Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > HistoryOfConcertSound.org

Nuremburg Ralley PA ?

(1/18) > >>

Mike Diack:
There are thousands of pictures around of Hitler ranting into bottle mics (presumably Neumann) at the ralleys, but none of the long shots of the field seem to show any speakers. What was between the mics and the ears of the hundreds of thousands of listeners? Amps? Speakers? and dare I say it - time alignment?.
M

Steve M Smith:
Not sure... but yes, the mics were Neumann (or Telefunken).  In fact, one model is sometimes referred to as the Hitler Microphone.

Time alignment... not likely!

Steve.

Mike Diack:

--- Quote from: Steve M Smith on December 08, 2014, 04:38:19 PM ---Time alignment... not likely!
Steve.

--- End quote ---
The Germans were way ahead of the field with magnetic recording technology, and I have some vague recollection of some sort of rotating disc with movable heads for short time delays.
M

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Steve M Smith on December 08, 2014, 04:38:19 PM ---

Time alignment... not likely!

Steve.

--- End quote ---
I have heard (cannot confirm) that delay was achieved in the early days by running a small speaker into a tube with a mic at the other end (plane wave tube).

This tube could then be coiled up to the length needed.

The mic would supply the delay system.

Steve M Smith:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on December 08, 2014, 07:09:23 PM ---This tube could then be coiled up to the length needed.
--- End quote ---
That's a clever idea, but wouldn't the length needed be equal to the distance between the speakers?  That could be quite a lot of tube!

--- Quote from: Mike Diack on December 08, 2014, 06:50:28 PM ---The Germans were way ahead of the field with magnetic recording technology
--- End quote ---
They had a machine which recorded on wire at that time.  Have a look on Dave Rat's YouTube channel.  He gives a demonstration of one which he got hold of.

EDIT: Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qCenGzoTTA

Steve.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version