ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: does it matter about qualty or just money?  (Read 5670 times)

Bob Kidd

does it matter about qualty or just money?
« on: January 25, 2015, 01:14:13 AM »

I have been running house sound for a club the last 4 years. They have numerous acts come through 2 in particular have been regular due to their following. One of the bands are local and get so drunk you can barely understand what their saying and are off key. Bass players amp is so loud I take him out of mix. On top of that he is horrible! Now, for some reason they have large following, which makes bar money. I normally would not care but when have people coming up to Mr as if I am causing the horrible sound that gets to me. I take pride in what I do and 99% of time have great professional bands. Would you suck it up and run them because it's part of gig?

John L Nobile

Re: does it matter about qualty or just money?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 01:39:13 AM »

I think I used to play in that band.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 02:19:28 AM »

I used to mix that band.  Glad I don't anymore.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:05:11 AM »

Yeah I have worked with them too.  From East Cleveland right?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 06:40:14 AM »

If you can afford to, sub that gig out to another tech.
I find as I get older, I have less tollerance for getiing stuck mixing  crap bands and working with "problem" clients.
Fortunately, those situations are not very common. I like to enjoy what I do.
There is a particular awards show I did for 2 years and the producer makes it such a caustic environment to work in, I won't work it this year.
The production company completely understands why and is OK with it.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 08:58:58 AM »

I used to work with a band back in the early 80s that was great.  THey played the music WELL that most bands would not touch (Steely Dan-Little feat-Dixie Dregs etc).

But we could never get a good weekend gig.  The typical audience would buy 1 or 2 beers a night and sit there and ENJOY the music.

The bar did not make any money-but I really enjoyed working with them.

It comes down to "what is the purpose of the band in a particular show".

In a typical bar situation it is all about sell booze.  And the bands that bring the crowds that drink a lot will come back.

As bad as it is, just do what you can and be glad you are working :)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 09:22:25 AM »

I take pride in what I do and 99% of time have great professional bands. Would you suck it up and run them because it's part of gig?
Bob, my first Club gig where we had the system and work 3 to 4 nights a week we had the same thing.  Most the bands sound great and had a good following and then we had the one that had a huge following, but they sounded horrible, all I could do was keep the 'vocals' above the noise.  I sucked it up that one night a month and enjoyed the other 12 - 15 nights.  It just part of life.  Every area has at least one band that draws a following and you wonder why.

Good luck

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 10:45:49 AM »

If they have a strong following they must be doing something right.. Perhaps you can give them a few gentle nudges to make them better...

A board tape of their off-key drunken performance, might serve as corrective feedback... or not.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 11:10:41 AM »

Usually people that work with bands of this nature are reluctant to give up on a steady gig. Make a decision. You either want to be associated with the band or not, so either embrace the band and work with them, or part ways. Your choice. My choice when finding the people I'm working with aren't professionals is to part ways. I don't need the frustration.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Richard Turner

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 12:06:31 PM »

Suck it up and take the cash, In this day and age can you afford 15 more dark days on your annual schedule for the one or two that come to you to complain , tell them to come back next Thursday and listen to the mix of the awesome band,

If you let someone else into your chair at a bar on the night they are making bank and they work for $20 less than you guess who will be offered more nights. There is nothing loyal about the bar racket, Its a race to the bottom.

If you care about your craft get out now and chase theater and convention corporate work. If you like it as a good nightime second job just smile and nod and move some empty channel faders around for the complainers, it makes them feel better that their input was helpful.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 12:06:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.