ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Light-o-Rama Dimmers for Professional Use  (Read 7980 times)

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
Re: Light-o-Rama Dimmers for Professional Use
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 05:43:03 AM »

Thanks for all the input!

So when you say a pro dimmer, are these below par when compared to the $100 dimmer packs or do you mean the really pro dimmers?  Honestly, the only reason I'm interested in these is because of their weather resistance.  Good point Cailen about how these aren't totally waterproof.  I wouldn't expect them to be and these won't be installed outdoors - I'm just looking to add a few more dimmers to my rig and would like something that I can use on my outdoor shows without having to worry too much.  Exploring LOR's website, they do sell the enclosures as a stand alone product...  How advisable would it be to fit one of my 4ch dimmers into one of these (just mounting it inside, not ripping it apart and installing it)?  My concern would be ventilation, but beyond that, might that be a way to use a better dimmer outdoors?

-Jeff
The LOR dimmers are on par with low end home dimmer switches and VERY low end 4 pack dimmers.  They are simply an opto isolated triac or dual SCR circuit with no filtering or protection. Something as simple as a lamp burning out or hot plugging an instrument can damage a dimmer.  The component that switches the electricity on and off for dimming 8 amps peak.  A really good heat sink is needed to even reach close to that rating.

The next step up in dimming has the same switch but adds a choke for keeping the EMF at bay. MAYBE a better heat sink and native DMX.

Really good pro dimmers will have bigger chokes and more robust switching modules. The switching module in a pro 20A  dimmer is really rated around 25A to as much as 50A.

Take a look at the physical size and added components/ thermal management in a pro dimmer compared to the LOR units. Also look real hard at the control and power limitations.  They also have timing problems when run from 3 phase power.

LOR has a place, and if your only running low wattage lamps in single phase power systems then they are fine.  I would have no problem specking them again, for the right use.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 05:41:57 PM »

Thanks for the details Tom.  From what you're saying it seems like my needs will exceed the capabilities of these dimmers.  That's what I wanted to know!  As far as the lights I'm using with these - just generic halogen Par 64s and 38s.  I know it's not exactly good practice to get them wet either, but they can handle a downpour a lot better than an unprotected dimmer can!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 05:41:57 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.