ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What convection cooled amplifier do you like?  (Read 8831 times)

eytan gidron

Re: What convection cooled amplifier do you like?
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 12:35:48 AM »

I have just installed two Powersoft M series M50Q (with DSP) in a theater. They are located about 1 meter from the console operator and you can't hear them even though they have fans. I was surprised at how quiet thet are.

MikeHarris

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 04:15:05 AM »

I have just installed two Powersoft M series M50Q (with DSP) in a theater. They are located about 1 meter from the console operator and you can't hear them even though they have fans. I was surprised at how quiet thet are.

Thanks...good to know as we recently specified a theater refit using 3x M50Q with similar distance to rack.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »

With forced air cooling, most of the benefit is from swapping out hot air with cooler air. Beyond that there is only modest incremental benefit from higher pressure/volume of forced air. 

Smart fan speed control can keep it pretty quiet unless it really needs to push more air.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »

With forced air cooling, most of the benefit is from swapping out hot air with cooler air. Beyond that there is only modest incremental benefit from higher pressure/volume of forced air. 

Smart fan speed control can keep it pretty quiet unless it really needs to push more air.

JR
Yeah-even just a little bit of air movement across the right heatsink can make a lot of difference.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 12:13:04 PM »

Getting an amplifier with variable speed fans should be sufficient.  If the fans are working hard enough to be at full tilt, that generally means you are pushing enough SPL that the noise of a fan shouldn't be noticeable.

My Crown iTech HDs are nearly silent at idle. When pushed the fans kick it up a notch, but still not bad.

My QSC QLD amps, however, have much noisier fans that are ALWAYS on, even when the amp is off!  Not a huge fan of the design.
Brian Jojade

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the additional data points!

Good health,  Weogo

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.