ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: ALTO Line Array ? Everybody wants a Line Array Part II  (Read 34650 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: ALTO Line Array ? Everybody wants a Line Array Part II
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2015, 07:37:17 PM »

I'd be willing to bet that for 2100 you could find some KF series eaw's, srx jbl's, EV delta stuff, or any number of other real speaker systems that will be 1000% better than what you are trying to buy.

You are not ready for a line array, nor does it sound like you can afford it.

2100 bucks *might* buy you cabling for one side of a real array. Maybe.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2015, 07:41:50 PM »

The reason I am doing a line array is because i can never achieve the proper coverage outdoors. I know very well how much in all this investment is, and for that reason I wanted to try Seismic. I'm still keeping old gear for the smaller things.

Just to put this in perspective, for the amount of money you are about to blow on cheaply made cabs inadequate in number to function as a single line array stack, you could almost buy one new Danley SM80 from a dealer with aggressive pricing.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2015, 07:49:17 PM »

The reason I am doing a line array is because i can never achieve the proper coverage outdoors.
What is the "coverage outdoors" that you are trying to "cover"?

What products have you tried and how were they setup?  Height-power etc?

It sounds like you have gotten "sucked into the hype" and may not be making "realistic" comparisons.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Hayes

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2015, 09:07:27 PM »

Wow, why skimp for the musicians then? As for your Peavey statement; Peavey was never high-end, Hartley states that he is for the "working musician" just like Uli. I would put Peavey a bit higher than Behringer but after seeing that Undercover Boss ep, I won't consider their products again (I'll have to find an alternative to their USB-p). For Alto & Seismic Audio, they're purely in the "line array" for the bandwagon hype. Unlike other manufacturers that have extensive tools to help prepare deployment of their products like calculators & prediction software, Alto & Seismic Audio have no backing on their products so you're SOL when it comes for support. Like my previous statement above, I'm guessing they got some off-brand chinese boxes from alibaba and put their branding on it.

Well it seems we agree, kind of.  I made a comment here about Peavey being low end stuff and was taken to task for it.  I was told they actually did make high end stuff in a different line ( though I am 46 and have been a musician since the age of 9 and I have personally seen no evidence of this) and that I might be offending some people here.

Several people commented on my monitor statement so I will express my thoughts on the matter.

First of all, I am a bass player with a nice rig that often gets tasked with mixing ( my system) from the stage.  I don't always need PA support for my bass rig, but often I do and when I do I usually have someone else mixing.  My point being that most of the time stage monitors are primarily used for vocals.  When I do run guitars or bass in the monitors it is usually because me and my guitarist are on opposite sides of a large stage and can't hear each other without it. I can ALWAYS hear my bass rig. ;-)

My primary focus as a performer is not to have stellar quality sound coming out of my stage monitors and to hell with the audience.  My primary focus is to sound good out front and to entertain THE AUDIENCE.  The Alto TS112s don't sound like straight up dog shit.  They do a nice job for what I use them for.  The DSR12s present the audience with an above average, professional sound experience. Coupled with some big ol' bastard, kick you in the gut HARD subs they are very tough to beat in a club atmosphere.

Would I like some $2000 top grade monitors?  Sure. If I'm dropping another 2k though most likely it would be on other more important upgrades.  Like a nice digital console.  My Mixwiz is real nice, but sooner or later all you rich dudes will battle to the death with the new digital stuff and one will come out on top ( I hope it ain't the Behringer for chrissakes) and I will pounce. Lugging around a rack full of EQs could be a thing of the past and it wouldn't bother me none.  :-)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:10:00 PM by David Hayes »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2015, 09:17:53 PM »

Would I like some $2000 top grade monitors? 
Most "top grade" monitors are going to cost you more than $2000 ea.

It just depends on what your "perspective" is.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Hayes

« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2015, 09:30:08 PM »

Most "top grade" monitors are going to cost you more than $2000 ea.

It just depends on what your "perspective" is.

I like you Ivan.  You always have great advice.  I'm just glad you aren't my accountant.  lol

Sean Stephens

« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2015, 03:44:38 AM »

I'd be willing to bet that for 2100 you could find some KF series eaw's, srx jbl's, EV delta stuff, or any number of other real speaker systems that will be 1000% better than what you are trying to buy.

You are not ready for a line array, nor does it sound like you can afford it.

2100 bucks *might* buy you cabling for one side of a real array. Maybe.

To be 100% honest I really like the quality of the EV stuff and will prob also invest in some of the ekx to etx.  I just feel that you have a lot more flexibility when it comes to arrays.  If i were to hang the EVs the coverage would be inconsistent and improperly dispersed.  I believe my experience is more then capable of handling an array as i have before, also i think i have the judgement to determine whether the rigging is safe.  I started when I was in high school and learned from professionals.  I would never create a liability, i wouldn't hang them on anything less then scaffolding capable of 2000 lbs with a chain hoist capable of 1/2 - 1 ton.  The math says I could safely hang 12 in that scenario, I imagine I wouldn't do more than 8.  As for the hardware on the boxes I'll make sure to be thorough and post some images up here before I hang.  However, you may be correct on my budget  ;D :'(
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 03:47:12 AM by Sean Stephens »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2015, 04:29:51 AM »

Never said you couldn't rig it.

I said you (as a provider) aren't ready for it.

2/side of any line array will have much worse coverage than just about any trap cab. It will also not be any louder. In fact, it will probably be worse.

Line array cabs are used improperly way more than not.

What kind of area are you trying to cover here?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2015, 07:28:31 AM »

What is this fetish all about? Two boxes per side does not make an array. Two boxes per side for cheaply made crap is a waste of money. Two boxes per side for cheaply made crap with the intent to buy "more" if they sound good is a bullshit statement attempting to justify the purchase of the cheaply made crap.

If the OP has $2100 burning a hole in his pocket then so be it. Buy the crap and live with it. You can always get less than half your money back if you sell them once you find they don't do the job, sound like shit, and nobody is impressed with a fake line array that's not properly hung, has poor coverage, and really bad sound. Why is this even a discussion, AGAIN.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2015, 08:52:41 AM »

I believe my experience is more then capable of handling an array as i have before, also i think i have the judgement to determine whether the rigging is safe.  I started when I was in high school and learned from professionals.  I would never create a liability, i wouldn't hang them on anything less then scaffolding capable of 2000 lbs with a chain hoist capable of 1/2 - 1 ton.  The math says I could safely hang 12 in that scenario, I imagine I wouldn't do more than 8.  As for the hardware on the boxes I'll make sure to be thorough and post some images up here before I hang.  However, you may be correct on my budget  ;D :'(
The question people have been asking is NOT about what you are hanging it from-but rather the boxes and the box to box rigging.

All the weight comes down on the top points on the top box.

It doesn't matter if you are hanging from a 20 ton crane with 1" chain or rope-you are only as strong as the WEAKEST point.

Do you know where THAT is?

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2015, 08:52:41 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.