ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Channel assignments to subgroups  (Read 3517 times)

Pablo Arredondo

Channel assignments to subgroups
« on: December 16, 2014, 01:49:32 PM »

Hello everyone,
I was sitting here and wondering if there is a standard on how to assign channels (instruments/vocals) to Subgroups? I'm the MD at my church, and we have a few teenagers that help out of the soundboard, but they don't have a full grasp on assigning channels, neither do I pretty much! I'll give you a rundown on our board, and the instruments we use.
Board: Presonus StudioLive 24 (Four subgroups)
Kick, snare, and one overhead centered over the kit, (drums are fully enclosed in drum booth)
Bass/DI
Keys/DI
Acoustic Guitar/DI
Electric Guitar/SM57 on guitar cab
and 5 wired mics for Praise team and 1 shared wireless mic for our worship leader and Pastor
As of right now, the subgroup assignment is SUBGROUP 1 (Vocals), SUBGROUP 2 (Keys), SUBGROUP 3 (Bass/Guitars), SUBGROUP 4 (Drums).
For some reason I don't think this is ideal, however I might be dead wrong, like I said, I don't have a full grasp on subgroup assignments.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brayden Cohen

Re: Channel assignments to subgroups
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 03:22:49 PM »

IMHO i think your current subgroup set up ideal. I think what is most important is setting up your mix into the subgroups is even.
My understanding of subgroups are just basically taking you whole entire drum kit, for example, and bringing it up in the mix rather than to grab all the faders with the benefit of inserting whatever is need (compressor EQ's etc)

Pablo Arredondo

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 04:20:37 PM »

Thanks Brayden.

Michael Williams

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • www.fohmix.com
    • FOHMIX
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 10:26:47 PM »

As of right now, the subgroup assignment is SUBGROUP 1 (Vocals), SUBGROUP 2 (Keys), SUBGROUP 3 (Bass/Guitars), SUBGROUP 4 (Drums).

The best use of sub-group is to adjust the volume of anything you tend to adjust together.  It has a lot to do with how you mix for your environment and is thus somewhat a personal preference/style.

Your drums on a sub-group makes sense.  A single keyboard on a sub-group makes less sense to me personally because you are not grouping multiple things, but if you like that arrangement then great.

One thing I like to do with my sub-groups is to put all the vocals except the lead vocal on a group so I can drop the level of multiple backup singer mics when the lead person is talking or when fitting the backup singers in the mix.
-Michael

Excellence in engineering starts first with the engineer, not the equipment.
www.fohmix.com

Ron Balsom

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 01:35:24 AM »

Hello everyone,
I was sitting here and wondering if there is a standard on how to assign channels (instruments/vocals) to Subgroups? I'm the MD at my church, and we have a few teenagers that help out of the soundboard, but they don't have a full grasp on assigning channels, neither do I pretty much! I'll give you a rundown on our board, and the instruments we use.
Board: Presonus StudioLive 24 (Four subgroups)
Kick, snare, and one overhead centered over the kit, (drums are fully enclosed in drum booth)
Bass/DI
Keys/DI
Acoustic Guitar/DI
Electric Guitar/SM57 on guitar cab
and 5 wired mics for Praise team and 1 shared wireless mic for our worship leader and Pastor
For some reason I don't think this is ideal, however I might be dead wrong, like I said, I don't have a full grasp on subgroup assignments.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The 'norm' I use and teach is something like this:  standing behind the mixer, use your left hand/fingers, on the lead vocal and lead instrument, as if the lead vocal was also playing the lead instrument.  using your right hand, on the subs.  Typically the backup vocals are 'blended' as sounding like 'one' sound.  So the subs could look like this....1) vocals...2) strings....3) winds....4) drums....the whole idea being that the lead vocal and whatever instrument that person is playing, is on lust two fingers and of coarse those two channels are probable the most 'adjusted' during normal praise.  Blessings,  Ron B. Casper, Wyo. [email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 01:35:24 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.