ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: First gig with the DSR112s  (Read 13737 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: First gig with the DSR112s
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 10:09:31 PM »

Yes Scott I do own the SRX715s and I agree - they are the bomb. I have almost sold the SRX system a couple of times due to the types of places we play but I always take the ad back down again. The set up and tear down is messier and longer and there is the space for the extra rack but hard to overcome the fact that nothing has sounded as good to me at this level.
I run it 3 way and although many folks have said that it is risky if you don't get the processing right, we seem to have been able to do just that. The compliments fly when we use it.
So, I am looking forward to comparing the DSRs with the SRX715s. I expect to get more low end from the 715s but I'll low cut at 100hz to help with that. It is a bit of an unfair fight but I am confident that the DSRs will do quite well and get close.
I'm thinking I should use music tracks in mono and compare like I did with the PRX612s going from mixer sending one side to the DSR and the other to (in this case) the crossover, amp and speaker.
Hi Debbie,

Had any time to have a listen to those DSR's compared to the SRX tops?  There is renewed interest in this comparison now that there is going to be a powered SRX/STX in our future.  Inquiring minds want to know ;)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 10:29:43 PM »

Hi Debbie,

Had any time to have a listen to those DSR's compared to the SRX tops?  There is renewed interest in this comparison now that there is going to be a powered SRX/STX in our future.  Inquiring minds want to know ;)

Sorry Scott…Either I have been too busy or it has been too cold to set everything up in my garage. I want to compare them too but I need to choose a warmer day when I have a good few hours at my disposal….I will though - promise !!…especially now all eyes are on those new powered boxes ….
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 09:35:28 PM »

Sorry Scott…Either I have been too busy or it has been too cold to set everything up in my garage. I want to compare them too but I need to choose a warmer day when I have a good few hours at my disposal….I will though - promise !!…especially now all eyes are on those new powered boxes ….

Thanks Debbie!

I hear you on the cold thing.  We had ice this morning in Michigan.  It was a lovely drive to work ;)

David Hayes

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 08:59:25 PM »

I got a pair of DSR112s a few months ago and they are amazing.  Very little EQ necessary, clear, sweet and loud.  I use them over a center clustered pair of LS801Ps and this system is killer.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 10:08:31 PM »

I got a pair of DSR112s a few months ago and they are amazing.  Very little EQ necessary, clear, sweet and loud.  I use them over a center clustered pair of LS801Ps and this system is killer.

In a bigger room, I have guessed that the DSR112 could hang with a pair of XLF's.  Based on what my ears (and chest) say, an LS801P has the output of a pair of XLF's (although I tend to like the sound of the XLF's better).

Do the DSR112's run out of gas before the LS801P's?  You are the first person I have heard that has this combination.

David Hayes

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »

In a bigger room, I have guessed that the DSR112 could hang with a pair of XLF's.  Based on what my ears (and chest) say, an LS801P has the output of a pair of XLF's (although I tend to like the sound of the XLF's better).

Do the DSR112's run out of gas before the LS801P's?  You are the first person I have heard that has this combination.

I'm pretty sure the LS801s will outrun the Yamahas, but by the time you push them that far you are going to be entirely too loud indoors.  FWIW, I haven't been able to get the DSRs to run out of gas and my band is a hard rock band that plays pretty loud.  The DSRs sound VERY nice at high volume. I close mic a large drum kit, a 120 watt tube guitar rig and an SVT, plus 3 vocal mics.  The DSRs are damn nice, I don't know what else to say about them.

Also, the LS801Ps clean up very nicely with a little bit of EQ.  The other subs I was looking at when at bought them were the KW181s and to my ears they didn't sound good enough to justify losing all that output.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 04:35:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure the LS801s will outrun the Yamahas, but by the time you push them that far you are going to be entirely too loud indoors.  FWIW, I haven't been able to get the DSRs to run out of gas and my band is a hard rock band that plays pretty loud.  The DSRs sound VERY nice at high volume. I close mic a large drum kit, a 120 watt tube guitar rig and an SVT, plus 3 vocal mics.  The DSRs are damn nice, I don't know what else to say about them.

Also, the LS801Ps clean up very nicely with a little bit of EQ.  The other subs I was looking at when at bought them were the KW181s and to my ears they didn't sound good enough to justify losing all that output.

I would agree with that.  I did DJ a wedding last year in a very large hall (round tables for ~400).  The XLF's ran out of gas before the DSR's in that room, but as you say... It was about as loud on the dance floor as you can get and still be comfortable.

I did some pretty extensive testing of tops before I purchased mine and always thought there was quite a bit of difference between the DSR's and the PRX's, but I thought maybe it was just my ears.  As you say, I push mine in our larger venues and they just sound great .... even when you run into the limiters.  They also stay relatively cool even under abuse.  I haven't played them outside in the mid summer sun (my outside gigs always tend to be in the evening), but I am guessing they would hold up just fine.

I wish the subs in the DSR series were better.  The XLF's tap dance all over the DSR118's.

Debbie, I am still shoveling snow so I am guessing you are too ;)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 05:16:11 PM »

I would agree with that.  I did DJ a wedding last year in a very large hall (round tables for ~400).  The XLF's ran out of gas before the DSR's in that room, but as you say... It was about as loud on the dance floor as you can get and still be comfortable.

I did some pretty extensive testing of tops before I purchased mine and always thought there was quite a bit of difference between the DSR's and the PRX's, but I thought maybe it was just my ears.  As you say, I push mine in our larger venues and they just sound great .... even when you run into the limiters.  They also stay relatively cool even under abuse.  I haven't played them outside in the mid summer sun (my outside gigs always tend to be in the evening), but I am guessing they would hold up just fine.

I wish the subs in the DSR series were better.  The XLF's tap dance all over the DSR118's.

Actually Scott I must confess that today it has been 70 degrees here.... Pretty crazy for this time of year- however, we just spent yesterday and today recording inside and although it has been tons of fun, I lost my opportunity to test out the two systems!!  They are saying more cold weather on the way but I hope I can get my comparison done in the next week or two.
Just did a show last night that we have only ever used the SRX system for - slightly larger crowd and room than usual. We used the PRX718xlf's and the DSR112's. Maybe it is because the DSR's are still my new toys but Chris and I both said we thought the overall sound was as good as with the SRX..... Maybe not quite the definition in the subs but still excellent.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

David Hayes

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 05:34:25 PM »

I honestly never even considered the DSR118s.  I Wasn't impressed with them on paper so I never thought about them again. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 06:17:36 PM »

I honestly never even considered the DSR118s.  I Wasn't impressed with them on paper so I never thought about them again.

I too never heard great things about them so never considered them myself either.
I had read many times how happy folks were using the PRX718/DSR112 or KW181/DSR112 combos and as I already owned the PRX718xlf's, I was half way there.
I have never heard them either but at some point should give them a try - just for shiggles and giggles.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 06:17:36 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.