ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody else built a computer?  (Read 13765 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Anybody else built a computer?
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 11:13:10 AM »

Tommy,
Increasing the clock speed of the CPU is fairly common practice in todays world of "make-a-computer". Please keep in mind though that enhanced clock speeds mean additional heat, and heat is your worst enemy. Go slow and be careful to not enhance the speed to a point of CPU failure.

I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on it; at stock speeds it's running plenty cool so I've got some thermal headroom to play with.

If you are going to overclock make sure your memory has heat spreaders on it.

Also, the closed loop liquid cooling systems work well.

The overclocking is an interesting marketing ploy as Intel is selling the unlocked chips as "overclockable" but it still voids the warranty.

The i5 I am typing on had a mild overlock to 4Ghz.

Are you going to use this for gaming? 

The memory does have heat spreaders; I don't have a water cooling setup but I've got a pretty nice air cooler. I don't think I'll have much trouble hitting 4.5ghz if I got a decent CPU; I built the system mostly for gaming.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 12:50:25 PM »

I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on it; at stock speeds it's running plenty cool so I've got some thermal headroom to play with.

The memory does have heat spreaders; I don't have a water cooling setup but I've got a pretty nice air cooler. I don't think I'll have much trouble hitting 4.5ghz if I got a decent CPU; I built the system mostly for gaming.

Cool, have fun, let us know how the rig runs. 

The only reason I mentioned the water cooler for the CPU is they are about 20% more efficient (and I am talking about the closed loop, CPU only systems) than and air/air unit.  More important to me is they are quiet as a mouse.  You can get really close to a ambient noise level machine.

I don't game, but I do flighsim to keep my procedures up as I lost my medical recently and it may be another year before I am allowed to fly again.  Gave me an excuse to beef up a rig.  Something I haven't done in awhile.  I didn't know if you were doing video editing or what your end goal was.

My other hat is the IT business, been in it as long as I have been doing sound.  We have been under the same ownership since 1984 (I joined 10 years ago when we merged my ISP into the company).  Built many a PC over the years but we are much more a network and VoIP company that PC's these days.

The reason I mention all this is because it made computers fun again.  I couldn't work with them all day then come home and play with them!

Have fun...
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 01:31:41 PM »

I don't know what network interface that motherboard has (I didn't bother to look it up), but if it's anything other than an Intel, I would be suspicious of it. Many motherboards use Realtek NICs, and they have a history of being cheap junk.

Having had experience with lots of different network interfaces, I've found that on average Intel makes the most solid and reliable NICs -- either wired or wireless. If you don't have an Intel NIC, I'd recommend installing one.

As for wired network switches, the Netgear ProSafe or Cisco Small Business series seem to be solid performers at reasonable prices. These are the "small business" lines, and are better than the home user lines that you typically find in the big box stores.

EDIT: Just looked it up, it appears that it DOES have an Intel NIC. That's good!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 01:34:31 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 01:42:02 PM »

I don't know what network interface that motherboard has (I didn't bother to look it up), but if it's anything other than an Intel, I would be suspicious of it. Many motherboards use Realtek NICs, and they have a history of being cheap junk.

Having had experience with lots of different network interfaces, I've found that on average Intel makes the most solid and reliable NICs -- either wired or wireless. If you don't have an Intel NIC, I'd recommend installing one.

As for wired network switches, the Netgear ProSafe or Cisco Small Business series seem to be solid performers at reasonable prices. These are the "small business" lines, and are better than the home user lines that you typically find in the big box stores.

EDIT: Just looked it up, it appears that it DOES have an Intel NIC. That's good!

I was about to say it does have an Intel NIC. I'd say this Motherboard is at the low end of "good" boards. It was one of the cheapest Z97 boards that supported SLI, but it's got good networking and good internal audio. It's got it where it count's without all the extra frills. Another interesting thing it has are legacy PCI slots and internal headers for RS-232 and Parallel Printer(LPT).

Currently I've got it up to 4.5ghz with safe voltage and temps btw.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 01:44:20 PM by Tommy Peel »

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2014, 09:06:15 AM »

I work with large systems, large storage, large routers, switches, etc. all day every day, the type of hardware that takes either 2 people or a hydraulic lift to put into a rack. By the end of the day, which is usually 12 hours long I don't want to have anything to do with systems regardless of size.

Bob, I'm with you.  I worked for a small computer start up, IBM, as a Certified Custom Systems Architect for 23 years.  Every system was between 7,000 and 10,000 programs...not modules...full on programs.  When the 12 to 16 hour day was done I didn't want to look at a computer.  It's been 5 years since then and I still don't like to be on the computer that much.  I have, however, just now started putting together a computer based home studio again.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

William
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Richard Turner

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2014, 11:12:47 PM »

Built basically the same system back in Janruary on the    
Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WiFi mother board.
no optical drive, will likely never use one again

case was
http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/compact-case/elite-130.html
fits a full size power supply and will fit a full size vid card but very tight for aftermarket cpu cooler

Its a good stable machine running win 7, all drivers were easily found. I see no reason to over clock but the unlocked processor was the one on sale.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2014, 11:59:13 PM »

case was
http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/compact-case/elite-130.html
fits a full size power supply and will fit a full size vid card but very tight for aftermarket cpu cooler

Its a good stable machine running win 7, all drivers were easily found. I see no reason to over clock but the unlocked processor was the one on sale.

Nice. I managed to get the overclock to a stable and cool enough 4.6ghz; runs really good and flies. I still use an optical drive enough to justify getting one; I had to burn several CDs the other day. Also I don't have another DVD/BlueRay player in my room.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 01:17:59 AM »

Reminds me of when I built a computer in 2002 and opted to leave out the 3+1/2" floppy drive. I realized that I didn't need it and probably never would. At that time, floppies were fading fast. I never did need a 3+1/2" floppy drive on that machine.

Ironically, I had a customer that needed to get some data off of a 5+1/4" floppy (around 2007), and was willing to pay whatever it took to get that data. A coworker found a 5+1/4" in his boneyard, and by that time, the only machine I had available with a reliable floppy interface that handled 5+1/4" was that very machine. I was able to copy the data off the disk and emailed it to the customer. The customer was happy.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2014, 04:27:03 AM »

When the 12 to 16 hour day was done I didn't want to look at a computer.

Working sat in front of a computer most days (CAD design) was the reason I abandoned digital photography and went back to film.  Much more fun making an optical print than staring at a screen.

Ironically, I had a customer that needed to get some data off of a 5+1/4" floppy (around 2007), and was willing to pay whatever it took to get that data. A coworker found a 5+1/4" in his boneyard

At work I have a 25 year old Excellon CNC drill/router with twin 5.25" drives (CP/M backplane system).  It boots up on one every time it is powered up (which is why I leave it powered up as much as possible).

It was intended to run on punched paper tape but now gets its programs from a PC which is connected to emulate a punched tape reader.  We recently rebuilt this PC with a 5.25" drive so we had a means of making back up copies of the boot up operating system

Steve.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 04:33:21 AM by Steve M Smith »

Nikhil Mulay

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 04:38:09 AM »

Just bought some upgrades on the black froday weekend from newegg..

Core i7-4790K
Asus Z97-PRO motherboard
16 GB DDR3 1600 Corsair RAM

This will be an upgrade to my current system which is:

Core 2 Quad q9400(yes it's old!)
Asus P5Q Pro motherboard
8GB DDR2 1066 corsair dominanor RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 Ghz edition
256 GB Seagate 600 SSD for the OS
Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus cpu cooler
Coolermaster CM 690 cabinet
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 500 PSU

Beem using this configuration for Protools for a while now. Rock solid and  surprisingly powerful for a system this old. Looking forward to the upgrade in processing power!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 04:38:09 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.