ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The RF consumer mindset  (Read 4424 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
The RF consumer mindset
« on: January 29, 2015, 12:06:48 PM »

Not us as a profession, but civilians who want the ability to have full digital immersion, wirelessly, 24.7.

Now, I'm not just saying the panel was great because I was on it (though it's true that I'm awesome, obviously). No, what really made it pop was how the service providers on the panel provided a detailed financial context to their comments. Like, when Peng Ye, the VP from Alibaba, said his company's users don't care about bandwidth, and assume it's a "given," and what they care about is the quality of the products sold over that capacity, and how much they cost, I wanted to stand up and hug him.
  {emphasis added}

From here:  http://www.thenewip.net/author.asp?section_id=287&doc_id=711264

We lost the wireless spectrum war because we're essentially powerless against Desperate Housewives, Facebook and Youtube (or their equivalent in data transmission).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: The RF consumer mindset
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 12:34:42 PM »

As an example, the ARRL is a formidable force whose lobbyists are on the ball, hence secured bandwidth for HAM radio operators. Working with the FCC is a science. They listen to the masses, they listen to the lobbyists, and most of all they listen to big business. It's sad to say, but pro sound is not considered big business in the eye's of the FCC, especially considering that pro sound and wireless applications is a newcomer to the table, all things considered.  So once again the squeaky wheel get's the grease, and the first one up is the best dressed.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 01:14:34 PM »

It's sad to say, but pro sound is not considered big business in the eye's of the FCC, especially considering that pro sound and wireless applications is a newcomer to the table, all things considered.  So once again the squeaky wheel get's the grease, and the first one up is the best dressed.

Prosound may not be, but TV sure is and they use a lot more wireless than prosound. I am in Phoenix working on 2 TV broadcasts, Fehrety Live for the Golf Channel, and another late night show for NBC. We have 40 wireless mics, 24 ch of IEM, and 32 drops of 2ch RF comm. That's about 125 RF channels for an interview show with a musical guest.

I'm sure the TV industry voiced a strong opinion about the way wireless Mic/IEM/Comm users are being shortchanged in these auctions.

Mac

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:42:08 PM »

Prosound may not be, but TV sure is and they use a lot more wireless than prosound. I am in Phoenix working on 2 TV broadcasts, Fehrety Live for the Golf Channel, and another late night show for NBC. We have 40 wireless mics, 24 ch of IEM, and 32 drops of 2ch RF comm. That's about 125 RF channels for an interview show with a musical guest.

I'm sure the TV industry voiced a strong opinion about the way wireless Mic/IEM/Comm users are being shortchanged in these auctions.

Mac

+1

I was surprised, however, to read the SBE's statement when the TVBD issue was open for comments, when they basically supported opening the UHF TV band up to those devices with proposed safeguards.  Like Forrest's momma used to say, "Sometimes people do things that just don't make any sense."

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:52:14 PM »

As an example, the ARRL is a formidable force whose lobbyists are on the ball, hence secured bandwidth for HAM radio operators. Working with the FCC is a science.
It helps that amateur radio was established and protected by an act of Congress, and is protected by several international treaties. But, Hams are worried about losing spectrum also.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:56:27 PM »

Like Forrest's momma used to say, "Sometimes people do things that just don't make any sense."

FWIW, Jason is on the same shows I am in Superbowl land. Jason is the RF Samuri and I am the comms guy.

Mac

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 01:45:42 AM »

Mac

I agree Mac, and I was thinking about those types of applications when I replied. The FCC has become compartmentalized to the point where they don't recognize "TV" as much more then channel 4,5, and 7. I can picture the FCC asking themselves why TV stations need wireless mics. They need a giant slap, and I say that being a HAM who has always held the FCC in high praise. The FCC made phone companies the priority and now we have to live with a poor decision.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 09:21:54 PM »

Secondary users of spectrum don't get a huge say in things, especially when the spectrum can be replanned and licensed for billions.

Wireless mics need their own primary allocation of spectrum, and it needs to be in a safe neighbourhood (not something obviously on the chopping block next decade.)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 09:21:54 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.