ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro1 VS QL1  (Read 12734 times)

Vincent Ng

• Ving Media
Re: Pro1 VS QL1
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 02:06:04 AM »

One man setup?  No problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIorhNwDMaI&app=desktop

57 Lbs for just the stand itself?! HAHA. No thank you. Takes up way too much room.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 11:22:31 AM »

57 Lbs for just the stand itself?! HAHA. No thank you. Takes up way too much room.

Here in the "Classic LAB", most of our stuff weighs over 200 lbs.  57# is a monitor speaker...

The idea of the device in the video is that you never disassemble the mixer & stand.  It goes from van to venue and back into the van.  The split lids are used some something else according to the video post, but they also have the benefit of being easily handled by 1 person.  If you must routinely handle your mixer or amp racks or speakers by yourself, the stand as shown can save your back... the trade off of more space in the van or truck is of lesser consequence compared to a life of back pain... trust me.

In general I have this to say about equipment - gear is a tool to make money for you, used to deliver a service pleasing to your clients for which they are willing to select you over your competitors.  Your system is not a big personal stereo system; choices of equipment generally should be made based on what your clients are most willing to pay for or based on the rider or contract requirements of the entertainers or presenters your clients hire.

If you or your staff are the sole operators of your equipment, you're free to purchase whatever makes you happy.  If anyone else uses your stuff I think you're better off having what they want (or carefully chosen substitutions) even if those choices are not your personal preference.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Vincent Ng

• Ving Media
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 03:53:18 PM »

Here in the "Classic LAB", most of our stuff weighs over 200 lbs.  57# is a monitor speaker.

Yup that is true, however It's a different strategy for me. This board does multi purpose.
Small and lightweight enough to let a DJ borrow it. Large enough to do a full band.
With the Mixer being only 37lbs, I would not add another 57lbs. (There are other lighter and cheaper ways)
Especially some of my Church Clients. They don't have a van or truck to carry all the equipment.
Just Many People's SUVS. In my last 10 years, clients have only lost 2 replaceable screws.
Most of the smaller customers want something nice but also something that doesn't break their back.
Maybe you have not had too much clients in the Asian markets. But we are not as built as most other races.

This actually is more of a toy than a tool. However, it is a toy that makes money for me.
The mixer is a marketing tool. Most clients either use Analog/behringer/presonus.
However, then I give them the LS9 or this board. And they love you so much, they keep coming back.
(Free upgrade to the client) For me it is the only board I have.
So I don't have to inventory many different piece of equipment.

Especially some of my Church Clients. They don't have a van or truck to carry all the equipment.
Just Many People's SUVS. In my last 10 years, clients have only lost 2 replaceable screws.

Anyways, have you noticed that the mixer by far is the hardest equipment to earn money with?
It has the worst ROI.

John Penkala

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 04:25:38 PM »

Yup that is true, however It's a different strategy for me. This board does multi purpose.
Small and lightweight enough to let a DJ borrow it. Large enough to do a full band.
With the Mixer being only 37lbs, I would not add another 57lbs. (There are other lighter and cheaper ways)
Most of the smaller customers want something nice but also something that doesn't break their back.
Maybe you have not had too much clients in the Asian markets. But we are not as built as most other races.

This actually is more of a toy than a tool. However, it is a toy that makes money for me.
The mixer is a marketing tool. Most clients either use Analog/behringer/presonus.
However, then I give them the LS9 or this board. And they love you so much, they keep coming back.
(Free upgrade to the client) For me it is the only board I have.
So I don't have to inventory many different piece of equipment.

Anyways, have you noticed that the mixer by far is the hardest equipment to earn money with?
It has the worst ROI.

Vincent,
            I hope all is well. Thanks for the clarification of your situation/needs. Of the two mixers, the QL1 will be easier for most to get around. Especially, if the user is a DJ or a novice. If most of your competition is providing analog/Behringer/Presonus, and they are blown away with an LS9, you may want to consider the Midas M32, if it is not too big. It will be sonically superior to your competition and be easy to use for those who have X32 experience. It will also save you a few thousand $'s. 

-JP

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 04:29:25 PM »

It has the worst ROI.

Yes.  Back before the last ownership change here at PSW there was a great article in the Study Hall section about ROI, written by the owner of Logic Systems in St. Louis.  The paper laid out how certain 'big ticket items' rarely pay for themselves before they are obsolete either in technology or desirability.  Written 10 years ago, it featured large frame analog mixers as a prime example.

In most event/entertainment uses a suitable mixer (on scale with the rest of the system) is pretty much expected to be part of the whole package.  Only when a mixer must be hired in does it become a line item on the invoice.

A quick story (that I've told before) - sometime in the last century I was free lancing for an AV shop and the client asked me if we could do something that hadn't been previously discussed (and it seemed a little silly to me).  I assured them their request would receive immediate attention and went to find my boss.  I explained the customer request and my observations of it; he kindly informed me of this:  clients do not request silly things, clients give us the opportunity to add another line item to their invoice.

As for moving gear, I'm 5-7, 150lbs.  While I don't recommend it I routinely move equipment that is 2x my weight or more.  It's all in having the basic geometric shapes help: round things and angled things.  Ramps and wheels.  Regarding the miter saw cart, it's a cool idea if you mostly work alone, which is what the video poster does.  Packaging equipment is a toss up, and you may find yourself re-configuring things depending on where a piece of gear is being dispatched next, who is using it (technical ability) and how it is transported.  One approach does not fit all, as you've found.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:38:37 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 05:06:37 PM »

Yes.  Back before the last ownership change here at PSW there was a great article in the Study Hall section about ROI, written by the owner of Logic Systems in St. Louis.  The paper laid out how certain 'big ticket items' rarely pay for themselves before they are obsolete either in technology or desirability.  Written 10 years ago, it featured large frame analog mixers as a prime example.

Slight topic swerve, but Chip's article has often been referenced here - has anyone ever been able to find a copy and do a repost?  Or has Chip himself offered?  Although many of the (then) participants are no longer actively participating here, it's still very relevant information.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 05:18:50 PM »

The Bosch stand under my 4300 table saw is a much better stand, but the weight might indicate that as well. If anyone might be interested in that type of solution I'm sure it would work without modifications.

Unlike Tim I'm 5'10" and weigh just over 254lbs with not much fat. All that means is I've beaten my body over the years to a point where Tim can probably lift more than I can on his worst day.

A point on the video. Does anyone else think the X32 guy might be in line for a stroke?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 05:18:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 27 queries.