Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: M32  (Read 7209 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: M32
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 06:57:42 PM »

I wonder if the audible differences are ONLY in the analog section of the board.  As in, if you use AES50 in and out, then the resulting audio would be identical between the X32 and the M32.

I'd love to have a 10db lower noise floor, as there are times when I can notice the noise on my X32 systems compared to other boards I've worked with.   Now, if I could use the DL16 instead of the S16 and gain better audio via that connection, that might be worth looking into.

IIRC the voodoo is on the i/o circuit boards and not in the digital processing (makes sense, with the same firmware) so using DL 16 exclusively *should* provide the same benefit.  It would be cool if anyone can confirm/deny.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 12:13:28 AM »

I want to put together a small (and short) patch snake and am trying to decide how to make it.

For Musical Theater I will need to use all or almost all of the XLR outputs to feed Automixers, for the dialog parts only. And I will be using the AES out and the T/R/S Aux outputs to feed the DSP and other feeds that I need. I could also rewire the Automixer loom and use some of the T/R/S outputs for that and that would free up some of the XLR outputs.   

For concert work I will have the AES output again into the DSP for the main left and right speakers and will have all of the XLR outputs available to use for all other outputs.

The question is – is there enough of a sonic difference between the T/R/S outs and the XLR outs that I should really be using the XLR outputs for feeding the amps for the speakers, when I can, instead of using the T/R/S outputs?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 07:41:45 PM »

IIRC the voodoo is on the i/o circuit boards and not in the digital processing (makes sense, with the same firmware) so using DL 16 exclusively *should* provide the same benefit.  It would be cool if anyone can confirm/deny.

I can confirm the DL16 works perfectly with the X32.

Here is my two cents.  The pre's are more forgiving.  If you are a wiz at gain structure you could probably squeeze another 3db or so GBF.  On the other end of the spectrum the clip softer so they are way more tolerant of poor gain structure, so they make average engineers look better.

At only 20% more I will never buy another S16.  I should be ordering DL16 from Mike Pyle this week. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

George Dougherty

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 09:26:56 AM »

I want to put together a small (and short) patch snake and am trying to decide how to make it.

For Musical Theater I will need to use all or almost all of the XLR outputs to feed Automixers, for the dialog parts only. And I will be using the AES out and the T/R/S Aux outputs to feed the DSP and other feeds that I need. I could also rewire the Automixer loom and use some of the T/R/S outputs for that and that would free up some of the XLR outputs.   

For concert work I will have the AES output again into the DSP for the main left and right speakers and will have all of the XLR outputs available to use for all other outputs.

The question is – is there enough of a sonic difference between the T/R/S outs and the XLR outs that I should really be using the XLR outputs for feeding the amps for the speakers, when I can, instead of using the T/R/S outputs?
The only real difference is that aux out routings have no delay functionality like the main outs.
Also be aware that you could use one of the snake boxes and route the p16 signals to the XLR outputs if you're not using the p16 for monitor mixers should you need additional outputs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 09:26:56 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.