ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PAT (Test and Tag)  (Read 4665 times)

Glenn James

• Darwin, Australia
PAT (Test and Tag)
« on: November 25, 2014, 12:06:19 AM »

In my part of the world we are supposed to test and tag leads and equipment every 3 months for gear used for hire purposes.
Of course, it is a big headache keeping up with this demand and expensive if you outsource it. I know the test companies will regularly just whack another tag on without testing anyway, but that's another story.
Looking for opinions and real world experience from others in the industry how often equipment, especially cables, fails these tests.
Mostly I think it would be very obvious if a cable had a fault because there would either be a big, fat chunk missing from the cable jacket which would be noticed next time it was used or rolled up, maybe well ahead of inspection time.... Or if the break was inside of a cable with no particular damage to the jacket well the appliance just wouldn't work. Except for a break in the earth, that could be a problem given the right chain of events.

I was thinking that we are doing this all wrong, surely it would be more beneficial to legislate RCD and safety switches in venues worked correctly and are tested often. Not sure if that is already happening.
Perhaps there is something we could 'plug in' upstream of any equipment we use which could be tested and anything downstream is automatically covered under the one test?

Just thinking out loud, I know we will get all kinds of responses but I am sick of sitting in the workshop removing sticky labels from my gear, and then putting another on and logging this in a book for no real benefit to my business at all, and many negatives including wasted time and extra expense.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: PAT (Test and Tag)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 01:59:46 AM »

Although not legally obliged, most companies here (UK) do a PAT inspection of all equipment.  I'm talking about factories, offices, etc.  I have never been asked to show evidence of a test when bringing equipment into a venue though.

Certainly 'RCD and safety switches in venues' is important but that's dealing with the symptoms of failure, not the cause.

Much better to make sure your equipment is in good condition so it doesn't need the safety net - which should be there just in case.

Steve.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 06:02:23 AM »

All electrical gear will ultimately fail.  Inspection and testing hopes to take this gear out of service before it causes harm.

Inspection and testing is a pain.  That said, Is there some other way of discovering failing gear?

Glenn James

• Darwin, Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 08:15:06 AM »

Yes of course it will fail, but whether there is a sticker on the lead when failure occurs does not make the failure more or less dangerous.
I can pat test something this morning, and somebody can drop a stage panel on the lead this afternoon, damaging the wiring.

I blame the guy who shows up with 20 year old amps with wires hanging out from plugs and power boards covered in burn marks for making the rest of us spend time and money on something with no tangible benefit.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 01:21:09 PM »

The combination of test and tag plus RCD/GFCI has reduced the number of electrical fatalities in Australia by about one a month.  Most of these missing fatalities are in the construction industry, where tools are subject to high levels of damage, moisture, and contamination.

Sadly the high risk construction tool hire business and lower risk hire activities are all grouped together under the same "hire" banner with the same inspection and test frequency.

I don't have any hard figures, but the cost per life saved appears to be around $10M, typical of a lot of safety initiatives in the modern world.

And yes, it is the fault of the guy with the 20-year-old gear with wires hanging out.  But now there is a basis for identifying and excluding such gear.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 03:29:16 PM »

In the UK, all of our construction site tools are powered via 240 to 110 volt step down transformers with a centre tapped ground so the maximum potential above ground is only 55 volts.  Anything like that in Australia?

And I have just discovered that there is an even safer 24 volt version with a lovely purple socket cover!

Steve.

Steve Bradbury

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 05:02:49 PM »

Inspection and testing is a pain.

I blame the guy who shows up with 20 year old amps with wires hanging out from plugs and power boards covered in burn marks for making the rest of us spend time and money on something with no tangible benefit

Comments like these are the reason why we need legislation. If you perceive safety inspections as an unwelcome inconvenience you are hardly likely to implement the practice of safety checks voluntarily; and whilst visual inspection plays a large part of the testing, equipment that looks in good condition can sometimes fail. It is not just the other guy’s tatty old equipment.

Glenn James

• Darwin, Australia
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 05:25:26 PM »

Comments like these are the reason why we need legislation. If you perceive safety inspections as an unwelcome inconvenience you are hardly likely to implement the practice of safety checks voluntarily; and whilst visual inspection plays a large part of the testing, equipment that looks in good condition can sometimes fail. It is not just the other guy’s tatty old equipment.

Yes the guy with the leads hanging out and tatty old equipment didn't happen overnight, it took many years of abuse and neglect to get that way.
When I test quarterly (which I believe is way too often) as is legislated because of other parts of the hire industry where equipment gets heavily abused and is subjected to harsh conditions every day, I am spending money and time which could be better spent.
Nothing I have PAT tested in the last 3 years has failed. I have tossed several IEC leads in this time because of physical damage which would have happened regardless of whether I was testing or not.

Steve Bradbury

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 07:12:48 PM »

I’m not sure whether there different legislative regulations in different regions of Australia, but just a few seconds on Google resulted in the following link.

https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/atoms/files/guide-testing-and-tagging-portable-electrical-equipment-and-residual-current-devices.pdf

From the linked document.

Regulations that apply to all other workplaces (all other meaning not a construction or demolition site)

Regulation 3.60 of the OSH regulations requires that all RCDs be kept in a safe working condition and tested regularly.
Regulation 4.37 of the OSH regulations deals with the duties as to the use of any electrical equipment or RCD at workplaces other than construction and demolition sites.
Under this regulation, an employer, self-employed person, main contractor, person having control of a workplace or person having control of access to a workplace must ensure that electrical equipment and RCDs at the workplace are subject to the appropriate checks, tests and inspections necessary to reduce the risk of injury or harm occurring to a person at that workplace.

With regards tagging:

For workplaces other than construction or demolition sites operations, portable electrical equipment and RCDs are not required to be tagged. However, there should be evidence that a maintenance program is in place.

And frequency:

All portable electrical equipment and RCDs used in a workplace must be regularly inspected and tested in accordance with the OSH regulations, as appropriate.
The frequency of inspection and testing varies for different work situations: construction and demolition sites — the inspection and testing intervals must be in accordance with AS/NZS 3012:2003; and all other workplaces — require a risk management approach to determine the type of inspection and if necessary any testing required.

Inspection needs to be done more frequently in an operating environment where electrical equipment is, during normal usage, subjected to adverse operating conditions likely to result in damage to the electrical equipment,eg. potential exposure to moisture, heat, vibration, corrosive chemicals or mechanical damage. The risk assessment should determine where more specific testing of electrical equipment is necessary and the frequency of such testing.

The document also states that:

Irrespective of who does the work, the worker must be authorised by the employer for the workplace. The person authorising the work must be satisfied that:
the inspection and testing program is appropriate and adequate for the needs of the workplace; and 
the workers carrying out testing and tagging are competent to do the work (i.e. licensed electrician or appropriately trained competent person).

Based on the above, it would appear that if you are the employer for the workplace and you feel that a longer test period is appropriate and adequate, then there is nothing to stop you doing so nor do you need to tag.

Back to me:

For PA equipment that is continually being set up, taken down, moved, set up.... operators should be visually inspecting the gear with each use, and in my opinion a quarterly full electrical test is not excessive; obviously you do so we will just have to disagree.

Glenn James

• Darwin, Australia
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 11:09:15 PM »

My gear is visually inspected every time it is used. Here and there you find a nick in a cable or a loose cable gland so you put it aside to repair, throw it away or make it right on the spot if that is possible.
For gear in regular, constant use a quarterly inspection seems quite suitable, but for something used a couple of times a month, less wear and tear, less maintenance should be required.

Regarding the law, what you have posted above demonstrates how open to interpretation our regulations are. AS/NZ regulations are not law but a recommendation made by a private company with an interest in selling copies of their regulatory manuals. They are not a government organisation and have no power to enforce their standards.
Their recommendations may have some standing in court if you can be proven to ignore or contravene their 'standards' and many venues require tagging to these standards to operate in their facilities. Otherwise they will do it for you for a hefty fee.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 11:09:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.