ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital mixer features  (Read 8609 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Digital mixer features
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 03:11:31 AM »

I've got a somewhat on topic question.

On the A&H Q 24 & 32 series will adding a stage box gain you any more total input channels or do have to pick and choose between local and stage box inputs not exceeding either 24 or 32 depending on the board.

Pick and choose...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 05:45:25 AM »

Alex, I'm guessing that you are using an x32 rack, and don't have the option to use a surface. It is a shame that that makes you feel that mixing on a digital board is frustrating. I use my iPad as another tool on the gig for adjusting levels. It's particularly good for ringing out monitors while standing right in front of them, but I would not enjoy mixing an entire show from my iPad all of the time. Some folks are happy with this solution, but I would like to have a surface to go back to. This does not however mean that mixing on digital boards in General is less tactile than analog.

As far as work flow goes I have been on just about every board in this cataglory and I still come back to the behringer. In its price class (anything under 5-6k) it is still the best thing out there in my opinion. I have a fill in gig that I work about once a month on a soundcraft expression, and I really dislike the way it feels, the knobs and faders feel cheap, and the screen shows little to no information. And the eq has dedicated shelves on top and bottom and really only 2 bands of parametric control. That's the deal breaker for me. I'm sure the Allen and Heath is really nice but the low count of aux sends has kept me away from it.

I'm not looking to start another flame war here, these are just my opinions and observations, in understand that others are very happy with their Si, and AH boards, and that's great  :) I hope that this helps

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 06:19:53 AM »

The Mackie DL boards show gate & compression above the channel faders on the iPad, as well as an EQ graph & other indicators. The user interface is very easy, and intuitive.

I would go so far as to say, that based on downloading and trying out all the apps available, that the Mackie app is the most user friendly.  As Steve said, you can view, at a glance, your gate action, compressor action, channel EQ and input gain on every channel and output without having to go into a menu unless you want to adjust them.

And there's two ways to access all of your aux sends and assignments: an mix layer that works like your LR layer or you can go into an individual channel and adjust all of that channel's levels for each send at once.  Every possible adjustment on the board is now just one layer down from the main screen and accessible from at least two paths.

And the latest version of Master Fader now has 4 VCAs and 4 subgroups. I would definitely add this to your list of apps to test drive.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 06:31:54 AM »

Pick and choose...

And that confirms what I thought.

David Junius

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 08:32:29 AM »

It seems from all the comments here plus my own research that all the consoles on the market will have different feature sets. From workflow, sound quality, recording ability, expand ability, and a few others they all have their own different features. So I guess what I need to do is decide which features I can live without as nothing in this price range will have all the features I desire. I'm working on finding other consoles to test drive but so far it's just the x32 and any of the older yamaha stuff. Tim's comment about using side chain eq on gates and comps is something I never thought of. I understand its use but have never played that game even analog. I suppose the easiest way to describe it is this. From analog, the bigger more expensive boards had better features which it seemed digital consoles were able to easily add since its just a box with software in it, however the reality is that not all analog features have made the transition to the lower price point digital equipment yet some features have surpassed analog at that same price point. I feel I have better direction now, thanks.

David

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »

It seems from all the comments here plus my own research that all the consoles on the market will have different feature sets. From workflow, sound quality, recording ability, expand ability, and a few others they all have their own different features. So I guess what I need to do is decide which features I can live without as nothing in this price range will have all the features I desire. I'm working on finding other consoles to test drive but so far it's just the x32 and any of the older yamaha stuff. Tim's comment about using side chain eq on gates and comps is something I never thought of. I understand its use but have never played that game even analog. I suppose the easiest way to describe it is this. From analog, the bigger more expensive boards had better features which it seemed digital consoles were able to easily add since its just a box with software in it, however the reality is that not all analog features have made the transition to the lower price point digital equipment yet some features have surpassed analog at that same price point. I feel I have better direction now, thanks.

David

Basic feature sets will be similar within a give price range, what will be different is the implementation of those features.  Don't get hung up on tablet/phone apps as a 100% rejection criteria as they are software and can/will be changed.  I'd view the lack of a functional app to be a negative....

I manage a firm with a really big (seven figure) investment in JBL/Crown/EAW, with Avid Digidesign and Yamaha mixers.  I personally own an X32 and X32Rack even though I could just drive to the shop and get whatever "big dog" mixer I want from our inventory.  Whatever workflow issues Alex R has, I do not share them (I have my own, but that's not the point of this discussion) as I don't have a need to view all channel dynamics simultaneously.  I've mixed on the Soundcraft Expression/Performer, Presonus SL, and Yamaha 01v96II.  Of all, the only one I reject is the Presonus as I found the UI confusing in the heat of a gig; YMMV.

I don't think you'll go wrong with almost any of the current crop of compact digital mixers.  I'd caution you to *fully understand* how features critical to your work are implemented... for example, MIDAS Pro 1 can't do mix sends that are fully pre-EQ, pre-fader so doing mons from FOH might be a problem.  You should download and play with any "stand alone" or "editor" software for each mixer you are considering.  Lots of things will be come evident that were not so easy to discern from a manual or written description.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Garris

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 01:29:26 PM »

That's great but it doesn't do anything for the layers/menus/pages or lack of tactile feedback.  I can't imagine mixing a whole show on a tablet.  I use mine to walk around a bit, but foh is a 23" touchscreen monitor and there's still too much paging around to access everything I need during a gig.  And before someone suggests that building the show ahead of time would solve those issues, the band is a very fluid entity when they're playing and I need to be also.  I could save a scene for every song they know and it still wouldn't alleviate the need to mix on the fly when they throw a curve.

You sound exactly like me, before I got the Mackie DL. I am now 100% mixing on an iPad.

From what I've seen out there, the X32 compact would be ideal for your needs, and you can use an iPad as well.

Taurusty

• Xtatik!
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »

Just slightly off topic:
My digital exposure extends omly to an 01V.

Why would someone still be using groups if there are enough DCA's available?

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 02:23:56 PM »

Just slightly off topic:

I'll use a group to parallel compress vocals when needed and on the SL16.4.2 at my normal venue I route effects through groups so I have fader control of them.  I do agree, however, that DCAs are very useful.

..dave
..db

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »

Just slightly off topic:

Because in a group you can apply processing to the summed signals.  In DCA's  and VCA's there is no actual audio content, simply linked control of the level of the assigned channels.

BTW, you should go to your profile and change your display name to your real, full name as we all are required to do to post here.

Hope the info helps.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.