ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Reverb with Headroom  (Read 6795 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Reverb with Headroom
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »

Headroom means to me the available signal level between normal operating level and clipping. All of these digital devices will do 20+ dbu on input and output, there isn't substantially different headroom between any of them.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 10:38:51 AM »

PS - if you want natural, non-metallic, probably stay away from plates. Sounds like long halls, low early reflections, with low LPFs is more like what you are looking for.
If your other FX processor has available settings, take a look at some of them like reverb time and predelay to get some basic characteristics for setting parameters.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 10:08:21 PM »

The slap back springy sound you are referring to is known usually as pre delay. It could also be room size too. As you can imagine a large room would take time for the sound to bloom into full blown reverb. Try a smaller room size and see if that helps.

As for the reverb EQ you could change the EQ on the buss in which it's returning through.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 11:16:30 AM »

Here's how I usually start with a new reverb:

Decay 2 seconds.

High pass about 200.

Low pass about 4000.

PreDelay to minimum.

Early Reflections to minimum.

Diffusion to maximum.

Modulation level to minimum.

Tweak from there.  If you can't get what you like from a plate, try a hall.

John L Nobile

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 11:29:06 AM »

I find that values I use for one unit or room doesn't work for others

I used a Klark DN780 in the same room for years and used a decay from 1.8 to 2.6 sec depending on the song with a predelay of 60 ms. That seemed to keep the vocal in  front while still allowing for lots of verb

In different rooms I change things up to suit the room. Bigger rooms will have less predelay and shorter decays. But I always use predelay on vocals. I also like a little predelay on snare for ballads.

Still not sure what you mean by headroom. Only thing that I can think of is to make sure the mix is set to 100% wet if used as an aux fed input.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 05:30:19 PM »

I am pretty much the same way as Tim with my initial setup.

I set decay for 1.40-1.60 sec.

high cut to 5khz

low cut to 80hz.

pre delay to zero ( I add to it as needed )

Room size to medium

diffussion to 80%

Modulation to minimum or off

I usually start with a large hall, plate second and then whatever works if those don't.

I look for a reverb tail that is 60db below ( basically inaudible ) the average level of music within one beat of a measure. The magic zone is technically around 1.5 - 2.5 seconds. But I have found that lately modern music is using less and less of the effect. The larger the room size the shorter the time and smaller the reverb level should be. Also music seems to be speeding up. Where once 120 BPM was the standard dance beat that is shifting to more like 128-130 BPM. Rock music is also getting a little faster with an average tempo around 120 BPM. The slower contemporary music is also using more refined reverbs and depend less on the audible effect of it ( take One Direction for example ), while few others are going retro like Adele, Lorde and the late Amy Whinehouse where heavy use of reverb is part of the sound.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 05:30:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.