ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with EAW NTL720 cabs.  (Read 9619 times)

Robert Duerscheidt

• You can't polish a turd
    • Florida Kayak Angler Fishing Charters
Issues with EAW NTL720 cabs.
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:50:58 PM »

I have 8 ntl720 cabinets for a line array 4 per side. Since the venue has owned them they have had nothing but issues from the high speaker pack components keep blowing for no reason(speakers are fine but the amp on the highs keep blowing.

2ndly I have a firmware issue where the boxes go into a brick mode where all the lights just flash red and I have no control via box or pilot software.

These issues are reoccurring. I've installed a power meter measurement system to record power for 24hr 30 day loops and have had no serious power spikes which is what EAW keeps blaming the. Issues off.

I believe we got a bad batch of cabs and eaw refuses to admit they screwed up cause then they'd have to do a recall.

My venue owner is fed up with how EAW has treated us I don't see this pa in this venue much longer if EAW doesn't step up with real answers.
Audio engineer - House of Blues - Orlando, FL
A1 - Allied Audio - Orlando, FL

John Rutirasiri

Re: Issues with EAW NTL720 cabs.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 10:37:33 PM »

Robert, my shop has 36 NTL720 cabinets.  Can you post the date code?   I have not had the issues you described (but other issues); they have been reliable.

I think EAW blaming on power spikes is lame.  The box has universal, switching power supply.  I don't run them off AC regulators or surge protectors.  Straight off the power grid.

EAW told me to NOT process the signal -- the internal DSPs handle all the low pass and high pass.  So can't be passing full-range signal to it either.  However, I only use the AES inputs, not analog.  AES by design is transformer coupled/isolated, so technically more robust. 

The thing to check is whether the HF boost (HF air loss compensation) is engaged.  It really cranks up the gain on the high speaker pack.

Having said that, the limiters kick in easily on these boxes.  Depending on the size of your space, could a 4 hang be pushing it?  They recommended I do 6 per hang.

The two issues we have with them are:
1) The spring-loaded push buttons that release the clasps get stuck.  Just poorly designed
2) On some cabinets, I cannot get UNET to work whatsoever.  So it's a pain to configure each one via USB.

-JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Steven Midkiff

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 02:14:35 PM »

I have 8 ntl720 cabinets for a line array 4 per side. Since the venue has owned them they have had nothing but issues from the high speaker pack components keep blowing for no reason(speakers are fine but the amp on the highs keep blowing.

2ndly I have a firmware issue where the boxes go into a brick mode where all the lights just flash red and I have no control via box or pilot software.

These issues are reoccurring. I've installed a power meter measurement system to record power for 24hr 30 day loops and have had no serious power spikes which is what EAW keeps blaming the. Issues off.

I believe we got a bad batch of cabs and eaw refuses to admit they screwed up cause then they'd have to do a recall.

My venue owner is fed up with how EAW has treated us I don't see this pa in this venue much longer if EAW doesn't step up with real answers.

Holly mother of bad boxes Robert!!  OK, truth time- I've owned 16 EAW NTL720 active (there exists a passive version, mine are all active) boxes since 2008. Problems? Don't get me started. I would LOVE to have an offline discussion with you about the politics involved here. Of course, this blog is no place for politics. Would you consider contacting me directly? I promise my story is a whopper, involving many more NTL720's than mine. Me, not happy with EAW? You be the judge.

Steve- [email protected]  :'(

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 01:13:14 AM »

Holly mother of bad boxes Robert!!  OK, truth time- I've owned 16 EAW NTL720 active (there exists a passive version, mine are all active) boxes since 2008. Problems? Don't get me started. I would LOVE to have an offline discussion with you about the politics involved here. Of course, this blog is no place for politics. Would you consider contacting me directly? I promise my story is a whopper, involving many more NTL720's than mine. Me, not happy with EAW? You be the judge.

Steve- [email protected]  :'(

Steve, would love to be included in the conversation and hear about your problems. 

Thanks,
JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 01:13:14 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.