ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: My new Yamaha DSR112s.  (Read 84588 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: My new Yamaha DSR112s.
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2015, 07:41:11 PM »

That is completely understandable.  I have heard different drummers strongly prefer one of those 3 mentioned microphones to the others.  Having the flexibility for them just makes good sense.  I would also have gone with the Shure over the D112.

Since the only time I actually supply equipment to other bands is for a favor a couple times a year, I no longer have my assortment of microphones (my wife is under the impression that if I don't use something in 2 years, it needs to be sold ;) ).

Ironically Chris is in a new band- first gig this weekend and the drummer prefers the Shure to the D6. It got me thinking and prompted my decision. I wish it fit in my mic box like the D6 does!!!
My mic inventory just keeps growing but I get as good prices as I can  so that my losses are minimal at my next GAS episode!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2015, 07:44:26 PM »

I hear you, but there are things that you can't eq in no matter what you try IME.

When I was searching for the best powered tops, my base assumption was that I would eq each speaker to the best sound I could get out of it.  I did this by running a mono recording into 2 channels of the mixer each one hard panned to left or right.  I would then pan full left or full right on the main output to hear each speaker. 

To use an example that most everyone here is familiar with, when I did this with the PRX612M vs the DSR112, with straight up no eq on both, the DSR112 did indeed seem to bright to my ears, but a small cut in the HF cured it.  The PRX sounded lifeless in comparison.  EQ did help, but no matter what I did, there was no way to make the PRX have the clarity the DSR had or the impact that the DSR had.  To put this entire methodology into a single sentence, the speaker with better potential will have the ability to sound better, and will be easier to get the best sound out of.

I don't think it makes much sense to gauge the quality of a speaker by the default voicing it comes with from the factory.  YMMV.

This!!!!.....Stephen, I think if it was as easy as reading the specs to make a decision on which cabs to buy, wow... things would be so easy- no demos ever necessary, none of these comparisons would be worth performing and every brick and mortar storefront would have disappeared many years ago.
I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to relay about the DSR mid frequencies or maybe I didn't explain myself well.
Since I started using the DSR's for shows, not only have I NOT had to tame the mid frequencies but I have enjoyed having the vocals 'pop', the guitar solos cut through and any other mid range frequency shine through these speakers. My EQing has been minimal.
Compared to the DXRs, which I like a lot, they are clearer and cleaner. In fact after my comparison, I spent some time EQing and playing some more and I was unable to bring out the same subtle nuances from the DXRs that were simply already there with the DSRs......
Of course like I said- this is just one ( or should I say two) opinion(s) and YMMV...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2015, 07:54:22 PM »

Attempting to hear what a speaker sounds like by looking at a frequency response plot is not the best approach.

I looked at the ETX and DSR plots, and I'm not sure I see the scooping you are describing (unless the ETX music/scooped DSP option is selected.   :-)  )
Agreed, but it's all I've got to go on.  The FR graphs and polar plots did match up with the differences I heard between the ETX and the DXR.  So I'm projecting that the DSR simply needs a small high shelf around 5k.  Which is consistent with reviews I've read.  Whereas with the ETX it had more of that pronounced JBL like 4k bump that makes it sound loud and present, but that I find fatiguing.  And as was mentioned in a Lab thread on volume complaints, the more forward or present the sound, the more likely you will be to get complaints.  In some situations that louder sounding voicing will be just what the audience wants.  In which case I can dial in the bump.

I didn't think the EVs sounded scooped.  That was Debbie's perception comparing the DXR to the DSR.  The more laid back voicing sounded scooped to her.  Which would make sense if she was used to the DSRs and JBLs with their more forward presentations.

Horses for courses as they say.  Most of the things I do have a fairly mixed audience that I don't want to blast.  A little something for everybody.  Skirting the edge of being too loud for some, and not loud enough for others.

Folks here may remember a system that I successfully designed and implemented at street festivals normally done with something like an SRX728/725 combo.  Mine had better coverage and got more compliments on sound quality from the promoters.  Application of science (I used to be an engineer at Dolby) with great advice from the veterans on this board.  I've down scaled (and lost my old username) and have been looking for something I can carry in my car that is a level up from the K10's I've been doing bar gigs with the last 5 years.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2015, 08:15:12 PM »

I didn't think the EVs sounded scooped.  That was Debbie's perception comparing the DXR to the DSR.  The more laid back voicing sounded scooped to her.  Which would make sense if she was used to the DSRs and JBLs with their more forward presentations.

Actually I am probably more used to hearing the SRX715's than the PRXs or the DSRs as I have owned them for many more years and I just did my recent comparison of them and the DSRs. In fact during that comparison,  the SRXs never sounded 'scooped' to me like the DXRs did this weekend.......and when I say 'scooped' I do not mean to a large extent it was just a term to make the distinction.
But again like I said I do like the DXR's. In fact I'll be using them for a wedding soon - a family member wants some pre-recorded played during a small wedding reception and I think they will be just the ticket to use without subs due to that nice low end they have!

Scott Bolt

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2015, 09:17:12 PM »

Actually I am probably more used to hearing the SRX715's than the PRXs or the DSRs as I have owned them for many more years and I just did my recent comparison of them and the DSRs. In fact during that comparison,  the SRXs never sounded 'scooped' to me like the DXRs did this weekend.......and when I say 'scooped' I do not mean to a large extent it was just a term to make the distinction.
But again like I said I do like the DXR's. In fact I'll be using them for a wedding soon - a family member wants some pre-recorded played during a small wedding reception and I think they will be just the ticket to use without subs due to that nice low end they have!

For a light, reasonably priced, top-only speaker system, the DXR15's are nearly impossible to beat.  When I hear guys trying to put together a PA on a budget (don't we get a thread like that about every couple of weeks?), these speakers are always one option I mention.

Sure, they are totally outclassed by your DSR112's over XLF's, but they are a fraction of the price, size and weight.  I think it is unfair to compare the two systems because of this.

After all, if size, weight and price didn't matter, we would all be using SM80's over TH118's ;)

John L Nobile

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2015, 10:02:25 PM »

After all, if size, weight and price didn't matter, we would all be using SM80's over TH118's ;)

I know SM80s aren't cheap but I don't find them heavy or large. I don't have a problem lifting them on stands by myself and I'm old and in terrible shape.  And I only need a pair to do rooms that I used to use 4 to 6 tops in.  In that respect,  they work out to be cheaper, smaller and lighter.

Back to the DSR thread. Sorry to hijack it.

Pete Bansen

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2015, 10:42:48 PM »

True that.

I'm a little price sensitive, though, so I got DSR112s (for a great price from Mike Pyle!).

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2015, 01:55:35 AM »

I think we're saying the same thing.  If you work with SRX's or older JBLs most of the time, things like the DXR will sound a little dull and lifeless to you.  Like some of the presence or impact has been scooped out.  More polite if you will.  Nice for canned music, but not very rock and roll.

I'm just coming at it from the other direction.  I want clear but inoffensive speakers.  Transparency but with the midrange molested as little as possible.  I'm encouraged by what you've written about the DSRs as it doesn't sound like there are gross eq bumps or distortion masquerading as presence or clarity.  Just a little HF tilt and good coherence through the HF drivers passband.  Your detailed reviews remind me of audiophile reviews, with which I'm very familiar having played in that arena as well.  Thanks for taking the time to give those of us who can't hear all these things something to go on.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:15:21 PM by Stephen Kirby »

Scott Bolt

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2015, 08:28:52 PM »

I know SM80s aren't cheap but I don't find them heavy or large. I don't have a problem lifting them on stands by myself and I'm old and in terrible shape.  And I only need a pair to do rooms that I used to use 4 to 6 tops in.  In that respect,  they work out to be cheaper, smaller and lighter.

Back to the DSR thread. Sorry to hijack it.

First off let me say I envy you.  Second, the SM80's are 65lbs making them much heavier than the DSR112 which weighs in at 47lbs.

I agree that coverage per weight is very good on the SM80.  This is the same story for the TH118's.  Also amplifiers must be put into the equation of weight as well.

A pair of DSR112's over XLF's can cover a pretty decent sized room.  I have played DJ music (EDM like "Fancy", "Cupid Shuffle") for a wedding room that was ~150ft wide x 250ft deep.  I wished I had another pair of XLF's with me that night, but it was impressive what they system was able to do.  While the XLF's were out of gas, the DSR's still had a bit of steam left I think.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2015, 03:18:11 PM »

I like the sound of the D6 and the feel of the B52.  On a a kick with too much sustain, the 52 (as compared to the D6) requires a top notch gate to control it without missing the light hits.

Try a Heil PR40.  It's not frequency tailored, and the proximity effect seems to be at a lower frequency.  By twiddling the little faucets on the mixer, you can get anything that a D6 or B52 will give you (or better).  (IMHO, YMMV.)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2015, 03:18:11 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.