ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser e835 Sure SM58 or even JTS NX7  (Read 21086 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Sennheiser e835 Sure SM58 or even JTS NX7
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 02:51:53 PM »

Strongly disagree.  The 835 seems to have a slightly tighter pickup pattern (which gets you cleaner monitors and less stage wash) and there's nothing wrong with the build quality.  You can make a very noticeable improvement by changing a stage full of 58's to 835's.  I've heard it.

I find the 835 to have an "ice pick in the forehead" sound, particularly on some female vocalists and talking head presenters.  I'm a big Sennheiser fan in general but loathe the 835.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Penkala

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »

I find the 835 to have an "ice pick in the forehead" sound, particularly on some female vocalists and talking head presenters.  I'm a big Sennheiser fan in general but loathe the 835.

+1

The 835 is the only mic that makes me wish I had a Beta58.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 03:39:33 PM »

+1

The 835 is the only mic that makes me wish I had a Beta58.

The sm58 is the only unkillable, accepted long term solution
imo. there is a reason
 i have 58s that are from the mid 1970 s , stll working.

A word of advice, get them from a local store.
 there are many ,many  copies floating all over the internet,
that sound bad and are junk.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Jens Droessler

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 07:53:45 PM »

You got my +1 too. The whole 8xx range is hard to work with with many singers, lots of EQ point needed to make them sound smooth, especially the 835. I switched many 8 series to SM58 or Beta58 with instant improvements in sound. I like the 9 series, all of them, drums, instruments, vocal, no matter. But the 8... mediocre at best in my opinion.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 10:58:08 PM »

Care to elaborate, Bob?

I have always found the 835's to be rugged and I prefer their sound over the SM58.  I'm interested in what aspect you think they are cheaply made.

I've owned many Corey and without exception they have all let me down for one reason or another. They just don't seem to be able to take a beating. They also don't handle high SPL well either. Useless for guitar cabinets, they tend to distort when pushed hard. I'll agree they sound OK, and I still keep a couple around for those who feel the need, but for the OP the 58 is probably the route he should take, which is the lesser of all evils.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 12:36:06 AM »

I've owned many Corey and without exception they have all let me down for one reason or another. They just don't seem to be able to take a beating. They also don't handle high SPL well either. Useless for guitar cabinets, they tend to distort when pushed hard. I'll agree they sound OK, and I still keep a couple around for those who feel the need, but for the OP the 58 is probably the route he should take, which is the lesser of all evils.

I can see why our opinions differ.  Mine have only been used as vocal mics and for the most part they aren't subjected to rough conditions so they've served me quite well.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 03:53:20 AM »

I can see why our opinions differ.  Mine have only been used as vocal mics and for the most part they aren't subjected to rough conditions so they've served me quite well.

I don't know how the 835 sounds on anything except vocals and for that task I find them the same as Jens D. does.

Loves me some 945, though.

I'd like the MD421 if repairs weren't 85% of street price and if they wouldn't fail the first time it was looked at cross-eyed.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 12:53:07 PM »

I have to put my vote for the SM58, too, for many of the reasons stated.

It is the ~expected~ mic for most walk-ins, is rugged as the day is long, and a genuine Shure has a decent repair/exchange program.  Rarely will someone complain if a 58 is put in front of them - and those usually carry their own mics.  They are "the standard" for a reason.  They work.
I will echo the caution to buy new from a reputable dealer - there are many, many cheap knock-offs of the mic out there that don't perform.
Now, under full disclosure, I do not own any SM58 mics - I work with them almost daily with the house system on which I work and consider them "average" - something an "industry standard" is - a universal point of comparison.  There's much about them I don't really like.  But that's me.  We've had many great shows with them, as has so many others over time.  Until recently, my go-to mic has been my Senn 935s, with an 835 thrown in when necessary. (Bob L. knows my new favorites)  I don't have a particular love of the 835 either. 
frank

Steve Bradbury

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 08:09:37 PM »

Quote from: Bob Leonard

This surprises me. I’ve not used the 835s, but for the last 14 years I’ve been using 845, 855 and 865 mics. In that time I’ve not had a problem with one. Apart from a few scratches they still look like new.

Prior to using the Sennheisers I used SM58s and most ended up with dented grilles (still working of course). Unless the 835s are significantly inferior to the rest of the E series I would rate them as being just as tough as the SM58, if not more so.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 08:02:51 AM »

Hi, I am looking for a couple of microphones for a community venue.  They will be used for vocals and spoken word/comedy.  We need to keep the amount we spend down but think we could manage around £75 (each).  The other thing we need to consider is many of the people using them (both the performers and the sound techs) will not be very experienced.  Our set-up is a Peavey XR 696F PA with a monitor (The Box MA100).  The stage is 4 by 2 meters.

I know there are lots of options but I have narrowed it down to three and would like peoples opinion.  No one ever got fired to choosing Sure SM58 but it is the most expensive or the bunch and I gather tends to get a bit scurfy fairly easily.  Lots of people really like the Sennheiser e835 saying it often sound more realistic but doe not suit all voices.  It also sound lie it stays looking good longer than the Sure.

The real outsider is the JTS NX7.  I came across a sound engineer who has used all sorts of microphones but someone he worked for got some NX7s and he thinks they are a great alternative to the Sure but I cant find out much about them.  They are also a bit cheaper.

Ben

This topic belongs in the Lounge, but I will bite:

You looking for reasonable sound quality, reasonable appearance, and reasonable cost.

IMO: Go for the Senni's. They look better on camera, the grilles are more durable than 58s, and just as easily replaceable (if for a few quid more than 58s). They also have a 10 year warranty and Sennheiser  is very generous regarding failure. They know that drops, toxic breath, etc. constitute normal use. Anything beyond a cosmetic issue, i.e. grille, is pretty much covered by warranty. The SM was designed long before mic cupping was "acceptable practice". This recent madness was factored into the e Series designs.

I am not saying that the 835 is a "desert island" mic. Far from it. But non-professional speakers typically sound, um... non-professional - whatever mic is used. No brand or model choice  will be a silver bullet. You are operating in "The mic ain't the problem" territory.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:34:55 AM by Jim McKeveny »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 08:02:51 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.