ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro1 VS QL1  (Read 12747 times)

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
Re: Pro1 VS QL1
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 07:18:08 PM »

I think that both have their merits, If sound quietly alone was the deciding factor I would vote midas. I like the feel and workflow of it as well. I just took delivery on a Pro2 and I am absolutely in love with the thing.

However the Yamaha is physically much smaller and basically just as capable. if you are a one man show and will be setting this up by your self all of the time then I would look not further than the yamaha. You would not want to have to lift the midas alone.

Peter Morris

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 07:49:58 PM »

These are both small desks with a limited number of faders. This is where the Midas POP group operation really shines. The Midas does not have a touch screen but it is bright; probably the best desk I have used in sunlight.

The Midas cannot do Pre fader, Pre – EQ Aux sends - that may not be an issue for you and there are work arounds when doing monitors from FOH.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 08:04:10 PM »

IMHO, i think the choice has more to do with what kind of work you're going to be doing more than anything.  If you're doing a lot of music with Band Engineers, i think they're gonna be happier with the Pro1.  If you're doing more corporate talking head type of shows, you're gonna be WAY happier with the QL1.

Don't get me wrong.  Either desk can perform very well in either capacity.  But Midas definitely has more of a  reputation as a Music Mixing console, and Yamaha definitely has the edge in the Corporate market.

If it were me, i'd go with the QL1.  But that's just because i think it's extremely awesome.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Vincent Ng

• Ving Media
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 08:28:26 PM »

I think I am now leaning on the QL1:
1. Smaller Mixer - One Man set up
2. Dante - I forgot my Shure Wireless has Dante
3. Due to dante, I don't need an RIO.
4. If I need more channels, for now I would just add an YGDAI card - the 8 channel input card

This setup at least gives me 32 channels with the wireless setup using the Dante and my old snake.

This makes the price at least $1000 cheaper with Yamaha and now I need to get a flight case....

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 09:03:53 PM »

A suggestion on the road case design.  We have been getting cases for the last several Yamaha consoles in inventory from LM Cases in Chicago.  Their CL & QL cases have the console rest on a tray that also incorporates the doghouse.  This allows lifting the console and doghouse out of the case entirely for table operation.  Great for a clean look without roadcase corners and extrusion in view during the show.  It also means that the case can be closed completely and rolled away to dead world without finding that someone has dumped a beer or a gut full of bad dinner ( don't laugh ) in the foam of the open lid.

I expect that other case makes can do something similar.

... and now I need to get a flight case....

John Penkala

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »

I think I am now leaning on the QL1:
1. Smaller Mixer - One Man set up
2. Dante - I forgot my Shure Wireless has Dante
3. Due to dante, I don't need an RIO.
4. If I need more channels, for now I would just add an YGDAI card - the 8 channel input card

This setup at least gives me 32 channels with the wireless setup using the Dante and my old snake.

This makes the price at least $1000 cheaper with Yamaha and now I need to get a flight case....

You should know that your Shure ULXD's be patched via Dante but they cannot be controlled by the console just yet. Your level out of the receiver has to be adjusted at the receiver. We should see better integration in a future firmware release.

John Penkala

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 10:01:10 PM »

IMHO, i think the choice has more to do with what kind of work you're going to be doing more than anything.  If you're doing a lot of music with Band Engineers, i think they're gonna be happier with the Pro1.  If you're doing more corporate talking head type of shows, you're gonna be WAY happier with the QL1.

Don't get me wrong.  Either desk can perform very well in either capacity.  But Midas definitely has more of a  reputation as a Music Mixing console, and Yamaha definitely has the edge in the Corporate market.

+1

I chose a QL1 because I do alot of corporate work. If the Midas had auto-mixing, I might own it.

FWIW, The QL1 sounds fantastic. I didn't expect it to sound as good as it does. For bands, I use the QL1 for the FOH mix and I use an X32 Rack with a Dante card for monitors. I do multitrack recordings of shows using Nuendo Live via Dante Virtual Soundcard. The transport of Nuendo Live on the laptop is controled via the QL1. Yamaha did a great job on this one.

-JP

Vincent Ng

• Ving Media
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 12:42:11 AM »

A suggestion on the road case design.  We have been getting cases for the last several Yamaha consoles in inventory from LM Cases in Chicago.  Their CL & QL cases have the console rest on a tray that also incorporates the doghouse.  This allows lifting the console and doghouse out of the case entirely for table operation.  Great for a clean look without roadcase corners and extrusion in view during the show.  It also means that the case can be closed completely and rolled away to dead world without finding that someone has dumped a beer or a gut full of bad dinner ( don't laugh ) in the foam of the open lid.

Thanks for the case suggestion. Their cases look great!!

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 10:07:42 AM »

Bill Mills was ordering a case for a client from LM that he showed me that looked really cool.  It had a luggage style handle and wheels.  It also had the lift out doghouse thing you're talking about.  They even made sure to put bumper in the right places so that the wheels on one edge didn't make it sit at an angle when it was in a resting position.  Really cool design. 
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 12:50:44 AM »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 12:50:44 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.