ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tiny Sub recommendations for Acoustic Duo  (Read 12898 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Re: Tiny Sub recommendations for Acoustic Duo
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 05:34:10 AM »

I'm looking for some recommendations on a tiny sub suitable for use with an acoustic duo.  Gigs would be happy hour type, 50 to 100 people.  Tops are QSC K10's (Maybe QSC KW122 on larger gigs).  A couple of EV ZXA1-Sub 12" look pretty ideal, but I have zero experience with them.  Thoughts anyone?

I own both the DXS12 and the ZXA1. The DXS gets much louder ( 2 EVs < 1 DXS) but is not as musical. I would go with the EV over the DXS if you want sound quality and need compact size/weight. However, price per SPL output, it's not very economical. I love having them, but would probably not buy them again now that I have a trailer to haul something bigger in.

I've DJ'd weddings of 100-150 with two of these as well as rock bands in small clubs. Of course I'm using 3 way tops with 15" in them so I'm crossing over down at 95hz.  I also question your need for subs in an acoustic duo?

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 11:48:39 AM »

Silly question, but why does an acoustic duo need a sub? If you're just doing vocals and guitars, the K10's should be more than adequate. If you wanted a little more bass, step up to the K12's. But adding a sub unless you're playing with backing tracks seems a bit much.

^^

This is what I was thinking.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »

If a sub is appropriate for your needs don’t get hung up on needing 2 of them. Many times it is better to use one sub then 2 spread out subs. Using a left and right sub will usually cause some low end hot spots in the room. Putting just one sub on one side or 2 subs together on one side will usually work better.   

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 01:09:06 PM »

We're a duo as well, but we use tracks. We just got a JBL 18" powered sub, and use it sparingly, but - Wow, does it give the bass and drums some thump! ;D

Scott Bolt

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 04:47:08 PM »

We're a duo as well, but we use tracks. We just got a JBL 18" powered sub, and use it sparingly, but - Wow, does it give the bass and drums some thump! ;D
If the OP is using tracks then a sub makes sense.  If not, I would suggest moving up to a 12" powered speaker instead.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 06:04:57 PM »

If a sub is appropriate for your needs don’t get hung up on needing 2 of them. Many times it is better to use one sub then 2 spread out subs. Using a left and right sub will usually cause some low end hot spots in the room. Putting just one sub on one side or 2 subs together on one side will usually work better.
This is a good point!
I have heard the Yorkville Paraline powered 2x12" subs and they sound quite nice.
The single is about 14" square and has a pole cup.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 12:44:18 AM »

I'm looking for some recommendations on a tiny sub suitable for use with an acoustic duo.  Gigs would be happy hour type, 50 to 100 people.  Tops are QSC K10's (Maybe QSC KW122 on larger gigs).  A couple of EV ZXA1-Sub 12" look pretty ideal, but I have zero experience with them.  Thoughts anyone?

K-Array KMT112
12" active sub • 40-150Hz +/-3db • 128db continuous • 34 lbs • 12.9"X13.19"X17.13"
Made in Italy • Distributed in USA by Sennheiser (outstanding support)
http://www.k-array.com/portable-systems/kmt12.html

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 01:56:44 PM »

K-Array KMT112
12" active sub • 40-150Hz +/-3db • 128db continuous • 34 lbs • 12.9"X13.19"X17.13"
Made in Italy • Distributed in USA by Sennheiser (outstanding support)
http://www.k-array.com/portable-systems/kmt12.html
You may also want to mention the retail price is $2600... probably not a budget match for a 2xK10 setup.

Until the OP comes back and says why he feels he needs a sub (bass & drum tracks, etc.) may be best to hold off on other sub recommendations. Usually I'm using the HPF on both acoustic and vocals to get rid of anything under 90Hz, so more information is needed.

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 10:53:29 AM »

You may also want to mention the retail price is $2600... probably not a budget match for a 2xK10 setup.

yeeeahhh... that one is beyond the budget.

Until the OP comes back and says why he feels he needs a sub (bass & drum tracks, etc.) may be best to hold off on other sub recommendations. Usually I'm using the HPF on both acoustic and vocals to get rid of anything under 90Hz, so more information is needed.

Lots of good information in this thread. Thanks all!!
As for the necessity of a sub- I plan on playing recorded music between sets.  There may be some backing tracks with bass.  I'm also thinking about incorporating a stompbox like THIS.  In all of these cases having a sub may not be necessary, but it also can't hurt.  One sub may be plenty.  I don't picture any dancing going on at these gigs.  You never know though... there's always that 'one' person. :o

Steve Garris

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 02:09:34 PM »

Rich, have you looked at the JBL PRX715xlf? I haven't seen reviews on this exact model, but the PRX line is very popular and they're known to sound pretty good.

ProSoundWeb Community

Β« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 02:09:34 PM Β»

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.