ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small system setup  (Read 6790 times)

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
Small system setup
« on: December 20, 2014, 08:04:50 AM »

Hello all. I need some help with my Mickey Mouse little system, and was hoping to get some advice.
I have the following:

Yammy Club S115V's (2)
JBL EON 518S (1)
Yamaha C112V (1)
dBx 2231
QSC PLX1804
Soundcraft EFX8  (http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=148)

Currently, I am running one main out of the mixer into the left channel of the EQ and amp, and the right channel into the EQ then to the monitor. This gives me a way to EQ the mains and monitor. I am running the powered sub from the Aux1 output.
  I know that I should have another EQ and amp for the monitor, but finances won't allow it. My concern is that only running the mains off of the left channel, I am only getting the left stereo field through the mains. My backing tracks are stereo, and I would really like to have a stereo mix through the mains – when it's mono, a lot of panned material disappears! I realize that stereo mixes are frowned upon here, for valid reasons, but the places we work are so small that it wouldn't present problems.
  Given the limited gear I have to work with, how would you route these guys?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Bob

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
Re: Small system setup
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 09:00:38 AM »

You need one more amp channel (and another EQ channel would help).  My first thought would be to sell the C112V and apply that towards a powered monitor -- Alto SXM112a, Mackie SRM350, Eon 510, etc. that suits your ear and back.  You may be able to find one used.

This leaves your mains free to set up as stereo: mixer L/R=> EQ 1/2 => sub inputs => sub outputs => amp 1/2 =>tops.  Use the high-pass filter on the sub as your crossover.

The monitor would use mixer Aux1 Out=> (EQ if you buy one) => powered monitor input.  Set Aux1 to pre-fade.

I think this would be simpler overall and give you full stereo for the backing tracks, and likely your least cost.

Otherwise you need another amp to achieve the same configuration using the Yamaha monitor.  It would be OK to just run one side of the amp; or you could get a smaller amp and run it bridged -- but I would be surprised if the net cost would be any less.

You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

David Parker

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 09:18:35 AM »

Hello all. I need some help with my Mickey Mouse little system, and was hoping to get some advice.
I have the following:

Yammy Club S115V's (2)
JBL EON 518S (1)
Yamaha C112V (1)
dBx 2231
QSC PLX1804
Soundcraft EFX8  (http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=148)

Currently, I am running one main out of the mixer into the left channel of the EQ and amp, and the right channel into the EQ then to the monitor. This gives me a way to EQ the mains and monitor. I am running the powered sub from the Aux1 output.
  I know that I should have another EQ and amp for the monitor, but finances won't allow it. My concern is that only running the mains off of the left channel, I am only getting the left stereo field through the mains. My backing tracks are stereo, and I would really like to have a stereo mix through the mains – when it's mono, a lot of panned material disappears! I realize that stereo mixes are frowned upon here, for valid reasons, but the places we work are so small that it wouldn't present problems.
  Given the limited gear I have to work with, how would you route these guys?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Bob
run your backing tracks into two channels of your mixer and pan them both straight up. That will give you both stereo sides in a mono format

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 11:01:13 AM »

You need one more amp channel (and another EQ channel would help).  My first thought would be to sell the C112V and apply that towards a powered monitor -- Alto SXM112a, Mackie SRM350, Eon 510, etc. that suits your ear and back.  You may be able to find one used.

This leaves your mains free to set up as stereo: mixer L/R=> EQ 1/2 => sub inputs => sub outputs => amp 1/2 =>tops.  Use the high-pass filter on the sub as your crossover.

The monitor would use mixer Aux1 Out=> (EQ if you buy one) => powered monitor input.  Set Aux1 to pre-fade.

I think this would be simpler overall and give you full stereo for the backing tracks, and likely your least cost.

Otherwise you need another amp to achieve the same configuration using the Yamaha monitor.  It would be OK to just run one side of the amp; or you could get a smaller amp and run it bridged -- but I would be surprised if the net cost would be any less.

Another route would be to move the subwoofer to using the loop out on the amplifier
From QSC:
Balanced XLR inputs with parallel TRS connectors accommodate all common input connectors and support loop-through operation.

Then you can stereo LR from the mixer into the EQ, and from there to the amp. The subwoofer gets its signal from the loop out on the amp. Your monitor moves back to Aux 1. Only problem is the loss of the EQ on your monitor speaker-- which is a big concern. So either purchasing another EQ, or deciding that monitor EQ is more important then mains EQ. You can of course use a TRS insert cable to punch the EQ into one side or the other of the mains, but that gets you into specialized setup configurations, which can lead to problems when someone else "helps," you're in a rush, etc. The easier the better.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 01:06:15 PM »

Another route would be to move the subwoofer to using the loop out on the amplifier
From QSC:
Then you can stereo LR from the mixer into the EQ, and from there to the amp. The subwoofer gets its signal from the loop out on the amp. Your monitor moves back to Aux 1. Only problem is the loss of the EQ on your monitor speaker-- which is a big concern. So either purchasing another EQ, or deciding that monitor EQ is more important then mains EQ. You can of course use a TRS insert cable to punch the EQ into one side or the other of the mains, but that gets you into specialized setup configurations, which can lead to problems when someone else "helps," you're in a rush, etc. The easier the better.

-Ray

Ray -

Where s the "loop out" on the PLX 1804? All I see on the schematic are the main outs.

You'll have to excuse me - I'm a little slow on these things. ;D

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 01:11:20 PM by Bob Burke »

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 01:20:07 PM »

run your backing tracks into two channels of your mixer and pan them both straight up. That will give you both stereo sides in a mono format

^^ This (dope-slap myself for missing the obvious).  :-[

If you don't have two available mic channels, try using the Left (Mono) inputs on the two stereo inputs.  No additional gear required.
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 01:24:24 PM »

^^ This (dope-slap myself for missing the obvious).  :-[

If you don't have two available mic channels, try using the Left (Mono) inputs on the two stereo inputs.  No additional gear required.

Eccellent. Thanks guys!

David Parker

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 03:21:56 PM »

Eccellent. Thanks guys!
if you do it like that it wont be in either the mains or the monitors if you split them the way you have been.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 04:14:23 PM »

Ray -

Where s the "loop out" on the PLX 1804? All I see on the schematic are the main outs.

You'll have to excuse me - I'm a little slow on these things. ;D

The 1/4" TRS connector and the XLR are internally wired in parallel.  What you plug into one is then "available" on the other.  It is important to note if the TIP of the 1/4" is positive or negative; at one time QSC was "tip negative."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 04:29:05 PM »

Thanks, Tim. That was what I was trying to say when I quoted from QSC's website. Sorry for not being more clear.

The loop through function makes it easy when you're setting up a bunch of, say, subwoofer amps- 1/4" to XLR-M cables mean you can quickly and easily connect the whole lot together. Crown takes the fun out of it now with their XLR-output port, but hey, it is what it is. :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 04:29:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.