ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Down

Author Topic: My new Yamaha DSR112s.  (Read 84757 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: My new Yamaha DSR112s.
« Reply #220 on: July 06, 2015, 06:52:26 PM »

More British terms, "shuttering", if you are talking about wood placed in a footer

Yes.  Wooden formers for concrete.  Although Sterling board is often used, British builder's suppliers also sell a low grade ply wood called shuttering ply for this purpose.

Steve.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:55:40 PM by Steve M Smith »

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #221 on: July 06, 2015, 07:16:04 PM »

If I was able to find something difinitive that said they are ply, would they suddenly sound better  to me? Why would Yamaha choose to use any other material than ply - Because it works - that's why?
I believe MDF is acoustically "deader" (<--new technical term?) than ply.  Ply is certainly structurally stronger but tends to ring in comparison. 

...dave
..db

David Hayes

« Reply #222 on: July 06, 2015, 07:46:14 PM »

I'm on the other side of the world from my boxes right now (work travel) but I just remembered taking one of the screws out to check the length on the fly bolts (you need the long 35mm ones, not the same ones as a DXR) and it wasn't MDF but rather similar to the composite or pressed wood that EV used to call "road wood" or is commonly used in the US for underlayment or sheathing wood frame houses.  Bigger hunks of wood than "particle board".  EV advertised it as stronger and lighter than regular ply.  Which it is, although it's not as strong as an equivalent thickness of baltic birch with the 1.5mm plies.

I cannot be sure, but a guy on the Fractal website claims to have written Yamaha and was told "Medium Density Fibreboard" or MDF.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #224 on: July 06, 2015, 08:58:21 PM »

Just took the handle off one of mine, I'm going with MDF, definitely not OSB 

Scott Bolt

« Reply #225 on: July 06, 2015, 09:14:43 PM »

Scott, my best guess why the no side handle design was for aesthetic concerns in floor monitor deployment.

My questions/concerns/criticisms are of the MDF cabinet construction and the inclusion of the mic/line switch. Why MDF and level switch ? Transport and connectivity concerns requires extra caution. Pre/post sales criticisms that the two aforementioned issues and inherent increased risks with such would reduce and/or eliminate the boxes for cold rental duty. Handle(s), MDF, level switch, not a deal breaker for my intended use.

I have to best guess as well that Yamaha engineering and sales had envisioned the primary target use of the DR112 as floor monitors, as opposed to the use as house/audience boxes as seems to be the predominant method as evidenced within this thread.

I too am enamored with the sound, as well as the 46lb compact, state of art engineered, reliable and versatile offering
with the accompanying seven year warranty from one of the eldest and experienced M.I./ Audio companies in the biz.

With all that, I very much want to have a listen to the JBL SRX800P line. It seemingly never stops. The urge. The need,
or perceived need. GAS strikes young and old alike, in any corner of the globe, regardless of political or religious affiliations or leanings.  ;)

I think that the MDF is just fine .... albeit a bit on the heavy side.  The boxes definitely don't suffer from bad acoustics as far as my ears are hearing ;)

The input switch I agree with.  The DSR's don't strike me as having much of a market in the "bring a mic and a powered speaker" crowd.  DBR ... sure, DSR?  Certainly for my purposes it could only result in something bad happening (as you point out).

The handle was a bad call IMO.  With a little better packaging, the box would have been a perfect combination of price, weight, features and sound quality.  Having said that, I can live with the lift in order to get the sound.

The internal HPF at 125 Hz also seems like an odd number considering how well these speakers handle the LF content between 90 and 125.  I don't tend to use this feature so it hasn't been a problem.  Those who have seem to hear the same thing I do..... less warmth and punch from the mix.

Let me know if you get a chance at an A/B with the SRX8XX speakers!  I hear you on that GAS!

James Paul

« Reply #226 on: July 06, 2015, 10:09:04 PM »

Just took the handle off one of mine, I'm going with MDF, definitely not OSB

An alternate peek inside a DSR112 I happened upon at an authorized Yamaha repair service center.
IME I find that quality MDF combined with quality construction performs very well sonically as speaker boxes, though again the concern would be durability particularly in harsh and repeated portable use environs. Hence the propensity for install
or light duty portable.
I would think not many cabinets constructed of MDF or other similar variant are on tour deployment out of the Manheim, PA or Camarillo, CA warehouses.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #227 on: July 06, 2015, 10:49:04 PM »

That's more like a coarse particleboard.  MDF is almost like compressed fine sawdust.  There's no chunks of recognizable wood at all.  I've built stereo cabinets out of MDF and it has very good damping properties, which is why it's commonly used.

I've never run across an outdoor or marine rated particleboard using waterproof glue.  Unless someone from Yamaha can chime in a say there's such a thing, I'm going to have to be extra careful with mine outdoors.  I'm doing an outdoor thing at the coast next weekend and had planned to fly them.  As I mentioned, pulling the large flathead screws exposes raw wood.  I may seal this with something before putting the eyebolts in.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #228 on: July 07, 2015, 04:51:46 AM »

Flooring around here is commonly particleboard.  It sits happily in the rain on building sites without a problem.

Hanno Meingast

« Reply #229 on: July 07, 2015, 06:18:17 PM »

Flooring around here is commonly particleboard.  It sits happily in the rain on building sites without a problem.
Subfloors are typically OSB. Oriented strand board.  Klipsch used to call it roadwood. MDF will swell badly when wet,and lose all strength

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #229 on: July 07, 2015, 06:18:17 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.