ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: oops, hosed my SKM300 firmware update  (Read 13486 times)

Mark McFarlane

oops, hosed my SKM300 firmware update
« on: January 19, 2015, 08:54:01 AM »

I now have a non-functioning Sennheiser SKM300 (eW 300 g3) handheld transmitter.  Was rebuilding 'everything' in my rig over the past weekend, starting with Yosemite since Dante now supports it, updating various device firmwares, drivers, apps... and although the ew300 receiver updated OK, my handheld mic firmware update failed (like an idiot I was holding it rather than setting it on a table) and now it won't even turn on.

Sennheiser has a firmware restorer app thats Windows only, no use for me.  Also, their documentation isn't very good, e.g. to restore firmware on the received they say to hold the set button whilst powering on, but there is no set button.  Generic docs for a multitude of wireless products.

Sennheiser was closed yesterday so I haven't called yet.

Any ideas/tricks, anyone home through this process? 

It is, in my mind, unfortunate that there isn't a power-on reset firmware feature on the mic transmitters, it seems even the firmware reset has to happen over infrared..
Mark McFarlane

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: oops, hosed my SKM300 firmware update
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 08:16:52 PM »

That is a pretty goofy way of having to do an update, especially since the opportunity for failure is high.  A bricked transmitter simply because it doesn't have backup FW built in is silly. I would get a REAL computer ( just kidding, I have both PC and MAC for varying jobs ) on loan perhaps and see if the restorer will work? Sucks either way though.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:37:50 PM »

Sennheiser has a firmware restorer app thats Windows only, no use for me.

There's a choice to run "recovery" instead of "update" in the firmware updater built into the Mac version of WSM. It shows up after you've selected the update pkg in that selection window. I don't know if that applies to anything that only updates via IR, nor is it likely to work on a transmitter that won't even turn on.

Also, some experimentation running recovery on an ew 300 IEM G3 led me to discover that the 'set' button is what you are pressing when you press the control knob in. Yes, the Sennheiser manuals suck in many ways.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 10:52:05 PM »

There's a choice to run "recovery" instead of "update" in the firmware updater built into the Mac version of WSM. It shows up after you've selected the update pkg in that selection window. I don't know if that applies to anything that only updates via IR, nor is it likely to work on a transmitter that won't even turn on.

Also, some experimentation running recovery on an ew 300 IEM G3 led me to discover that the 'set' button is what you are pressing when you press the control knob in. Yes, the Sennheiser manuals suck in many ways.

Thanks Milt,  I did figure out the set button for the transmitter, but not the receiver.  Io give Sennheiser some credit, it is labelled 'set' in the documentation for the transmitter.  I tried pushing 'everything that pushes' on the receiver with no luck.

I also tried the recovery mode of WSM's firmware installer on the transmitter and receiver, 3 or 4 times, without any luck.

I've booked some time Friday to try again, and to call Sennheiser.
Mark McFarlane

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:40:10 AM »

Called Sennhesier. 15 minutes of wait, 15 minutes of excellent, pleasant hands-on help. Result, I gotta send the handheld transmitter to a service depot. There are none in my country,...  Even if I ship it to the USA they won't return it outside the USA.

Stupid that a simple firmware refresh bricked the unit, there should be a way to reset the firmware outside of a repair depot. Shure has local service, at least theoretically.
Mark McFarlane

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 02:37:29 PM »

Called Sennhesier. 15 minutes of wait, 15 minutes of excellent, pleasant hands-on help. Result, I gotta send the handheld transmitter to a service depot. There are none in my country,...  Even if I ship it to the USA they won't return it outside the USA.

Stupid that a simple firmware refresh bricked the unit, there should be a way to reset the firmware outside of a repair depot. Shure has local service, at least theoretically.

You need a local mule.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:21:36 AM »

You need a local mule.

I have friends frequently traveling Stateside, but the trips are usually 1-3 weeks.  With a quoted '~2 week turnaround', and shipping times, I'd need to coordinate two different friend's vacations, one to ship, one to receive.  I had the same problem during Christmas, 2 weeks in the USA and Apple couldn't replace my laptop motherboard in time.  I got the unfixed laptop back the morning I was flying out.

One of many inconveniences of living as an expatriate, but still the benefits outweigh the hassles.  Still, I look forward to 'moving home' in late 2016 and traveling the USA.  My wife and I have visited 40-50 countries but only a handful of the States.  Still haven't seen Zion, or the Grand Canyon, or Yosemite,...
Mark McFarlane

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 11:09:51 AM »

Mark, send it to Sennheiser USA for repair and have Senny send it to a friend here in in the States for private return to you.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 11:17:10 AM »

Mark, send it to Sennheiser USA for repair and have Senny send it to a friend here in in the States for private return to you.

And if you're like me and you don't have any friends, I'll help you out and make sure it gets back to you ok. :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 12:00:50 PM »

Thanks Tim and Ray, I'm gonna figure out something.   I have a few very old Sony wireless mics I'm gonna break out and retest tomorrow to get by for a few months.   No wireless police where I live. I vaguely remember the Sony's sounding quite good, except the grill and capsule foam has dissolved.  Worse case I'll put foam outside the grill.

Winter is my busy season. I'm booked an average of 2 gigs a week thru April, which for me is busy (basically a one man shop). A lot of planning. I got asked to bid on a rider yesterday for a US-based Hip-Hop act but the rider wasn't clear on what they are bringing and what I am providing, no mention of monitors,.... Anther upcoming gig is a week running of Hairspray which is going to consume a lot of time on design, working with the director on blocking, (not enough wireless to go around)....  Been 6 years since I did a musical. For a reason.  Lots of fun but way too many hours to do a good job. I think I spent 4 days a week for about 3 months on my last musical but this gig is a short, pure contract job.  OK, I'm obviously way off topic, it's apparently time for bed.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 12:00:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.