ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Sequencers?  (Read 8099 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Power Sequencers?
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 07:19:06 PM »

I really do NOT like Furman's PS8R.  It works fine but the large orange power button powers off the whole unit WITHOUT executing the sequence, the much subtler black button is the sequence button.  Dumb. 

I have bypassed the power switch on those for that very reason.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 12:25:39 AM »

The Lyntec install units are $1000 and up, + electrician fees.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 12:33:10 PM »

I agree with Michael, I haven't ever needed to look further than Middle Atlantic Products or Furman, but I've also recently come across Snap AV and have had good luck with them.   

If all of your power is off the same circuit or just a few circuits usually use MAP's PDC915 .

If you're distributing to more areas, start with MAP USC6 and add remote relays from there. 

I really do NOT like Furman's PS8R.  It works fine but the large orange power button powers off the whole unit WITHOUT executing the sequence, the much subtler black button is the sequence button.  Dumb. 

If you want to get even fancier MAP has some IP based power sequencers that I don't have any experience with personally, but would trust based on good experiences with the  brand.  I have used some from Snap AV that I've been very happy with based on performance, product selection and price.  For instance their rack mountable UPSs seem to be the exact same as MAP's model but costs much less.  Snap AV

Hope this helps,
thomas d.
My most recent sequencer install was one of the new MAP network units. Worked as advertised, for the most part; getting the control to function properly was a bit of a PITA, though, as they chose a rather complex method of implementation, requiring logins and checksums, with no option for 'basic' control.  Were I working with a larger control system (AMX/Crestron), this probably wouldn't be an issue; but in this case, it was tied directly to a DSP (Symetrix), which made programming it a hassle. There's also no option for contact closure inputs; it's network/comm or nothing.

As far as the OP goes, between MAP and Furman, and an unlimited budget, I'd chose MAP. I think the new RackLink with Series Protection is based on SurgeX's filtering/protection, but don't quote me on that. But at $1300...well, you get what you pay for.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:35:56 PM by Jonathan Kok »

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 04:06:54 PM »

Quote from: Jonathan Kok
My most recent sequencer install was one of the new MAP network units. Worked as advertised, for the most part; getting the control to function properly was a bit of a PITA, though, as they chose a rather complex method of implementation, requiring logins and checksums, with no option for 'basic' control.  Were I working with a larger control system (AMX/Crestron), this probably wouldn't be an issue; but in this case, it was tied directly to a DSP (Symetrix), which made programming it a hassle. There's also no option for contact closure inputs; it's network/comm or nothing.

That makes sense and isn't too surprising that there are some limitations.  The install I've been running uses a FSR Flex controller to bridge all of the different network and relay devices in a pretty graceful way without needing a full AMX/Crestron system. 

thomas d.

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 11:37:42 PM »

http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

John durisko

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 04:38:07 PM »

I use Surgex for stand alone systems like the OP describes. Had a church get hit by lightening and the AV system was the only thing that survived. The lightening took out the control of the seq but that's a small price to pay for the gear it was protecting. Fyi Surgex has a 10 year warranty and took care of this right away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 11:42:23 PM »

With the  (now discontinued) Furman PS Pro II sequencer, without the front-panel key, the only way to power down will be with the sequencing button.

and now, a slight deviation from the original post, if you please...

I was looking at the PS 8 series II and the PS Pro II manuals - and they're touting non-sacrificial surge protection.  To quote from the PS Pro II manual:

n SMP+ (Series Multi-Stage Protection Plus) non-sacrificial surge suppression — the most comprehensive protection available anywhere!
n LiFT (Linear Filtering Technology) with zero ground contamination

Thank you for purchasing the PS-PRO II, and congratulations on your choice. The Series II power conditioners feature Furman’s revolutionary Series Multi-Stage Protection Plus (SMP+) circuit, as well as our exclusive Linear Filtering Technology (LiFT). Together, these technologies comprise, without question, the world's most advanced and comprehensive transient voltage surge suppressor / conditioner.

SMP+ (Series Multi-Stage Protection Plus)
Furman’s SMP+ surge suppression virtually eliminates service calls. Traditional surge suppression circuits “sacrifice” themselves when exposed to multiple transient voltage spikes, requiring the dismantling of your system and repair of your surge suppressor. With Furman’s SMP+, however, damaging transient voltages are safely absorbed, clamped, and dissipated.
Unique to Furman’s SMP+ is its unparalleled clamping voltage. While other designs offer clamping voltages that are well above 330 Vpk, SMP+ clamps at 188 Vpk, (133 VAC RMS). This unprecedented level of protection is only available with Furman’s SMP+ technology. Additionally, Furman’s trusted over-voltage circuitry protects against all too frequent accidental connections to 208 or 240 VAC, by shutting off the incoming power until the over voltage condition is corrected.
For E versions: Furman’s SMP+ clamps at 376 VpK, (266 VAC RMS.)

LIFT (linear filtering technology)
Unfortunately, traditional AC filter - conditioners have been designed for unrealistic laboratory conditions. Prior technologies, whether multiple pole filter or conventional series mode, could actually harm audio and video performance more than they help, due to the resonant peaking of their antiquated, non-linear designs. Under certain conditions, these designs can actually add more than 10 dB of noise to the incoming AC line! Worse still, lost digital data, the need to re-boot digital pre-sets, or destroyed digital converters are frequently caused by excessive voltage spikes and AC noise contaminating the equipment ground. Furman’s SMP+ with LiFT takes another approach, ensuring optimal performance through linear filtering and no leakage to ground.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds a lot like the sales blurbs from Surgex and Brick Wall.  Comments?  Experience?  And now, back to the OP...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 09:11:11 PM by frank kayser »

John Penkala

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 11:46:11 AM »

What are folks using for power sequencing? I need a device to safely power up and down a small studio setup. It would have to handle less than 120/15a in 3 stages. I know these units power up in stages. I would assume they power down in reverse order? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

JP

Thanks all. I ended up going with the Furman M-8S. It does everything that I need it to do. I was looking for 1 button solution for when my wife uses my mixing room to listen to music. It basically turns on the floor lamps, then the inputs/console and then the studio monitors.

-JP

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 11:46:11 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.