ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Mixer would you buy? why?  (Read 26614 times)

George Dougherty

Re: Which Mixer would you buy? why?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2011, 10:45:21 AM »

I've priced Aphex 188's closer to $1100 per unit.  You could do a 48 channel SAC system with 32-40 channels from stage of 188 and another 8-16 for I/O back at the board of something like the Octopre Dynamic and easily be in the $10-14K range.  Then you don't have to deal with the 64 channels and repatching things from stage boxes to a new preamp channel followed by reassigning everything within SAC.  Big bonus is the remote preamps in that case.

Can you use Dante, and the new focusrite Dante preamps? Having a network I/O system would be a big advantage, and allow for putting I/O where ever you want it.

Mac
It would take a bit more configuring, but I've also looked at Aphex with Appsys ADAT multi-core extenders.  There are 64 channel versions that get you whatever you want split out of 64 channels in banks of 8 (32x32, 40x24, 48x16, etc).  It runs in two banks of 32 and you can extend either bank of 32 to an alternate location with just another CAT5+ run and a less expensive 32 channel version.  You could run 64 channels from stage to FOH, then take 32 outputs and place them next to the amp rack.

The Dante stuff would cost more and likely be much easier to manage, but then you start getting into Brad's conundrum.  Would I rather have a SAC rig than a smaller iLive setup or an SC48?  The SAC rig is more flexible for mixer configuration and internal routing, but do I really need all that?  One thing I'd definitely lose is the dual solo busses and ability to function as multiple consoles rather than a single console with auxes and matrixes tapped from it.  Remote mixing options like iPad apps can go some distance toward mitigating that though.

Loren Aguey

• New York City
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 11:26:27 AM »

Hi Randall or George,

I have a general question about SAC. With the exception of a UI that is specifically designed for live sound use, whats to stop someone from using any DAW to mix live in the box? I use Reaper which offers unlimited tracks so the only limitation would be my hardware I/O.

Is there anything else I'm missing about SAC that makes it feasible for live use over any DAW besides a dedicated UI?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:19:31 PM by Loren Aguey »

George Dougherty

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 11:57:59 PM »

Hi Randall or George,

I have a general question about SAC. With the exception of a UI that is specifically designed for live sound use, whats to stop someone from using any DAW to mix live in the box? I use Reaper which offers unlimited tracks so the only limitation would be my hardware I/O.

Is there anything else I'm missing about SAC that makes it feasible for live use over any DAW besides a dedicated UI?
Try managing even 24 channels of input across a foh and 4 independent monitor mixes in Reaper at a single 64 sample buffer of latency.  I use Reaper as well for all my DAW work.  It works well for that, it's not designed for live work.  Most DAW's aren't, though some have managed.  IIRC, SAC came about because of it's sister product SAW being used in live mode for just that purpose.
Besides the realtime engine and built-in processing that uses a tiny amount of CPU that makes it even conceivable, the big difference really is the UI.  SAC is designed so that if you can get a handle on the UI you can manage a large number of channels on FOH and multiple independent monitor mixes or split the task between two or more people if need be.  SAC is the last component I'd worry about cost wise.  The $500 license is about an 8th of the total cost I've put into the system to ensure I have a reliable rig to work with.  If you can mentally take the step of mixing in the box for a live event, I wouldn't even consider using anything else.  It's worth every penny in that case.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 11:57:59 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.