ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker attenuation  (Read 4237 times)

Nathan Vanderslice

Speaker attenuation
« on: January 26, 2015, 02:45:06 AM »

Okay, here's the set up. I'm running  an audio feed from the sound console in the sanctuary, to the nursery. The original set up used a 70v setup coming off the amp that was installed in the church. The level was way too low. I have since left it as is, but bypassed the 70v attenuator, and was adjusting the level from the console in the sanctuary. (This from the monitor output on the board to a small 10 or 20 watt amp. My problem now is, that this group has a praise band at the beginning of the service which has a much higher dynamic level. Basically, I want to be able to put an attenuator (variable) on the speaker line so that the level can be adjusted in the room. Question: What kind of impedance do I need from the attenuator? I have an old Daven Co. attenuator that is marked as 500 ohms, 1/2 dB step up to 22.5 dB total. I'm wondering if this would work, or if there is something better to use. I don't want to get into a passive setup, or moving the amp to the nursery and running a line level rather than speaker level signal through. This of course is assuming that the attenuator is functioning. I would just go ahead and try it, but I'm concerned about putting too big  load on the output of the amp and blowing it. Thanks.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Speaker attenuation
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 06:35:52 AM »

What kind of console do you have?
You could set up a compressor for the out to the small amp and set it so the band level is controlled automatically.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Nathan Vanderslice

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:17:48 AM »

What kind of console do you have?
You could set up a compressor for the out to the small amp and set it so the band level is controlled automatically.

I could try that, however, I'd still like to see the ability for them to control the volume in the room. Also, I have not had much luck with compression. The console is a Ramsa 4416. I'm taking the signal off of  the monitor output, which feeds off the mains. There is no way to do compression through the console.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 11:05:30 AM »

The console is a Ramsa 4416. I'm taking the signal off of  the monitor output, which feeds off the mains. There is no way to do compression through the console.

By "monitor output", I assume you mean the headphone or control room output?  This wil probably also switch to a single channel if you solo or PFL anything.  The Daven attenuator is designed for line level, although 10W probably won't smoke it (but it won't really work either, since the speaker is likely 8 ohms).  If you have to attenuate the speaker line, an L-pad is the way to do it.  Count on having to replace it eventually, since they always seem to burn up sooner or later.

Do you have a spare post-fade aux bus on the console you can use for this?  Set up another mix on it with all the inputs at unity, EXCEPT the praise band.  Knock them back 10-15 dB, and see how that works out.  Failing that, used compressors are pretty cheap these days.  Set one up with a short attack, long release, and about 20 dB of gain reduction when the band is playing, and that should take care of the problem without any human intervention.

GTD
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:35:15 PM by Geoff Doane »

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 01:26:11 PM »

I could try that, however, I'd still like to see the ability for them to control the volume in the room.

I'm still unsure as to whether your running nursery system at 70V or 8 ohms.  At low wattages like that your could use a simple 70V volume control (Atlas Sound AT-10) or an impedance matching volume control (Speakercraft VSI45) depending on how your driving it, installed in the nursery.  I'm with Geoff on the feed to the amp however, put a inexpensive compressor on it and even things out to begin with.  This will also help prevent loud surprises from getting through when something unforeseen happens at the mixer from guest or new operators.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:07:01 PM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

Nathan Vanderslice

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 07:38:53 PM »

I'm still unsure as to whether your running nursery system at 70V or 8 ohms.  At low wattages like that your could use a simple 70V volume control (Atlas Sound AT-10) or an impedance matching volume control (Speakercraft VSI45) depending on how your driving it, installed in the nursery.  I'm with Geoff on the feed to the amp however, put a inexpensive compressor on it and even things out to begin with.  This will also help prevent loud surprises from getting through when something unforeseen happens at the mixer from guest or new operators.

The setup WAS 70v as the feed off the house amp was 70v. That system is no longer used as it has a bad cap somewhere and is putting out a 60 Hz hum (probably in the power supply). The other reason we don't use it is that it is an in wall install and is up on the altar/stage and not really accessible during while activities are going on.

Well anyway, The board is a Ramsa WRS 4416 board. Below is a paraphrase of the description in the manual (PDF):

Monitor output jacks
Monitor, L/R.............
These jacks provide a monitor feed of the L/R master output or PFL signals PFL has priority over the L/R master signal.
This monitor signal is also sent to the headphone output connector.

Now that I see that, I think that I will use the signal from the L master insertion jack and try the compression. This so that if PFL is used, it isn't sent to the nursery. The compressor used is a dbx 163x. We've tried using that just for the pastor's mic, but there are some weird things going on. An abrupt attack, and late. It's almost as if the whole thing is also delayed, almost like an echo where the repeat is louder than the original, if that makes sense. If I remember, I think the term is "pumping".

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 07:38:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 24 queries.