ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Luminair latency last night  (Read 16628 times)

Jerome Malsack

Re: Luminair latency last night
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 06:07:11 PM »

It could have been a building (venue) router in conflict with the show routing.   

Also remember in wireless that two systems need to be separated by roughly a wave length.  So you may want to see about placing them 20 inchs apart,  No closer than 10 inchs minimum.  The higher in the sky the better. 

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 10:30:44 PM »

I am sure this has come up before but I couldn't find a thread on the subject. I have been running Luminair with my iPad, enttec art net dongle and router very successfully till last night.
I set everything up as usual, and from FOH I did a quick run through of my programs but I noticed the latency was easily up to 6 or 7 seconds!!! It was crazy…. I have had slight latency before - easy to hide - but this was extreme.
I moved the router and walked closer and closer to it till the latency had gone.
I ended up with my iPad DIRECTLY ON TOP OF THE ROUTER - WHAT???
I simply could not get it to function unless my iPad was literally sitting on my router.
Hubby ran sound and I had to sit stage side to do lights which wasn't a problem but it is hardly the point.
I did notice a few more available networks at the venue on my iPad when I connected to my router but I can't see this making enough difference to reduce down my available distance to zero.
I keep my router and art net dongle secured in a case both powered up to a small extension cord in the case and all I have to do is open up the case, plug in the mains, connect my DMX cable and thats it. So I have a nice simple plug and play system for my lights but I don't know enough about the router, wifi side of things so I was hoping someone could help me avoid this happening again.
Because the way the program is designed, the system continues to work if the iPad is disconnected, so maybe although the lights stayed on, it was constantly disconnecting???

Since you say later on that you restarted the devices multiple times it may be safe to say that you didn't have a full buffer. 
It sounds from your description like this was interference.  This could be from other WiFi on the same channel or on an overlapping channel or from 2.4GHz mic systems or even from microwave ovens in a nearby kitchen.  Without being able to recreate it and track down a solution you may just have to wait until it happens again. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 09:33:26 AM »

Since you say later on that you restarted the devices multiple times it may be safe to say that you didn't have a full buffer. 
It sounds from your description like this was interference.  This could be from other WiFi on the same channel or on an overlapping channel or from 2.4GHz mic systems or even from microwave ovens in a nearby kitchen.  Without being able to recreate it and track down a solution you may just have to wait until it happens again. 

Lee

The kitchen was only a few feet away. I didn't realize microwaves could cause interference.
As it was the first time this had ever happened I will chalk it up to 'one of those things'. I'm definitely going to try my other router next time I get any issues and see if it helps.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »

The kitchen was only a few feet away. I didn't realize microwaves could cause interference.
As it was the first time this had ever happened I will chalk it up to 'one of those things'. I'm definitely going to try my other router next time I get any issues and see if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a53S9br5zGs
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »

Microwave ovens, when running, will definitely output interference in the 2.4GHz range.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »

Microwave ovens, when running, will definitely output interference in the 2.4GHz range.

Lee

It was a crazy busy kitchen the whole time the band was playing so I wouldn't be surprised if that was it.

I spent a couple of hours today re-patching things. I now have my DMX art net node secured to the same shelf as my dual band router in my mixer rack and connected .
Just connect the DMX cable from the lights at the gig and ready to roll.  Hopefully it will reduce the number of problems I may encounter in the future…..
Thank you everyone for your help !!

…..At least if it happens again, I have eliminated one possible cause…..

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 09:39:11 PM »

Hey Debbie, since you have a Mac (I think I remember you saying that at some point), there is also this free software call lx console. (Creative name I know). It can send art net out the Ethernet port.  It's not as powerful as luminaire, and it isn't wireless, but in a pinch it will work where wifi will not.  Just a though for a contingency. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 10:12:59 PM »

Hey Debbie, since you have a Mac (I think I remember you saying that at some point), there is also this free software call lx console. (Creative name I know). It can send art net out the Ethernet port.  It's not as powerful as luminaire, and it isn't wireless, but in a pinch it will work where wifi will not.  Just a though for a contingency. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Cailen..yes I do have a mac and thanks for the heads-up.
Actually I take a small Chauvet controller with me as back up if I ever was totally unable to use wifi. It is very basic but would do the job.
On this occasion though, the reason I stayed with the wifi was because I would have had to sit stage side anyway using the hardwired controller and the iPad did work placed directly on top of the router. My Luminair program has all my scene changes the way I want them so it was the better option on this occasion.

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 09:37:10 PM »

I am keen to know if you ever do find what the problem was/is.  That is because, like you, I have been running sound and lights wirelessly for a while now without any problems.  But I am concerned that I may be in La La Land and things have just been going well out of pure luck.

As part of my effort to streamline/minimize the overall rig I have been mixing sound and lights on a single iPad2 (ios6) using an X32 rack on V1.15 and the current version of Luminair.  All this is going through an older router (Linksys e2000) that by all accounts never was an exceptional performer.  I do run at 5gHz and often the case containing router and mixer are behind a wall and not directly visible from FOH.

Even with all these pitfalls I have not had any dropouts or latency issues with Luminair nor Xmix.  The only "delay" is after a 4-finger swipe to switch between sound and lighting apps.  On Xmix it usually takes about half a second for the screen paint to completely refresh.  Apparently both programs are able to run in the background even though I only have 16gig on the iPad2. 

But I am waiting for the other shoe to fall.  So if you do find a repeatable problem scenario - please post.

--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 09:37:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.