In the end, he received a fair bid and should have been happy. 

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2015, 04:33:22 PM »

And could be considered fraud!

Steve.

It's also against eBay rules.  I will not bid on any auction that marks up shipping more than 20%.  If it is a large item simply state the handling fee in the auction.

I am not supporting eBay fee structure, I am supporting honesty and integrity.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2015, 07:22:27 PM »

I did not understand that eBay had changed the final value fee structure.  I always assumed high shipping was to circumvent FVF.  My opinion was dated.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Allred

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2015, 07:40:51 PM »

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2015, 08:06:51 PM »

How so?

See above post, they used to not charge FVF on shipping.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2015, 08:39:17 PM »

Yeah, no. Charging an exorbitantly high shipping charge is NOT against eBay's current policies. However, your sales may suffer because of that high charge. You are charged a Final Value Fee on both the sales price AND on the shipping charges, if any. There's no fraud involved in marking up shipping costs (since it IS clearly disclosed in the listing, however, people have a tendency to not read things.............), but it could make people think you suck.

Things on eBay have certainly changed a LOT in the 16+ years I have used it... but you know how it goes- if there's a way to skirt rules and regulations, us Americans will take advantage of it!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2015, 08:39:17 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.