ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Coax wedge suggestions?  (Read 7082 times)

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
Coax wedge suggestions?
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:00:02 PM »

I'm looking for some suggestions for upgrading our monitor wedges from the Yamaha SM12IV wedges we currently use. The Yamahas have been bulletproof and sound decent enough, but the horizontal pattern isn't really wide enough for two vocalists to share a wedge and I'd also like something with a smaller footprint if possible.

I'm thinking coaxial wedges might be the best solution on both counts. Any good suggestions out there in the sub-$1k range? I don't have a strong preference on active vs. passive. Doesn't need to be super-loud, but we occasionally need kick and/or bass in the wedges so there does need to be decent low-frequency response (the SM12s we have are adequate in that respect).

Thanks for your ideas!
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
Re: Coax wedge suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:04:25 AM »

Check out the Radian APEX 1200XD
We have had great results even run passive.
RCF also make some nice options.

Disclaimer: We are dealers for both and just sold some Radians to a national touring act. We didnt try to make the sale, after the show, the star asked the tour production manager to make it happen. (yes they had a touring monitor engineer as well)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 07:40:38 AM »

I'm looking for some suggestions for upgrading our monitor wedges from the Yamaha SM12IV wedges we currently use. The Yamahas have been bulletproof and sound decent enough, but the horizontal pattern isn't really wide enough for two vocalists to share a wedge and I'd also like something with a smaller footprint.

Thanks for your ideas!

Jeff...

I can relate to your quest.  I just wonder if there's really anything wide enough to do two people at a time, though.  My choice ended up with one box/musician for several reasons, but if you're working with just one set of musicians who can handle it or a single venue with a really small stage maybe it will work.

Certainly coaxial would have more equal sound to each side than the orientation of the drivers in the Yamahas.  I wonder what happens, though, when you turn them up loud enough for two people off axis to hear and shoot the higher on axis volume onto the stage unimpeded by any bodies.

If it works, then good.  Just wondering about a few other considerations.  I'm using Alto powered concentrics myself.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

jason misterka

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »

I'm looking for some suggestions for upgrading our monitor wedges from the Yamaha SM12IV wedges we currently use. The Yamahas have been bulletproof and sound decent enough, but the horizontal pattern isn't really wide enough for two vocalists to share a wedge and I'd also like something with a smaller footprint if possible.

I'm thinking coaxial wedges might be the best solution on both counts. Any good suggestions out there in the sub-$1k range? I don't have a strong preference on active vs. passive. Doesn't need to be super-loud, but we occasionally need kick and/or bass in the wedges so there does need to be decent low-frequency response (the SM12s we have are adequate in that respect).

Thanks for your ideas!

Check out the TurboSound TMW112. Coax B&C.  The 12" are in your price range and are tiny and light. Biamp or passive and have a pole mount if helpful.

We bought eight and I love them, they sound pretty good passive and can sound fantastic biamped.

Jason

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 02:23:55 PM »

Jeff...

I can relate to your quest.  I just wonder if there's really anything wide enough to do two people at a time, though.  My choice ended up with one box/musician for several reasons, but if you're working with just one set of musicians who can handle it or a single venue with a really small stage maybe it will work.

Certainly coaxial would have more equal sound to each side than the orientation of the drivers in the Yamahas.  I wonder what happens, though, when you turn them up loud enough for two people off axis to hear and shoot the higher on axis volume onto the stage unimpeded by any bodies.

If it works, then good.  Just wondering about a few other considerations.  I'm using Alto powered concentrics myself.

I agree that one wedge/musician is the ideal and hope to do that under normal circumstances (would take about 8 wedges to do that). This is more about those occasions where we pull in extra background vocals, or brass, or whatever--hard to justify the extra boxes to use only 3-4 times a year, and limited space to deploy 1 box/musician anyway.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 02:30:07 PM »

I agree that one wedge/musician is the ideal and hope to do that under normal circumstances (would take about 8 wedges to do that). This is more about those occasions where we pull in extra background vocals, or brass, or whatever--hard to justify the extra boxes to use only 3-4 times a year, and limited space to deploy 1 box/musician anyway.

In that case I put up two side-washes at head height SL/SR in addition to any floor wedges.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 03:20:18 PM »

I've got 4 of these and the performers love them.  Great sound, light, passive and wide dispersion. They may be out of your price range though.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/molded-synergy-horns/sh-lpm/

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »

In that case I put up two side-washes at head height SL/SR in addition to any floor wedges.
+1

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »

Do you have a local rental shop? Seems like better money spent to rent 4 extra wedges on that 3-4 times a year. In my neck of the woods that's pretty cheap.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 09:49:13 PM »

Do you have a local rental shop? Seems like better money spent to rent 4 extra wedges on that 3-4 times a year. In my neck of the woods that's pretty cheap.

In terms of space, aux count, and complexity I think we'd be better to deploy a couple of side fills or share monitors on those 3-4 times per year rather than rent.

We're sharing wedges every Sunday now; the idea is to add a couple to existing inventory so we can have 1 wedge/muso on a regular basis. I figure while we're at it might as well get something with wide enough coverage to share more gracefully than what we have currently.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 09:49:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.