ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking over a neglected system  (Read 30291 times)

Kent Thompson

Re: Taking over a neglected system
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 11:01:44 PM »

It does make sense that they would change the speakers used for the speaking. Speaking would be a little clearer out of the center hung speakers (if aligned properly and they are not splashing sound off the walls too much) than out of the peaveys.

Tim Barber

• Eastern Washington State
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 11:36:16 PM »

I would question cable/s and connections. 

Look for a cable tester.  Behringer CT-100 is inexpensive but can be used to ensure the wires are 1 to 1, 2 to 2 and 3 to 3.  It can be used to send a test signal to the mixer.

There are various cable testers available in various price ranges. 

Do you have any guitars or instruments that have 1/4 plugs that connect into XLR ?
Are they all plugged in when testing and getting the radio?  are they connected or laying out ?

Unplug the DI and the two vocal mic's.  The cables between the mics and the connection at the wall/floor may be questionable ?   The DI might have the 1/4 unbalanced TS  Tip Sleeve guitar card still plugged in and not connected to anything.

Believe me, I do have a CT-100 and it is getting a workout :)  I didn't have time to backtrack the vocal mics today, except that I know the issue is between the mic and the stage box.  On those channels, I have a dbx 266XL on insert, so I set up the gate to nuke the radio when there is no signal.  It's a bandaid, but might get me by until I get another chance to work with it.

On the guitar channel, there is a Boss Ad-8 modeling pedal that seems to be the culprit.  It has a 1/4 inch input, unbalanced 1/4 inch out to a guitar amp used as a monitor, and an XLR out to the system.  I unplugged the 1/4 cables and the radio was still there.  Touched the pedal and the radio got louder.  Unplug the XLR...no radio!  This was with the pedal off.  When I turned it on, the radio also went away or nearly so.  So this might be a non-issue for performance.  [fingers crossed]

The more I work with this system, the more I agree that the Peaveys were intended for front fill and the Fraziers were doing the heavy lifting.  Repairing them is looking like the best bang for the buck right now.

Anybody have a spare power supply for a Rane FPE-13?  I discovered that one of the PEQs in the rack is not powered on because its power supply is missing.  I will call Rane after the holiday and see what they say.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 06:41:46 AM »

So the xlr out is on the amp ?   You may want to us a mic on the amp for the guitar.  Is this a bass guitar? 
With most guitars it is normal to use a mic because the amp and sound from the amp is what is desired. 

With bass guitars using the amps di output is good but some do not work well and are replaced with an external provided DI. 
This gets a little tricky because some are passive and some are active.  So the passive gets active DI and active gets passive di. 

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 04:54:08 AM »

I do believe those Rane PS are unavailable.  They are insane on EBay and since Rane has full prints online building one is a simple task.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 11:31:22 AM »

I do believe those Rane PS are unavailable.  They are insane on EBay and since Rane has full prints online building one is a simple task.

Last time I contacted Rane about a missing power supply for a Serato box, they told me that it's quicker (and cheaper!) for me to just go to Radio Shack and buy a generic replacement!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 12:13:59 PM »

...since Rane has full prints online building one is a simple task.

http://www.rane.com/pdf/rs1dat.pdf
This space for rent

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2014, 06:22:32 AM »

You are not going to get one of those at rat shack.  I am not even sure the sell a center tapped transformer in store.  LM333 LM317 are your friends.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2014, 03:06:13 PM »

Touched the pedal and the radio got louder.  Unplug the XLR...no radio!  This was with the pedal off.  When I turned it on, the radio also went away or nearly so.  So this might be a non-issue for performance.  [fingers crossed]

The last time I had this issue, the shield of the cable was attached to both pin 1 and the shell of the XLR. Disconnecting the jumper from pin 1 to the shell fixed the problem.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim Barber

• Eastern Washington State
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 11:41:58 PM »

So, I have not had a lot of time recently to troubleshoot.  The gates I set up on the affected channels seem to be taking care of it, along with muting the channels when not in use, and I did not hear anything coming through at performance levels the last two Sundays.  So, problem not solved, but maybe not a major problem either.  I got some compliments on the sound yesterday, so that made me think we are moving in the right direction.  :)

My initial instructions when taking on this assignment were to look into getting a complete new system.  At this point, I am convinced that our problems were maybe 20% equipment-related, and 80% poor configuration and lack of training.  A shiny expensive new system won't fix anything by itself. 

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 10:58:19 AM »

At this point, I am convinced that our problems were maybe 20% equipment-related, and 80% poor configuration and lack of training.  A shiny expensive new system won't fix anything by itself.

WOO HOO! YOU GOT IT!! :)

Really, so many people think that they can throw shiny new gear at a "problem" and it'll make it "magically" disappear! Yes, to a certain point, there can be something that makes a marked improvement, but a lot of times, it's deployment and use that can cause issues.

I'm glad you have seen this, and you look to be moving in the right direction. Maybe I will come up with an excuse to be up that way in the next couple of months and I'll swing by and say hi.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 10:58:19 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.