ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha CL max capacity  (Read 9079 times)

Daniel Wade

Yamaha CL max capacity
« on: November 26, 2014, 12:15:56 AM »

Hello,
I'm doing research on Yamaha CL5 console and haven't found the answer to a question.  I would like to mix monitors from FOH and want the ability to modify the signal to the monitors (EQ mostly) differently than the FOH sound.  Easy answer - get a dedicated monitor board.  I get this but what about just a few channels?

On the CL one can duplicate/patch an input to multiple channels.  Anyone know if duplicating the input to multiple channels affects the maximum mix capacity?

Thanks.
Daniel

Frederik Rosenkjær

Re: Yamaha CL max capacity
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 02:51:08 AM »

Most digital consoles, including the CL, can do this no problem. It doesn't make any difference to the mix capacity other than taking up an extra channel for each channel you want to have separate control of the monitors, even though both channels are using the same input.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:13:39 AM »

Double-patching inputs is the second-oldest trick in the book. You're only using up input channels, not mixes or outputs.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 09:18:51 AM »

Double-patching inputs is the second-oldest trick in the book. You're only using up input channels, not mixes or outputs.

The first oldest is turning the knob on an unpatched channel while looking expectantly at the singer. "How's that?  Better?  Good!"
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 11:40:24 AM »

Hello,
I'm doing research on Yamaha CL5 console and haven't found the answer to a question.  I would like to mix monitors from FOH and want the ability to modify the signal to the monitors (EQ mostly) differently than the FOH sound.  Easy answer - get a dedicated monitor board.  I get this but what about just a few channels?

On the CL one can duplicate/patch an input to multiple channels.  Anyone know if duplicating the input to multiple channels affects the maximum mix capacity?

Thanks.
Daniel

Your post never asks the question in the subject line, but in addition to the fact that however many input channels you use it does not affect any of the other capabilities of the console, on a CL-5 you have a maximum of 72 mono input control channels, 8 stereo input control channels (88 audio input paths), and using the matrixes as mixes, 32 aux sends plus stereo and mono outs. A CL-3 reduces the mono inputs to 64, and a CL-1 reduces them to 48, all other features are the same.

Mac

Daniel Wade

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 12:00:37 PM »

The first oldest is turning the knob on an unpatched channel while looking expectantly at the singer. "How's that?  Better?  Good!"

I love it! Amazing how it actually works so often.

Daniel Wade

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 12:19:18 PM »

Your post never asks the question in the subject line, but in addition to the fact that however many input channels you use it does not affect any of the other capabilities of the console, on a CL-5 you have a maximum of 72 mono input control channels, 8 stereo input control channels (88 audio input paths), and using the matrixes as mixes, 32 aux sends plus stereo and mono outs. A CL-3 reduces the mono inputs to 64, and a CL-1 reduces them to 48, all other features are the same.

Mac

Thanks all for the responses.  The "audio input paths" is the place of concern.  After reading more last night and thinking about this I thought it was a silly question.

I like the "32 aux send" statement - it makes more sense to me rather than figuring out the subtle differences between between a matrix use case versus a mix use case. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 01:06:14 PM »

Thanks all for the responses.  The "audio input paths" is the place of concern.  After reading more last night and thinking about this I thought it was a silly question.

I like the "32 aux send" statement - it makes more sense to me rather than figuring out the subtle differences between between a matrix use case versus a mix use case.

You need to understand the not-so-subtle differences between matrices and mix sends.  Yamaha and a couple other manufacturers allow inputs to be routed directly to a matrix, giving you the capability to use that matrix as a mix send.  More traditional implementations of matrices have a matrix get its inputs from other mixes (L/R, "groups" or "submasters" etc).  This can be powerful routing and processing facility, but it's not like using matrices as "aux" mix sends.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 03:33:06 PM »

You need to understand the not-so-subtle differences between matrices and mix sends.  Yamaha and a couple other manufacturers allow inputs to be routed directly to a matrix, giving you the capability to use that matrix as a mix send.  More traditional implementations of matrices have a matrix get its inputs from other mixes (L/R, "groups" or "submasters" etc).  This can be powerful routing and processing facility, but it's not like using matrices as "aux" mix sends.

Don't forget that when you send an input channel to a matrix, that it is only post fader, and can not be switched to pre fader like normal aux sends (at least on the CL5).

Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Daniel Wade

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 06:19:56 PM »

Don't forget that when you send an input channel to a matrix, that it is only post fader, and can not be switched to pre fader like normal aux sends (at least on the CL5).

Hi Justice,
According to the CL Editor, the "Send Point for Input Channels" is PRE-EQ or PRE-Fader.  I don't have CL in front of me to try this.  I think this means there is no option to send post fader from any source (mix, LR, M or input).  Is the actual behavior on the CL5 different?

This makes using an input in the matrix less usable to me as I think I would generally want all inputs to the matrix (outputs from other sources) to be post fader.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 06:19:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.