ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm just an audio plumber  (Read 8673 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: I'm just an audio plumber
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 12:44:04 PM »

Water is a useful analogy for several properties of electricity, but like flushing the toilet twice when it didn't empty, some people still won't get it.

JR

I'm getting a mental cartoon of Einstein hollering at his wife for repeatedly flushing their toilet expecting a different result...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 12:58:05 PM »

Is that like trying the light switch twice when a bulb is blown?

Steve.

In fact sometimes a dirty switch will work after repeated tries. I had a high tech LED lamp fail several years before it's MTBF date so I decided to take it apart to see what I could find. I did not find any smoking gun fault, but when I screwed it back in, it started working again. I left the plastic light diffusers off it, so now it runs cooler and throws more light. It has been working some 6 months since then so may run a lot longer. (Yes, I did try the switch twice.  ;D)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 12:37:43 AM »

I'm getting a mental cartoon of Einstein hollering at his wife for repeatedly flushing their toilet expecting a different result...

I actually spent a couple of years as an apprentice plumber.

I think the "flush it again" mentality is because people don't understand how a toilet works. I think many believe that when you push the handle, the waste is somehow sucked down. And if it doesn't suck it down the first time, maybe it will suck it down the second time.

Of course, a toilet doesn't work on a vacuum principle, but a controlled overflow that initiates a siphon. If the siphon fails, flushing again will just result in an uncontrolled overflow.

And since we're on the subject, here's how to use a plunger. Don't use sharp downward thrusts -- that just jams the clog tighter and sprays nasties all over the place.

Instead, gently compress the plunger to remove trapped air. Then use short, quick strokes; the push-pull action breaks up the clog.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 03:03:52 AM »

In fact sometimes a dirty switch will work after repeated tries

I have only ever had one that did that... and it was in a house I was refurbishing which I filled with brick dust cutting out channels for cables with an angle grinder.

Steve.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 10:03:22 AM »

I have only ever had one that did that... and it was in a house I was refurbishing which I filled with brick dust cutting out channels for cables with an angle grinder.

Steve.

Such an intermittent mains switch still needs to be replaced,,,, Just saying I have seen it. A bad switch contact could be higher resistance and cause local heating (a possible fire hazard).

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 10:03:22 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.