ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Most durable earhook microphone for pastor?  (Read 12979 times)

Bob Heimbichner

Most durable earhook microphone for pastor?
« on: January 29, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »

Hi everyone, I've searched and read a few topics on the durability of headworn mikes.  Our church has used a pair of Countryman mikes with the 2mm cable and had them fail after about two years of near-daily use by several different users.  One mike's earhook broke completely from too much bending and rebending and the other has severe crackling with either of the two cables.  I'd like to find a more robust replacement, but this design seems to be inherently fragile.  Among the nearly invisible type earsets, are there any that stand out as more durable than the competition?  I'd like to get years of trouble-free use if that's a realistic possibility and don't mind paying for the peace of mind.  Or do we need to suggest a bigger, more visible mike like aerobics instructors wear?  Thanks for any direction, Bob

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Most durable earhook microphone for pastor?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 08:51:09 PM »

Hi everyone, I've searched and read a few topics on the durability of headworn mikes.  Our church has used a pair of Countryman mikes with the 2mm cable and had them fail after about two years of near-daily use by several different users.  One mike's earhook broke completely from too much bending and rebending and the other has severe crackling with either of the two cables.  I'd like to find a more robust replacement, but this design seems to be inherently fragile.  Among the nearly invisible type earsets, are there any that stand out as more durable than the competition?  I'd like to get years of trouble-free use if that's a realistic possibility and don't mind paying for the peace of mind.  Or do we need to suggest a bigger, more visible mike like aerobics instructors wear?  Thanks for any direction, Bob

If you got two years of daily use you probably got more than most folks.

Things like this are usually classified as "expendables" as far as inventory goes and are meant to be replaced at regular intervals.  Best practice is to have spares to cover yourselves. 

Otherwise, there are more and more less expensive options available all the time to help take the financial sting out of the reality that such inherently fragile low profile devices (combined with multiple-user syndrome) will need to be replaced as they wear out.

Microphone Madness is often suggested.  Lower cost, decent sound quality and fairly rugged.

Nothing lasts forever.  Good luck.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 09:23:05 PM »

I've had good luck with the DPA 4088. We have 4 at our church that have been around for years with no problems. The Sr. Pastor mic is at least 7 years old. Sound quality is very good. Cardioid pattern. Less susceptible to feed back.

As with any mini headset mic, it will only last as long as it is treated. We do take care of all our mics.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:25:31 PM by Jamin Lynch »

Bob Heimbichner

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:39:33 PM »

If you got two years of daily use you probably got more than most folks.

Things like this are usually classified as "expendables" as far as inventory goes and are meant to be replaced at regular intervals.  Best practice is to have spares to cover yourselves. 

Otherwise, there are more and more less expensive options available all the time to help take the financial sting out of the reality that such inherently fragile low profile devices (combined with multiple-user syndrome) will need to be replaced as they wear out.

Microphone Madness is often suggested.  Lower cost, decent sound quality and fairly rugged.

Nothing lasts forever.  Good luck.
Thanks, Dick.  I've heard about the MM mikes and have almost concluded that if I can't find bullet proof mikes in this category, I would order the MM mikes in bulk.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 08:47:16 AM »

Either get lots of cheap microphones like MM, or quality ones like DPA d:fine.  They both have their place. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 08:59:48 AM »

Either get lots of cheap microphones like MM, or quality ones like DPA d:fine.  They both have their place.

Caleb...

They are " less costly", not "cheap".

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 10:34:45 PM »

In our experience- cheap.   Not junk, we use them, but cheap. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Bob Heimbichner

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 11:51:29 PM »

Are you saying they're more fragile than other mikes in this category?  That's what I'm trying to avoid here.  Thanks, Bob

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 08:55:05 AM »

Define "cheap".  Is that simply pejorative?  How about facts or stats...

Bob...

I've used these in churches, schools, theater and personally.  I've also used Countryman and some other brands.  Generally speaking, structural failure occurs pretty much across the board and is primarily related to handling and usage rather than actual construction.

One advantage to the less expensive alternative (4 or 5 for the price of one) is that you can assign units to specific individuals and minimize  the debilitating effect of re-shaping the wires and booms all the time.  This in itself will make whatever you have last longer.  You'll also be able to afford spares.

If you have a "money" channel requiring especially high voice quality, go with the not-cheap mic.  Otherwise for general use the MM offerings are just fine...even if the mark-up is less when selling them to customers.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:06:50 AM by dick rees »

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 09:08:12 AM »

We use MM mics on the community theater who rents our space for their musical.   They are not especially gentle with mics, so we don't share the good stuff. That said, they are not cheap.  Their sound quality is less than a dpa or MKE 2. It's hard to describe the difference and frankly you wouldn't hear it on any MI level speakers.   They are cheap in price, to me, based on the budget I have.  They are quality construction and will last as long as you treat them well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 09:08:12 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.