ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: x32 Mute Group/ In-Ear Question  (Read 12253 times)

chris grasso

x32 Mute Group/ In-Ear Question
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:03:07 AM »

I own a Behringer x32 rack with an s16 digital snake.  I work exclusively with a 6 piece corporate band.  All members use in-ears.  Their in-ear mixes are assigned to mix busses 1-6.  My question regards muting.  I would like to to be able to mute the band from the front of house without muting the in-ear mixes.  I can not mute the main output because I often have to run the DJ through our system.  Is there a way to mute the band from the mains without muting the in-ears?  The only solution I have found is to create a DCA for the mains and mute that DCA.  However, I do not want to give up a DCA for a glorified mute button.  Thank you for you help.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
Re: x32 Mute Group/ In-Ear Question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 03:21:59 PM »

I own a Behringer x32 rack with an s16 digital snake.  I work exclusively with a 6 piece corporate band.  All members use in-ears.  Their in-ear mixes are assigned to mix busses 1-6.  My question regards muting.  I would like to to be able to mute the band from the front of house without muting the in-ear mixes.  I can not mute the main output because I often have to run the DJ through our system.  Is there a way to mute the band from the mains without muting the in-ears?  The only solution I have found is to create a DCA for the mains and mute that DCA.  However, I do not want to give up a DCA for a glorified mute button.  Thank you for you help.
Hi Chris,

While I use an LS9, maybe my approach will work for you too. I have a saved scene where all faders for FOH except a guest mic and the two channels for stereo program are all the way down. That way, all band members can check their in-ears, but nothing is live in FOH until we recall the appropriate scene.

Best regards,
Bob

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 06:07:45 PM »

You could also just configure one of your spare busses as a subgroup and route all your band channels through there. Then, you mute the subgroup and the channels still go to ears, and the music channels still go straight to the LR

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 09:09:08 PM »

Haven't tried this lately, but if you assign a dca to those channels and put the dca in the mute group, that should do it.
I think there is a way to link the dca mute to the actual channel mute in the newest firmware, you don't want to do that, just mute the dca in the standard setting.

Jon Ross

• Virginia
    • RoTech Sound
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 12:07:08 AM »

If you're only 16 or less input channels you can use channels 1-16 for in ears and channels 17-32 for FOH. Then you get separate mute, channel eq, dynamics etc.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 01:58:12 AM »

VCA mute would mute the channels, which would mute the IEM outputs, so that would not work for this guys purposes. Routing it all through a bus and muting that is all you need to do - muting the bus puts the mute downstream of the channel sends. Easy.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »

VCA mute would mute the channels, which would mute the IEM outputs.

Samuel, on the X32, the DCA does not mute the channels output to the busses.  A buss mute will stop a channel that is assigned to the buss from feeding a DCA, but it does not work the other way around.  If it did I wouldn't be able to sound check monitors with my DCAs muted.

Bill  ;)
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »

I was not aware that the X32 VCA mutes are post-sends. Is that configurable?

However, a subgroup bus mute will certainly not stop a channel from 'feeding a VCA' because channels do not feed VCAs. VCAs do not pass audio.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 02:25:23 PM »

I was not aware that the X32 VCA mutes are post-sends. Is that configurable?

I just spent 15 minutes in X32 Edit and didn't find a pre/post "pick off point" (Yamaha's terminology) choice for the DCA.  I'll have to fire up an X32 and check.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 02:39:29 PM »

I do not remember this as well. I sort of can't believe I would have never noticed that my aux sends were not muting with my DCAs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 02:39:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.