ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless playback music solution for x32 rack?  (Read 14819 times)

Greg Martin

Re: Wireless playback music solution for x32 rack?
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 09:55:33 AM »

I guess it depends on your situation.  I have quality enough wireless gear that dropouts aren't a problem, and I live in an area with reliable LTE service.   I'm also only streaming music during a set break, when people are busy talking and the music is only background noise.    I wouldn't want to stream anything if I was a DJ or if I was queuing backup tracks.

Also, while I'm certainly no Billy Joe, and my band might not be on the level of the Boobettes, I AM that musician who "strolls" out into the audience to set up the basic mix while sound checking.   Unsettling?  How about empowering?   Depends on your perspective.   The shitholes I'm playing barely have the budgets to hire bands, never would be hiring actual sound folks.   I'm certainly not stealing biz from a sound company anywhere I'm playing by providing my own sound system.  At the same time, it sure gives the audience a better experience that I'm able to hear what they're hearing. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 10:05:15 AM by Greg Martin »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 02:14:35 PM »

I can just see it now,  yo Scott, you know Billy Joe Bob and the Booberettes played here last weekend and damn if the bass player didn't mix the show from his tablet.  I still sold just a many drinks so what do I need you for?  Hey pass me that Behringer catalog I gotta by me a PA.

Those Booberettes... Have a closer look.  They have Adam's apples.  The "Boberettes".  I'll take the Dykes on Bikes gig.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:06:34 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tracy Garner

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 02:30:18 PM »

just as the title says, I have an x32 rack that I really do love allowing me to have no front of house except for my iPad, my only question is that when I play music currently I have to connect my iPod directly to the back of the console aux 1/4' input on the stage, does anybody have a decent solution to send music wirelessly to the console? It would be great to be able to sit somewhere in the audience with an iPod or a phone streaming Pandora and be able to send that to my rack on stage

If you had a laptop at FOH, you could use it as your music source and use any number of programs to control that desktop remotely.

Another option (with a laptop) is using Serato Remote on an iPad to control Serato on the laptop. Serato now has Remote mini for iPhone but surprisingly there is no volume control.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 03:45:55 PM »

A risk with wireless streaming playback is that it works fine during a rehersal but doesn't work as well when 200 people show up trying to use their smartphones too.

Yes, I use wireless mics.  But I'm not expecting 100% of the audience to show up with devices that use the same frequencies as the mics.  :-)

Tracy Garner

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 04:06:42 PM »

A risk with wireless streaming playback is that it works fine during a rehersal but doesn't work as well when 200 people show up trying to use their smartphones too.

Yes, I use wireless mics.  But I'm not expecting 100% of the audience to show up with devices that use the same frequencies as the mics.  :-)

Totally agree - keep some music on a laptop at FOH. You can use the iPad to control the laptop. If all else fails, you can walk to the laptop.

There are some programs out there now working from the cloud that will buffer a whole song to your local storage while it queues before it plays - greatly reducing the risk of dropouts.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »

Give it time.  There are devices and services using the 700mHz band going live now.  Your 600mHz wireless will be useless (illegal +interference prone/causing) in another 2? - 4? years.

The astounding number of people who will voluntarily watch video on 4" screens is driving this.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Sean Miller

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 03:28:19 AM »

Spotify now has a remote control function. Spotify on iPhone or Android  can control the playback of Spotify on a desktop/laptop. Spotify can play local files or stream as needed. The only catch is you have to bounce back and forth from the X32 app and the Spotify app on your tablet

Or even better, I used to have a laptop continuously  play walk in or intermission music, and I would just mute it during  the performance. I could turn the volume back up at a moments notice.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 03:32:27 AM by Sean Miller »

Goerge Thomas

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 03:36:18 AM »

Spotify now has a remote control function. Spotify on iPhone or Android  can control the playback of Spotify on a desktop/laptop. Spotify can play local files or stream as needed. The only catch is you have to bounce back and forth from the X32 app and the Spotify app on your tablet

Or even better, I used to have a laptop continuously  play walk in or intermission music, and I would just mute it during  the performance. I could turn the volume back up at a moments notice.

I will probably end up doing this with a spare android phone or tablet I have laying around...

My airport express airplay sound quality is just not up to par at all...... I streamed everything from pandora to slacker to itunes to cds.... the airport express 1st gen audio out just aint great. I'm no DJ but the music has to sound great during break :)

Thanks everyone!

Lyle Williams

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 04:44:34 AM »

My airport express is fine.  Digital all the way to a DAC in the AE.  The DAC isn't as good as an $x hundred dollar outboard job, but is as good a a laptop or tablet DAC.  Is the software you are using Airplay aware, or is your audio being decompressed/recompressed/decompressed again?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 07:46:24 PM »

To the OP

I presume you are using a commercial license for Pandora since your stated use is clearly not for your own enjoyment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 07:46:24 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.