ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CAT5/6 Cable Tester for HDBaseT  (Read 3662 times)

Lewis Murray

CAT5/6 Cable Tester for HDBaseT
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »

What is recommended for testing CAT5e and CAT6a Shielded cabling when being used for HDBaseT applications?

I have found that using basic pair checkers to be unreliable. For this reason we've been using a Fluke DTX1800 to "Certify" cabling when troubleshooting.

I'm asking the question because I have a Tech Support Technician for an unnamed Manufacturer telling me that I can't use the Fluke DTX 1800 to test cabling. He also stated that the "Shield" wasn't being used as a "Shield" but as a ninth conductor.

Guy Tittley

Re: CAT5/6 Cable Tester for HDBaseT
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 08:06:42 AM »

I use the Fluke Microscanner 2 for checking pairs and screen are wired AOK, and always use screened CAT6a cable (Excel part 100-191).
For ends Ethercon CAT6 and Telegartner J00026A2001 or sometimes Harting industrial CAT6 ends.

Avoid patching and wall plates if possible; a single end to end CAT6a run, exiting via brushplates, with Telegartner ends has proved to be the most reliable method for HD-BaseT here.

It's usually from an AMX DVX or an Atlona AT-HDRX to a Panasonic projector's HDBaseT in.

We used to get the network installers to run, terminate and test the cables but still had many problems.
The above method always works.

What is recommended for testing CAT5e and CAT6a Shielded cabling when being used for HDBaseT applications?

I have found that using basic pair checkers to be unreliable. For this reason we've been using a Fluke DTX1800 to "Certify" cabling when troubleshooting.

I'm asking the question because I have a Tech Support Technician for an unnamed Manufacturer telling me that I can't use the Fluke DTX 1800 to test cabling. He also stated that the "Shield" wasn't being used as a "Shield" but as a ninth conductor.

Robert Healey

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:42:23 AM »

Crestron recommends using a Fluke DTX 1800 to test DXlink, which is HDBaseT based:

http://www.crestron.com/downloads/pdf/product_misc/dm_cable_plant_certification.pdf

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:42:23 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.