ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Si Expression help  (Read 8543 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Si Expression help
« on: January 24, 2015, 10:40:35 AM »

I have read the manual and the English have not made things all that clear...imagine  ;)
RE: stereo auxs.
So I finally found out that only aux 9-14 can be stereo.
And discovered that , unlike an LS9, the stereo function does not take up 2 auxes.
The selection of "mix width" in the output menu creates a stereo aux on 1 fader.
Good so far.
Now I want to assign that stereo mix to actual output connectors.
The menu gives these choices...
output patch 1 left
output patch 1 right
output patch 2 left
output patch 2 right.

Can't find clarification in the manual as to what this means.

Please help and I will buy the next round of tea. :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Michael Grimaila

Re: Si Expression help
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 02:59:51 PM »

I have read the manual and the English have not made things all that clear...imagine  ;)
RE: stereo auxs.
So I finally found out that only aux 9-14 can be stereo.
And discovered that , unlike an LS9, the stereo function does not take up 2 auxes.
The selection of "mix width" in the output menu creates a stereo aux on 1 fader.
Good so far.
Now I want to assign that stereo mix to actual output connectors.
The menu gives these choices...
output patch 1 left
output patch 1 right
output patch 2 left
output patch 2 right.

Can't find clarification in the manual as to what this means.

Please help and I will buy the next round of tea. :)

Keith,
The output of each Mix and Matrix can be assigned to any of the unused outputs. Note that if the selected Mix has Mix Width set to "Mono", only the "Output Patch 01 Left" and "Output Patch 02 Left" will be selectable/changeable.  This allows you to send a Mix to more than one output at a time (in addition to sending it to L&R and Mono). Out of the box, Mixes 9 through 16 are set to Mix Width "Mono".  The default patching for each Mix has "Output Patch 01 Left" set to the corresponding output of the board (e.g., Mix 1 output is routed to "O/P 01", Mix 2 to "O/P 02", ...., and Mix 14 to "O/P 14").

Note that you can only patch one source to an given output.... LOL.

For example, if you have six stereo IEMs on Mixes 9-14 that you want to route to outputs 1-12, you will have to first select Mixes 1 through 14 and navigate to the "Output Patch 01 Left" and change it from the default to "Unused".  Then patch Mix 9  "Output Patch 01 Left" to "O/P 01",  "Output Patch 01 Right" to "O/P 02"; Mix 10  "Output Patch 01 Left" to "O/P 03",  "Output Patch 01 Right" to "O/P 04"; etc....  That only leaves you with 4 more outputs, unless you have a Mini Stagebox or Compact Stagebox. 

A downside to this example is that you have used up all of the stereo width mixes which you might use for stereo subgroups (While matrixes are stereo busses, they can only be used to combine Mixes and the L/R and Mono outputs... not individual channels!).  You can always use two mono mixes if needed to create a stereo submix (Dave Rat does this).

I highly recommend downloading the Offline Editor off of the Soundcraft website and playing with it when you don't have access to the board.  It allows you to quickly learn the interface and you can create / edit show files for the board.

The INPUTS, OUTPUTS, and FADER SETUP buttons will provide access to most of the needed routing for the board.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:11:58 PM by Michael Grimaila »
Behringer X32 / X32 Rack
Soundcraft Si Expression 3 / Soundcraft Mini Stage Box 32 / Soundcraft MADI USB & Dual CAT5 & Dual Optical MADI cards
6 x Sennheiser EW300 G3 / Sennheiser EW572 G3 / Sennheiser EW365 G3 / Sennheiser EW352 G3
2 x Yamaha DSR115 / 2 x QSC KW 118

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »

Thanks!
That clears things up quite a bit.
It looks like I was on the right track but when assigning a mono input to the stereo aux out, the channel pan pot didn't sem to work so I thought I had the outs patched wrong.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 04:33:03 PM »

I have downloaded the offline editor and when selecting the Si version, 1-2 and 3 all come up as 14 channel surface.
Is this correct?
I would think if I select Si Expression 2 it would be a 24 ch surface.

Michael Grimaila

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 09:14:04 PM »

I have downloaded the offline editor and when selecting the Si version, 1-2 and 3 all come up as 14 channel surface.
Is this correct?
I would think if I select Si Expression 2 it would be a 24 ch surface.

Soundcraft really did a crappy job on the user interface for the off line editor.

You have to scroll right to see the other channels.   From the help page (don't worry, it took me a couple of days before I read the help page):
All console sizes will display the same image. You can access the rest of the consoles surface by hovering over the furthest left or right fader and clicking the Left (<-) or Right (->) arrows to scroll through the surface laterally.

Navigating the Virtual console can be done by using the zoom dialogue located on the home panel or by holding the left hand CTRL key and scrolling the mouse scroll wheel.

Pan navigation around the console can be performed by holding down the left hand CTRL key whilst left-clicking, dragging the mouse to perform pan movements.

To access the touchscreen, click on the MENU icon in the home bar or click the ‘Menu’ key located on the offline console to the right of the screen.

Shows can be directly saved to and loaded from a USB key by using the show menu located on the virtual touchscreen. This operation, as well many other processes are made in the same fashion as the physical console.
Other than the poor user interface, the editor is pretty cool !  You can load show files saved from the console to the USB stick and vise versa.  To make the console behave as if there is an option card installed, press the "Modules" button on the top menu then right click on the blank area just below the "CONSOLE CARD SLOTS" and you will be able to select the type of card you have (for example, with the Mini Stagebox 32 I selected the "Add MADI I/O Card".  Now you will be able to patch in the offline editor, save the file, transfer to the USB stick, and copy it to the console.
Behringer X32 / X32 Rack
Soundcraft Si Expression 3 / Soundcraft Mini Stage Box 32 / Soundcraft MADI USB & Dual CAT5 & Dual Optical MADI cards
6 x Sennheiser EW300 G3 / Sennheiser EW572 G3 / Sennheiser EW365 G3 / Sennheiser EW352 G3

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 06:54:14 AM »

I know...RTFM! :) BTW...thanks for taking the time to help.
I think I have most of it figured out now exept for MTX sends.
select MTX screen. I see the 4 MTX master faders on the left.
select MTX 1 button and see faders but nothing works.
select MTX 1 button again and see L-R-M sends on the right.
How do you send AUX mixes to the MTX

Michael Grimaila

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 08:59:57 AM »

I know...RTFM! :) BTW...thanks for taking the time to help.
I think I have most of it figured out now exept for MTX sends.
select MTX screen. I see the 4 MTX master faders on the left.
select MTX 1 button and see faders but nothing works.
select MTX 1 button again and see L-R-M sends on the right.
How do you send AUX mixes to the MTX

OK, this one is a little weird. 

The Matrix mix occurs on layer C of the console.

Press MTX1 then press the C button in the Fader section.

The first 14 faders correspond to Mix 1 - 14 contributions. 

Press the MTX1 button AGAIN.  Now the last 3 faders on layer C correspond to the amount of L, R, and Mono added to MTX1.

Press the MTX1 button again to exit and return to normal mixing mode.

In summary, you must press the MTX button twice: The first press lets you adjust the amount of Mix 1 - 14 sent to the matrix via the first 14 faders on layer C.  The second press lets you adjust the amount of L, R, and Mono sent to the matrix via the last 3 faders on layer C.  The third press exits the matrix contributions and returns to normal mode.

Remember each mix and matrix has its own processing and EQ !
Behringer X32 / X32 Rack

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 01:15:16 PM »

OK, this one is a little weird. 

Weird is not the word! I would never have figured THAT out! And not a hint in the manual either.
Here I thought you would send to the MTX on THE FREEKIN' MTX PAGE...but noooooo..... :o
Thanks again :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 01:15:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.