ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: kick drum speaker type  (Read 12908 times)

andy miller

kick drum speaker type
« on: December 18, 2014, 07:39:22 PM »

hi--this is my first post, so take it easy on me.
I am trying to figure out which speakers I should use for miking my kick drum.(practice and small venue)
I have 2 amp options, a crown XLI2500 and a QSC RMX1450. I just blew the woofers out of 2 peavey SP2s. they were 20 years old, and I'm sure (now anyway) that they weren't rated for kick miking.
so, now i have 2 empty shells that I can put 15" speakers in. if 15s are too big for my purposes, I also have a shell that can hold 2 12"s.
I will need new speakers, I'm sure of that, but I don't want to buy speakers that are gonna be too weak to handle my mic'd kick. I am open to any and all suggestions!
ultimately i need to find out which speakers to try out/research

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: kick drum speaker type
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 07:44:28 PM »

I am trying to figure out which speakers I should use for miking my kick drum.(practice and small venue)
I have 2 amp options, a crown XLI2500 and a QSC RMX1450. I just blew the woofers out of 2 peavey SP2s. they were 20 years old, and I'm sure (now anyway) that they weren't rated for kick miking.
so, now i have 2 empty shells that I can put 15" speakers in. if 15s are too big for my purposes, I also have a shell that can hold 2 12"s.
I will need new speakers, I'm sure of that, but I don't want to buy speakers that are gonna be too weak to handle my mic'd kick. I am open to any and all suggestions!
Until you follow the rules-nobody will respond to you.

You HAVE to use your full real name on this forum
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

andy miller

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 09:43:54 AM »

Until you follow the rules-nobody will respond to you.

You HAVE to use your full real name on this forum

sorry, I missed that requirement. it has been adjusted.
so, any advice on my initial post?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »

Are these just for your kick drum?  or is the rest of the band to go through them also?

What is your budget?

There were different Peavey drivers used in the SP2s.  The lower powered stamped frame drivers and the much better Black Widows

What type are in your cabinets?  If Black Widows you might be better off just getting replacement baskets.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

andy miller

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 10:38:55 AM »

Are these just for your kick drum?  or is the rest of the band to go through them also?

What is your budget?

There were different Peavey drivers used in the SP2s.  The lower powered stamped frame drivers and the much better Black Widows

What type are in your cabinets?  If Black Widows you might be better off just getting replacement baskets.
If I had to guess, I would say that they were the lower end. they were purchased in 1994 for just $1500 for the pair.....I am not 100% on that  though. I imagine they were the lower end because they blew so easily. unless age was a factor as well.
They will just be used for the kick drum and that's it. I may eventually try to run toms through it, but that's not my primary concern right now.
Budget wise I would like to keep the whole project under $1000, but I'm a realist and only want to do this once. If I need to save up for it, then I'll do that.-

am i wrong in thinking a 15" is the best option, or would a 12" be more appropriate? I have 2 old SG 2x12" that are rugged and may be an option if 2x12 is better that a single 15". i just want the punch and I want to know that the speaker can take the power

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 12:15:18 PM »

If I had to guess, I would say that they were the lower end. they were purchased in 1994 for just $1500 for the pair.....I am not 100% on that  though. I imagine they were the lower end because they blew so easily. unless age was a factor as well.
They will just be used for the kick drum and that's it. I may eventually try to run toms through it, but that's not my primary concern right now.
Budget wise I would like to keep the whole project under $1000, but I'm a realist and only want to do this once. If I need to save up for it, then I'll do that.-

am i wrong in thinking a 15" is the best option, or would a 12" be more appropriate? I have 2 old SG 2x12" that are rugged and may be an option if 2x12 is better that a single 15". i just want the punch and I want to know that the speaker can take the power
It is not the size of the speaker-but how it is used and there are all different kinds of particular sized speakers-for different applications.

All 12 or 15" speakers are not created equal.

Have you actually looked at the speakers in your cabinets?

Have you measured the DC resistance of the woofers?

That would be a good start.  Photos go a long way.

Does the HF in the cabinet work? 

Have you looked at the crossovers? and the wiring?

Perhaps it is something simple.  Some of those cabinets had problems with the biamp jacks not working properly when in the passive mode and stopping the signal from even getting to the woofers.

Before you go buying new woofers, MAKE SURE that they are actually bad.

You could spend a lot of money only to find out the problem is some other place.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 12:27:15 PM »

This seems abnormal.  With edrums you would typically have a drum amp.  With acoustic drums you would typically have a PA for the entire band in one of 3 configurations: small speakers on a stick carrying vocals only, large speakers on a stick in an attempt to carry all instruments including the kick drum, a large PA with either speakers on a stick over subs or speakers stacked on a sub.

Your SP2's fit into the large speakers on a stick category but you say they are only for your kick drum?  It seems that you are not giving us the whole picture.

andy miller

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 12:51:24 PM »

I guess that i just figured that everyone else has their own amped gear so I'm just trying to get my kick sound out there. I have available amps and speakers, now I'm just trying to make sure they are appropriate for my own needs. I also like the sound of an amped kick when I rehearse alone :)

Ivan-- I see what you're saying about further pinpointing the probable cause (maybe it's not the speaker)
The sound I get i try to push through the SP2 has what I can only describe as a "blown" sound. Like the power is there but the speaker thump that should be there is just a fizzle.  At the beginning of our practice session they were working fine, but about half way through they were gone....first one, then the other SP2....just a distorted fizzle sound was coming out.....maybe i fried a board in the speaker box.

Troubleshooting: I switched out amps and got the same sounds out of the SP2s.
I also hooked the amp up to another speaker ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/jbl-jrx225-dual-15-two-way-passive-loudspeaker-with-2000w-peak-power ) and it seemed to work fine (no fizzle). I don't want to keep the JBL hooked up to it just in case i blow it too!

My pro-active approach says "go ahead and build/design a speaker configuration that will be specifically for the kick"......that's the informatio I am trying to pull together.....speaker types, hardware, etc.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 01:27:36 PM »

I guess that i just figured that everyone else has their own amped gear so I'm just trying to get my kick sound out there. I have available amps and speakers, now I'm just trying to make sure they are appropriate for my own needs. I also like the sound of an amped kick when I rehearse alone :)

Ivan-- I see what you're saying about further pinpointing the probable cause (maybe it's not the speaker)
The sound I get i try to push through the SP2 has what I can only describe as a "blown" sound. Like the power is there but the speaker thump that should be there is just a fizzle.  At the beginning of our practice session they were working fine, but about half way through they were gone....first one, then the other SP2....just a distorted fizzle sound was coming out.....maybe i fried a board in the speaker box.

Troubleshooting: I switched out amps and got the same sounds out of the SP2s.
I also hooked the amp up to another speaker ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/jbl-jrx225-dual-15-two-way-passive-loudspeaker-with-2000w-peak-power ) and it seemed to work fine (no fizzle). I don't want to keep the JBL hooked up to it just in case i blow it too!

My pro-active approach says "go ahead and build/design a speaker configuration that will be specifically for the kick"......that's the informatio I am trying to pull together.....speaker types, hardware, etc.
It is EXTREMELY RARE for a drummer to run his own speaker system-in many hundreds of gigs I have done, I have never seen it done-and I would push back against the whole idea-for a number of reasons.

While it "might" sound like a good idea to you, trust me-it is NOT and you are going to run into all sorts of "issues" by trying to do so.

It makes it much harder to control than if the drums are run through the whole PA.

What are you using for a PA?  Maybe that is where your efforts should be targeted.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

andy miller

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 01:46:34 PM »

It is EXTREMELY RARE for a drummer to run his own speaker system-in many hundreds of gigs I have done, I have never seen it done-and I would push back against the whole idea-for a number of reasons.

While it "might" sound like a good idea to you, trust me-it is NOT and you are going to run into all sorts of "issues" by trying to do so.

It makes it much harder to control than if the drums are run through the whole PA.

What are you using for a PA?  Maybe that is where your efforts should be targeted.

most of the places we play have house PA systems, so I'm not really worried about gigging with this set up. I mostly want it for my personal use for when I play at home.
I run my kick into a small mixing board (nothing else in the board) and then into my amp.....from the amp to the speakers. that is my configuration. no x-over, no EQ, that's it.

I just want the kick sound to come out of the speakers without blowing anything up so it makes sense to me to find out what a decent speaker for the job would be.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 01:46:34 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.